Carbinite pulley on a DD

92fiveohfox

Established Member
Is this a regular thing with gas? To get bad gas from the pump? Btw...it happens when in neutral rev as well. Goes all the way to 5.

Also, I don't have a WG anymore. Just a 3.33 pulley. First log

Hmm... after 6800 in 2nd and 3rd gear your maf frequency(air being shoved in) MAY be flattening but its hard to tell since you let off/shifted at 7100. Could be slipping still. What your limiter at? A 73-7400 pull would be good but DONT do it until your knock problem is fixed. Also yes its common to get bad gas, but you DONT want to WOT with that much knock. I would try a different station next time.

Last edited:

lshin037

Established Member
Hmm... after 6800 in 2nd and 3rd gear your maf frequency(air being shoved in) MAY be flattening but its hard to tell since you let off/shifted at 7100. Could be slipping still. What your limiter at? A 73-7400 pull would be good but DONT do it until your knock problem is fixed. Also yes its common to get bad gas, but you DONT want to WOT with that much knock. I would try a different station next time.

Thanks for the heads up. Not sure what my limiter is set to. Never asked Lund about it.

lshin037

Established Member
Also how much mileage have u put on the carbonite pulley

Put a bottle of Lucas octane booster and filled it up. My first log showed as high as 6. The second one, about 15 min of normal driving, showed a max of 1.3. I sent those logs to Lund as well.

The pulley has about 1600 miles on it so far

92fiveohfox

Established Member
Put a bottle of Lucas octane booster and filled it up. My first log showed as high as 6. The second one, about 15 min of normal driving, showed a max of 1.3. I sent those logs to Lund as well.

The pulley has about 1600 miles on it so far

I wouldn't worry as much about normal driving knock. Also when you log just do a 3rd(or maybe its 4th on a mt) gear pull from 2k-whatever rpm. Sometimes you can get false knock from tirespin/shifting noises. Unless Lund has told you to do a 1st-3rd log or you are at the track. If you are seeing 6 degrees of knock at WOT, do NOT WOt it. I wouldnt mess with it anymore till Lund looks at the logs.

Last edited:

lshin037

Established Member
I wouldn't worry as much about normal driving knock. Also when you log just do a 3rd(or maybe its 4th on a mt) gear pull from 2k-whatever rpm. Sometimes you can get false knock from tirespin/shifting noises. Unless Lund has told you to do a 1st-3rd log or you are at the track. If you are seeing 6 degrees of knock at WOT, do NOT WOt it. I wouldnt mess with it anymore till Lund looks at the logs.

Thanks. The logs I did today show the knocks coming in between 2500 - 4000 rpm. They don't show up below or above it.

lshin037

Established Member
Lund said the knocking might be false or bad tank of gas but suggested I check/replace the plugs, especially since I've put 9000 miles on them. Man, I didn't know you had to replace plugs that often. Kinda regret going FI now....not really but you know what I mean

RusWolf

Established Member
^^^^ That depends on a tuner.
I probably have 15K on my plugs and when i was getting retuned for the east coast last october by Rev Auto i brough a new set of plugs and i told/asked that i have new plugs and if we should replace. After he strapped the car down and did his eval he said there is no need to change plugs and what i have in there now do what he needs.

I thought 3.33 pulley is around 14-15PSI ?

Riptide

Established Member
If you put Lucas in and got significant reductions in knock then it's not your plugs. You got bad fuel and/or too much timing in the tune.

I had a bad tank of 91 that showed well over 4 degrees of knock on a 3rd gear pull. Timing was being retarded all the way back to 10 degrees. I put some race fuel in the tank and that completely cured the issue immediately. Burned that stuff off, put another tank of 91 in from a different station, and had no issues. It is BS these fuel stations get away with selling this trash but somehow they fly under the radar and zero ****s are given.

lshin037

Established Member
The knock seems to be going away. I did a 3rd gear pull from 2k and no knock at all. I'll keep monitoring but looks ok.

How are you supposed to look out for bad gas? We have a big chain called Quiktrip here and always put gas there. I thought they were better than the rest.

Riptide

Established Member
You can get bad gasoline from anywhere. I got mine from Conoco, a top tier provider. "Quality Gasoline" on the sign even. LOL

All you can do is find a station where you got a good tank from, stay with it, and do occasional logs to check on the quality. Or make sure you have Lucas or Torco in the tank every time you plan on doing pulls.

E85 is a great alternative but is unavailable in many places.

92fiveohfox

Established Member
His timing was only at 14.5 peak(before knock pulling spark) so not high at all. If the Knock is gone I would chalk it up to bad gas. Log it again on your next tank if you are worried.

lshin037

Established Member
Lund recommended not running WOT until changing the plugs. Gotta listen to your tuner so I'm gonna replace them and log again.

Users who are viewing this thread