Can the new Bronco stack up against the Jeep Wrangler?

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
If you say so. It’s going to be real obvious when people start taking these things out without lockers.

ground clearance doesn’t mean much when half your tires are hanging in the air with the power going to the wrong ones.

lockers are definitely a MUST have, they are a great tool to have, but they won’t do you any good; unless, you can clear the obstacle first.

blk02edge

Established Member
95% of the reason the bronco will do well off-road is because of the lockers. Not the ifs.
I'm quite aware. Lockers, tires, stability are the main key points. My point is the IFS does not detract from that, IFS can and does flex (not in any oem until now). The big thing about IFS is it's always been known as weak and shitty because no one has ever put any factory effort into it before. That has only started changing recently with SXS tech and then in Ultra4 the IFS now dominates. This Bronco is the FIRST time we have seen a factory effort into rock crawling with IFS, The aftermarket is going to go wild. Suspension travel is far superior on IFS vs a SFA and this is not debatable. Being able to keep momentum going up without bouncing is a beautiful thing. Something I have years of first hand experience with. Seeing Jeeps that SHOULD make a mockery of my truck just don't.

Stock Toyota's rock crawling.... hahahahahahaha
I am far form an offroad expert, but how “stock” is that ranger you are referencing? I think I see some far from factory hardware under there, along with some body modifications.
You are correct, this truck is an extreme example because it was built by Kibbetech and the Ken block team. BUT. It's using all the OEM a arm pivot points. What you see there is actually easily achievable with a $5k total chaos kit plus 3.0 coilovers of your choice.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm quite aware. Lockers, tires, stability are the main key points. My point is the IFS does not detract from that, IFS can and does flex (not in any oem until now). The big thing about IFS is it's always been known as weak and shitty because no one has ever put any factory effort into it before. That has only started changing recently with SXS tech and then in Ultra4 the IFS now dominates. This Bronco is the FIRST time we have seen a factory effort into rock crawling with IFS, The aftermarket is going to go wild. Suspension travel is far superior on IFS vs a SFA and this is not debatable. Being able to keep momentum going up without bouncing is a beautiful thing. Something I have years of first hand experience with. Seeing Jeeps that SHOULD make a mockery of my truck just don't.

Stock Toyota's rock crawling.... hahahahahahaha

You are correct, this truck is an extreme example because it was built by Kibbetech and the Ken block team. BUT. It's using all the OEM a arm pivot points. What you see there is actually easily achievable with a $5k total chaos kit plus 3.0 coilovers of your choice.

whats even more laughable are rangers.... lol

Tacoma shits ALL over the ranger.

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member
Looking forward to rescuing and winching these new guys out of places they shouldn't be.

It will be like a gym on Jan 1st. All the newbs out on the trails trying to hang with the big boys.

It is a nice looking vehicle though. Give it a few years and let them work out the kinks. Glad Ford stepped up their game. Jeep needed a legit contender.

Even the gladiator fell on its face in extreme conditions. That long wheel base and all. Ive seen them have to reverse out and off a trail. Cant turn sharp and climb at the same time.

Sent from my SM-G986U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
...I don’t see any Jeep fan boy or girl moving to Ford.

Along with owning various Mustangs most of my life I've always owned a Ford truck. All of them modded. I retired and with no more reason to daily a truck and looked for something a little smaller but with some beef. I owned a Scout years ago and wanted something along those lines but new. Disappointed with what Ford and GM had to offer I crossed over and looked at Jeeps. I always saw them as a girl's vehicle to be quite honest. So I looked into how to add some beef and make one the way I wanted one. I ended up buying a number of AEV and miscellaneous parts to get the job done and then went and ordered a Rubicon that I thought would work. The day it showed up at the dealer I drove it home and started gutting it.

aadf21ed-3e1e-414b-b4a7-60c7978a7b2a.jpg~original-X3.jpg

It has served me well for 7 years now. Fuel economy is poor and the power is fairly inadequate but I'm not complaining as it gets the job done. When I heard Ford planned on a Bronco my ears definitely perked up. I knew right away they'd never go solid axle up front and that they would squeeze by with relatively small engines. I promised myself that if they did it right though that I'd take a serious look and make the leap if it checked all the boxes that were important to me.

