Carroll Shelby Spills the Beans on 2007 Cobra

Snorman

Gaining fast...
Established Member
What you need to look at is the cost delta between the '03/'04 Cobra engine and the GT engine.
I suspect it's not as high as some people think it is.
S.

djt81185

Established Member
WDW MKR said:
I do realize. Do you realize the financial shithole that companies like Ford and GM are in? It is not their business to sell us the baddest car for the cheap price. It is their business to make the largest amount of profit as possible. They cannot accomplish that by selling motors for anywhere near cost. Also, "cost" does not pertain only to materials. You have to figure R&D, procurement, tooling, etc. I assure you that a GT motor costs a hell of a lot more than $2k even before all of these things are considered.

yes all that is paid for. tooling is the biggest initial outlay for any of these projects. But R&D for the most part is left up to the company that is making the part mostly. That and the big comapnies are squeezing every last penny out of their suppliers. im telling you those engines cost nowhere near what you say they do. Plus this isnt a brand new engine...the engines are modular...4v heads are already developed 5.4 rods and pistons...developed, crank developed, new tooling had to be made for the aluminum block ok. i mean hell if u look at it the gt motor was built almost completely off the shelf...(for the most part in terms of development and r&d) I mean if they can sell cars for 9k invoice to dealer new and still make 1-2k on a car that right there can show you how cheap items are. and im repeating myself...economies of scale...it keeps getting cheaper the more they produce...tho in theory it will eventually become more expensive to make at a point but i doubt they will reach it. what does ford charge u for a complete clutch/flywheel assembly? what about say a bumper? i can guarantee you both them items come in at under 35 bucks their cost

WDW MKR

Established Member
I deal with suppliers everyday, and completely understand what you're getting at. I think you're just taking it to the extreme. Ford does not pay under $35 for a 03/04 Cobra clutch and flywheel assembly. Hell, I've been involved with various injection molding companies that sell parts directly to Ford. I've seen some of what plastic parts are sold for, which was more than you're quoting for a heavy duty clutch and flywheel assembly.

Yes, Ford overcharges for parts. It's called profit, and that's how they make their living. Considering we have no clue what motor will be in the car, no idea how close the concept will be to the production car, and no clue if the SVT Mustang will meet the same demise as the concept Lightning, we'll just agree to disagree.

LedVenom281

Zoso
Established Member
With all of our hopes high, I hope the price tag on the next generation Cobra doesn't bring them down. Every rumor I have heard about what the 07' Cobra is going to be equipt with, it sounds like the SVT Cobra will be around $45K MSRP. As for the Shelby's, GT500 & GT350, I don't know. I assume they will be more than the SVT due to limited production.

crazyhorse06

Established Member
LedVenom281 said:
With all of our hopes high, I hope the price tag on the next generation Cobra doesn't bring them down. Every rumor I have heard about what the 07' Cobra is going to be equipt with, it sounds like the SVT Cobra will be around $45K MSRP. As for the Shelby's, GT500 & GT350, I don't know. I assume they will be more than the SVT due to limited production.
I seriously doubt Ford would raise the price $10k. The new Mustangs and the new F150 changed only minimally. Both of those cars were dramatically improved. I could see a small bump up to $5k (which is really a large bump), but not $10k. It'll price itself out of the market. I personally would pay $45k for a car with the GT motor, better interior, better suspension (IRS) and all the rumored stuff, but, most people won't pay that much more.

crispy23c

SVT Chupacabra
Established Member
I would, too...if it wasn't de-tuned. I would be alot happier if it came in @$40k for the hardtop, $45k for the convertible (which was where all ther rumors were previously pointing to). $45-$50k starts geting pricey, in my opinion. This would be a harder sell, and I do not think Ford wants to build cars so they can sit on their dealer's lots. Just my .02...

djt81185

Established Member
WDW MKR said:
I deal with suppliers everyday, and completely understand what you're getting at. I think you're just taking it to the extreme. Ford does not pay under $35 for a 03/04 Cobra clutch and flywheel assembly. Hell, I've been involved with various injection molding companies that sell parts directly to Ford. I've seen some of what plastic parts are sold for, which was more than you're quoting for a heavy duty clutch and flywheel assembly.

Yes, Ford overcharges for parts. It's called profit, and that's how they make their living. Considering we have no clue what motor will be in the car, no idea how close the concept will be to the production car, and no clue if the SVT Mustang will meet the same demise as the concept Lightning, we'll just agree to disagree.

actaully iirc 35 is about all it cost ford for the cobra assembly. the new 05 clutches and assembly are under 35. And if i told u how i know...then they'd know who i am :thumbsup:

psucobra

Established Member
Honestly, I dont see what all the excitement is about with 5.4 a twinscrew sc making 500hp. Arent 4.6's with twinscrew sc's making over 500hp at the wheels? If the new Cobra already comes with a twin screw (whipple) what does that do to the aftermarket? I hate to be the skeptic here but I think we are all going to be a little disappointed in the final HP numbers. I just dont see how Ford is going to get a 500hp regular production vehicle past the CAFE/Gas Gussler Laws. Its gonna take more than a little upshiift light. Just voicing my opinion here, but I think the PRODUCTION 06/07 SVT Cobra will be somewhere in the neighborhood of 425 HP and Shelbys around 450-500hp. If you listen closely to what they are saying at SVT, the new Cobra doesnt need to be this muscular HP beast. Its going to be more of a world class sports car, breaking cornering, ride quality, etc. My bet is that SVT is banking on selling this new cobra on the premise of being a world class sports car with a modest increase in HP and on the strength of the new platform. I hope Im wrong. Looking back at SVT over the years there has only been a modest increase in power with each change in body style. I think the same will hold true here.

Last edited:

quick5pnt0

Established Member
psucobra said:
Looking back at SVT over the years there has only been a modest increase in power with each change in body style. I think the same will hold true here.

I'm not saying it will have 500hp, but i also wouldnt say they were modest power increases either.

From 94-95 to 96-98 we got a 65hp increase, or from 94-95 to 99-02 we got an 80hp increase. Then from 99-02 to 03-04 we got another 70hp increase.
So if the next cobra got the same hp increase as the last two major increases got it would put it at 455hp-470hp.

AbusiveWombat

Established Member
If the Cobra comes in at or above 40k then consider it a failure. The price point for any mustang must be below 40k. Above 40k and you're competing directly with the vette which has a lot more technology, better reliability, better handling, better fuel economy, and is much more exclusive. Sure, some of you are more than willing to part with 45k but ford needs more than a few Mustang junkies to float the boat.

psucobra

Established Member
crazyhorse06 said:
torque.

I'll take the factory warranty with my whipple rather than add it later.

I'll take my HP under the table so that I can hide it from the insurance and tax man then take my chances with the factory warranty that isnt worth the paper its written on.

psucobra

Established Member
quick5pnt0 said:
I'm not saying it will have 500hp, but i also wouldnt say they were modest power increases either.

From 94-95 to 96-98 we got a 65hp increase, or from 94-95 to 99-02 we got an 80hp increase. Then from 99-02 to 03-04 we got another 70hp increase.
So if the next cobra got the same hp increase as the last two major increases got it would put it at 455hp-470hp.

Look specifically at the years the body style changed.
93-94 =5hp
95- 96 (power plant change/minor appearance) =65hp(questionable)
98-99 = 15hp

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I still say the next Cobra will be 425-430 hp. And a Shelby model (GT500?) with 500hp. Ain't this fun?

jshen

Established Member
Gt500

Since the car being unveiled will sit beside two Shelby GT500's I expect it will have 500 hp advertised with a GT500 logo.......My .02 worth

quick5pnt0

Established Member
In a press release about a new SUT (sport trac adrenalin) Ford stated that it will go onsale at the same time as the "Ford Shelby Cobra GT500" in 2006. Whether there will also be an "SVT Cobra" i dont know, but i think this is pretty official that they are calling one of them the "Ford Shelby Cobra GT500"

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread