Carbinite pulley on a DD

lshin037

Established Member
Plugs replaced. They didn't look bad. I did some normal driving logs and it seems that the knocks are coming when shifting or when the BOV discharges. I just happen to glance over at the tablet and saw spikes when shifting. It's the JPC Tial Q kit and it's loud. Wonder if that's what's causing false knocks. Anyone have similar experience?

d99d64860289a7ac206afeed2f72a099.jpg
00ffe691c5aaca2df615447d3acf6008.jpg

lshin037

Established Member
well not bad overall i think. because some vendors made it sound like you would have to change it every 2 weeks,.

Carbinite pulleys are mainly used in competition where they're using rougher texture and pushing a lot more boost. They probably HAVE to change it out very often. This pulley is not as rough (100 or 80 grit, I think) and I'm not pushing my motor that much compared to those guys. I think that's what they're referring to.

lshin037

Established Member
normal driving isn't going to kill the belt, 1/4 mile or wot hits will kill the belt

I've been driving my car harder lately for datalogging after I removed the WG, relocated the IAT sensor, and installed a water meth system. And few "runs" with drivers thinking its a stock GT. Belt is still good but, like I said, still too early to consider it a success. If the belt holds up to around 10k, I'll consider it a success and keep it

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
the only way to know for sure, would be to hit the track, make a couple hits on the belt on it now

then throw a fresh on and make 2 hits, thats really the only way to know

but i like what your doing

mhyjek

Established Member
I've been driving my car harder lately for datalogging after I removed the WG, relocated the IAT sensor, and installed a water meth system. And few "runs" with drivers thinking its a stock GT. Belt is still good but, like I said, still too early to consider it a success. If the belt holds up to around 10k, I'll consider it a success and keep it
Did Lund open the knock sensors for you because of IAT relocation and meth; that made a difference for me at the track like 3mph which is about 75 whp.

lshin037

Established Member
Got a chance to wire in my MAP sensor (used with my Aeroforce gauge) by tapping the 5v signal line into the SCT tuner via firewire cable. Below is a datalog. Graph only shows RPM vs MAP voltage. Peak was 11psi (4.33v) but that was going to 6800 rpm. Seems linear to me except for the erratic voltage readings. Are MAP voltage readings supposed to be like that? Any sign of slippage?

b93ef92f18dd8d3a22cca4c8207ac760.jpg

lshin037

Established Member
So I have put about 10K miles on the belt. Belt has been chirping for a few weeks and it was moving side to side. I replaced it to see what it looks like. As you can see in the pictures below, it was worn to the point that it was showing the threads. It did last 10K but changing the belt is a pita. Some have said it takes them 30 minutes. I've replaced the belt about 4-5 times and it doesn't get easier for me.

fab628d86ea037773cc8a969835e8f46.jpg
Threads showing

Here's a lightly used belt for reference
76b90107087aad435eade37a85615678.jpg

I filed the pulley to get it a little less rough and installed a fresh belt. We'll see how this goes

ford20

Established Member
On a DD you're probably talking about a belt a month honestly. Carbintied pulleys are like sand paper and can burn up belts in 8-12 passes. Street miles will burn them up pretty quickly too.

Going with something larger like a 3.6 pulley and a OD lower will mean you may not have to swap belts for a year or two.

I have a feeling that this is the way to go instead of filing down the pulley.

justinsstang

Established Member
I was considering doing a 3.15 carbinite pulley from the 3.33 for a DD while leaving the 9.7psi spring in just to reach peak boost even faster. After seeing that belt after 10k miles, however, no thanks. Changing the belt is a pita with the Paxton and I don't want to have to do it any more than I have to lol.

That said, maybe leave the 3.33 on and get the 20% OD pulley? This is a DD stock bottom end car.

I've read it's not recommended to run the 3.15 (20% OD in this case) with the wastegate on stock motor but I never understood the problem with it. It's no different than a TVS on 10psi which peaks torque immediately at an even lower rpm, so whats the issue with that setup?

Users who are viewing this thread