So I'm no Jeep fan boy but there was no way I was giving anything up just to say I bought a Bronco. I've studied everything about it and color me impressed with the engineering and construction. I'm getting one from Nick as I told him my next Ford was coming from him after the GT500 I got from him. I'm actually excited about it and will be paying very close attention to see if Ford ****s it up along the way or genuinely puts their heart into it. So far, I see no reason to believe they won't deliver on a heck of a rig.

john11gt

Established Member
They are both junk at being trucks so... Who cares. Tacoma doesn't really shit on anything, they are a boring appliance that are driven by gardeners and terrorists in the middle east

I REALLY like Tacoma’s, like 2013ish body. I think they’re a super sharp looking truck that would be good for outdoor stuff, like taking a rough trail to a good camping spot or to a good fishing spot, or hauling kayaks and fishing poles etc. I don’t see them as a REAL off-road rig, not the newer ones at least.

I seriously considered buying one before I bought my duramax but the fact that they just can’t tow much was really the deciding factor for me.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
What do you know? You probably shouldn’t be pushing it that hard regardless if it’s IFS or a solid axle if you’re by yourself.

Rule #1 is don’t go wheeling by yourself but what do I kbow

I know quite a bit. Own two fisher price rigs and wheel in my backyard quite often. By myself.

I’d say “Rule #1” for me is “know your limitations”. Hasn’t failed me yet!

john11gt

Established Member
I know quite a bit. Own two fisher price rigs and wheel in my backyard quite often. By myself.

Even knowing your limitations, shit can break and leave you stranded. Knowing your limitations is definitely top 3, imo.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
I REALLY like Tacoma’s, like 2013ish body. I think they’re a super sharp looking truck that would be good for outdoor stuff, like taking a rough trail to a good camping spot or to a good fishing spot, or hauling kayaks and fishing poles etc. I don’t see them as a REAL off-road rig, not the newer ones at least.

I seriously considered buying one before I bought my duramax but the fact that they just can’t tow much was really the deciding factor for me.

why do you say, the old ones and not the new ones? What can the old ones do that the new ones can’t?

not and off-roading rig? What do you consider and off-roading rig? What kind of terrain?

john11gt

Established Member
why do you say, the old ones and not the new ones? What can the old ones do that the new ones can’t?

not and off-roading rig? What do you consider and off-roading rig? What kind of terrain?

I’m kind of lumping the newer Tacoma in with the older Toyota pickups, pre 87 that still had the solid front.

Not an off-roading rig because of the same reasons I feel about this new bronco, mainly the ifs. The Tacoma, as well as the bronco, will be good for easier trails and some smaller rock stuff. Could they go over large rocks and the like? Maybe, we’ll see... cv shafts are usually the weak link with ifs.

blk02edge

Established Member

Honestly like them too, I considered one but they just don't really do anything well and when I looked at some pre owned (2015-2017) they all looked like they were falling apart so I just didn't bother looking any harder. If I were going to go midsize it would be the Canyon/Colorado.

john11gt

Established Member
Honestly like them too, I considered one but they just don't really do anything well and when I looked at some pre owned (2015-2017) they all looked like they were falling apart so I just didn't bother looking any harder. If I were going to go midsize it would be the Canyon/Colorado.

I’ve always liked the first gen Colorado, when it was still a mini truck. I’ve always had a soft spot for small trucks like that, older Toyota’s and MJs.

john11gt

Established Member
DA4878D6-122A-46C2-A93E-28223B247B61.jpeg

Post up your rigs. I just sold my xj earlier this year. Mine is the orange one in the rear.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
I’m kind of lumping the newer Tacoma in with the older Toyota pickups, pre 87 that still had the solid front.

Not an off-roading rig because of the same reasons I feel about this new bronco, mainly the ifs. The Tacoma, as well as the bronco, will be good for easier trails and some smaller rock stuff. Could they go over large rocks and the like? Maybe, we’ll see... cv shafts are usually the weak link with ifs.

new Tacoma’s (16+) , are essentially an improved version of the “old” ones (05-15). New Tacoma’s are more off road capable that the old ones.

IFS is not as stout as solid axle but it’s plenty and then some for some legit trails and off road. Even rock crawling.

john11gt

Established Member
new Tacoma’s (16+) , are essentially an improved version of the “old” ones (05-15). New Tacoma’s are more off road capable that the old ones.

IFS is not as stout as solid axle but it’s plenty and then some for some legit trails and off road. Even rock crawling.

I agree and for the majority of the people, the bronco and it’s ifs will be fine. For me, it’s just personal preference, I just don’t like ifs for wheeling.

Users who are viewing this thread