Car's back at the dealership for tranny problems

PhillyLS1

Established Member
It's a combination of a few things.

The MT82 isn't a great transmission. And that's putting it lightly.

However you have people on here speed shifting from light to light expecting the trans to shift like a built trans.

Ford manual transmissions have always sucked. This is nothing new.

Too40gawlf

Banned

However you have people on here speed shifting from light to light expecting the trans to shift like a built trans.

Ford manual transmissions have always sucked. This is nothing new.

Again, bullshit.

Have you ever owned a Mustang besides a Coyote with an MT-82?

The T45 in my 96GT went 160K miles of absolute abuse. I mean torment. The only thing it ever got was a King Cobra clutch at 100K miles. It shifted just as smooth and crisp the day I got rid of it at 160K miles as it did when I got it.

Guess what? The T45 in my 99GT went 156K miles. Again, all it ever got was a King Cobra clutch to replace the OEM at about 100K miles. Let me tell you, if my 96 was abused, my 99 was absolutely annihilated mercilessly. Hole shots at light, severe downshifting through turns, redline shifts about everyday. Not a peep.

So please don't tell me the Mustang is a car that shouldnt be driven hard or wrung out - thats why theyre Mustangs and not Camrys.

And if your excuse is that a 215hp 96 and a 260hp 99GT are different than a 400hp 5.0, then thats the fault of the pencil dick engineers at Ford for not mating a transmission that can stand up to the OEM motor they have in the car.

Last edited:

ryan.garcia2733

Established Member
It's because u can't drive!!!!

That's what everyone kept telling me!!!! I went through 3 of those stupid shitty things. I ordered a t56 magnum and have no regrets shifts like butter and hasn't blown yet on e85 ( knock on wood). My mt82's(all 3 of them) all blew up on the first run with E85. Just saying mt82 is trash!!!! Been ragging it on E85 with the t56 for like 300 miles and feels amazing. Then again I did pay an arm and a leg for this thing!!!!

BPatterson

Established Member
My transmission isn't blown or locked up, I just can't make a WOT 1-2 shift. I think it has more to do with the stock GT pressure plate, and the fact I'm shifting at 7700. I just don't think it can handle it.

Funny5.0

Established Member
There's no way you and your family have 4 MT-82s that are operating perfectly. Either they dont get driven hard, have not developed issues yet, or you guys make excuses for the poor performance of the transmission.
So you're basically calling me a liar:rollseyes I don't know what to tell you:shrug: All have run fine. We have not experienced any of the issues I've seen reported on the internet.
All have been driven quite hard(not abused) and have seen the track.
There are obviously defective MT-82's out there but I've never experienced this.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Again, bullshit.

Have you ever owned a Mustang besides a Coyote with an MT-82?

The T45 in my 96GT went 160K miles of absolute abuse. I mean torment. The only thing it ever got was a King Cobra clutch at 100K miles. It shifted just as smooth and crisp the day I got rid of it at 160K miles as it did when I got it.

Guess what? The T45 in my 99GT went 156K miles. Again, all it ever got was a King Cobra clutch to replace the OEM at about 100K miles. Let me tell you, if my 96 was abused, my 99 was absolutely annihilated mercilessly. Hole shots at light, severe downshifting through turns, redline shifts about everyday. Not a peep.

So please don't tell me the Mustang is a car that shouldnt be driven hard or wrung out - thats why theyre Mustangs and not Camrys.

And if your excuse is that a 215hp 96 and a 260hp 99GT are different than a 400hp 5.0, then thats the fault of the pencil dick engineers at Ford for not mating a transmission that can stand up to the OEM motor they have in the car.

Translation.......

Tremec from Mexico, good.

Getrag from China, bad.

See, that was easy.

However, nothing is perfect. The T6060 in my GT500 had its own issues. I wasn't able to shift from 4th to 5th at WOT during high speed runs. The transmission would only grind. In later year model GT500's, people had issues with the 1-2 shift and grinding. Not me, that was perfect. My solution was to end the race at the top of 4th gear.

Last edited:

bam2012@TBR

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
This is my first mustang, but I had an 04 gto with t56 before my 5.0. I have over 26k miles on it and the last 8k with paxton installed. Stock clutch, mgw shifter, braided clutch line, dot4 fluid, helper spring removed, b&g trans fluid, and poly motor mounts. My car has never been tracked, but I get on it daily. Good luck with your issue, but at 600whp my trans is still going strong.

I shift at 7k, so maybe you need to upgrade your clutch to the boss, and remove your helper spring.

BPatterson

Established Member
Helper spring has been removed for 20K miles. I have all the tranny mods done besides upgrading the clutch. I'm at the point I'm considering removing the Boss intake after the replace the transmission, and selling the car.

bam2012@TBR

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Helper spring has been removed for 20K miles. I have all the tranny mods done besides upgrading the clutch. I'm at the point I'm considering removing the Boss intake after the replace the transmission, and selling the car.

I believe from what I have read, not personnal experience that you issue is the stock clutch at the high rpms you are shifting at. If you drive your car right now and shift at 7200rpm what happens? Boss clutch with new trans seems like the fix you need, but not sure if dealer would do that.

BPatterson

Established Member
I believe from what I have read, not personnal experience that you issue is the stock clutch at the high rpms you are shifting at. If you drive your car right now and shift at 7200rpm what happens? Boss clutch with new trans seems like the fix you need, but not sure if dealer would do that.

I don't bother shifting at 7200. It's pointless to shift a boss intake car any less than 7700. You're defeating it's purpose. If I were to ever replace the clutch, it wouldn't be with a Boss piece.

WHITEMACH

Established Member
from my personal exp,,, when car had stock intake and was shifted at 6800-7000 my trans worked great!
when I went to the boss intake and shifted at 7500 plus ,my trans simply flew apart!!!!!! I had 3 trans and they couldn't take the above 7+ rpm.

Funny5.0

Established Member
Man all these threads I keep knocking on wood. 28k miles zero issues.

glad I traded my 11 6M for the 12 AUTO

It's funny, because of threads like this, my son traded his first 11' 5.0 manual in for an auto and was bored to death after a month. he ended up trading back to the manual and has been very happy with his decision. Has been over a year now. :rollseyes
If one loves driving manual and doesn't plan on drag racing or making huge power, there's nothing wrong with the MT-82. If it breaks Ford will fix it.:D

Last edited:

Black11gt

Established Member
Mine is at the dealship as well.

It seems like the MT82 is really hit or miss. Ive done everything I can to aid this transmission in doing what it was designed to. Ive added Mcloed RTX twin disc, GT500 clutch pedal assembly, JHR clutch line, MGW shifter and it STILL locks me out of 2nd anything over 6k rpm. if the car is spinning it may still engage, but when it is hooking it never wants to go in. it acts as if there is literally NOTHING there, then after a second or two magically the 2nd gear synchros appear and I can put it in. so strange. :shrug:

BPatterson

Established Member
from my personal exp,,, when car had stock intake and was shifted at 6800-7000 my trans worked great!
when I went to the boss intake and shifted at 7500 plus ,my trans simply flew apart!!!!!! I had 3 trans and they couldn't take the above 7+ rpm.

Mine is at the dealship as well.

It seems like the MT82 is really hit or miss. Ive done everything I can to aid this transmission in doing what it was designed to. Ive added Mcloed RTX twin disc, GT500 clutch pedal assembly, JHR clutch line, MGW shifter and it STILL locks me out of 2nd anything over 6k rpm. if the car is spinning it may still engage, but when it is hooking it never wants to go in. it acts as if there is literally NOTHING there, then after a second or two magically the 2nd gear synchros appear and I can put it in. so strange. :shrug:

I'm experiencng the EXACT same thing both of you are. To a tee!

Too40gawlf

Banned
So I got the car back this week. Turns out my downshifitng issues were due to a completely disintegrated pilot shaft bearing. The pilot shaft bearing was replaced under warranty. I got a chance to talk to the tech about this and cars in general and he's not a big fan of the MT-82 and the Coyote driveline in general.

Anyway, my chattering/clanking during downshifting has been eliminated... for now. However, my slow speed clunk and thunk is still there. I know some of this is normal driveline noise. But I drove a '14 base 5.0 with 3.73's and a 6spd and it had some similar noises, but much quieter. My car only has 7700 miles on it and the clunk is loud, really loud.

Im thinking the clunking is mostly dfriveshaft related. But I thought Ford put the 2 piece DS in there to keep noise to a minimum. I've read that an aftermarket one piece aluminum DS actually increases driveline noise. If thats the case, I'm afraid to spend $800 to make my clunking even worse.

Has anyone found a solution to this either under warranty or aftermarket? My car is bone stock save for MAC axlebacks and a SR strut tower brace, so its not like my aftermarket suspension is adding to the noise.

I do have a bunch of suspension parts in the closet, waiting to be installed. But I want to get this clunking figured out before I throw suspension parts on there and give the dealer an excuse.

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
Yeah i have the solution to the clunk, i replaced the oem motor mounts with a good set of billet urethane motor mounts and the clunk is gone. I always thought i was the driveline specifically the oem uca but as i studied the sound i found more of the clunk sound and feel was coming from the motor mounts! I still think the oem uca had something to do with it , so i replaced that too and i don't have the clunk anymore.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread