Ceramic coating ?

CobraG

Established Member
Has anyone had Paint Protection Film (PPF) or ceramic coating done? If so, how much does something like that typically cost? Do you like it? Would you recommend it?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I've had the last three of my cars ceramic coated and it really works! Your GT-500 will look awesome and benefit from the paint protection. My first car, a 2019 Genesis G-70 was slick and doing its job 3 years later. My best friend is a detailer, so he refuses to take my money, but the average price is between $1200.00 and $1,500.00, I believe. Depends on the paint prep needed. I believe he uses a Wolfgang product (German). If your paint isn't exceptional/perfect, paint correction is highly recommended before ceramic coating. All of my vehicles were done immediately after delivery from the factory, and only minor detailing was needed before ceramic coating.

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
Yes - I've had both my fun cars professionally ceramic coated with Gtechniq Crystal Serum Ultra topped with EXO. I couldn't decide how to deal with stripes, relative to PPF, so I skipped that on the Shelby. My Z06, however, has XPEL Ultimate Plus PPF on leading surfaces, in addition to the ceramic.

Costs vary widely and are driven by things like the prep time involved, products used, guarantees provided and what specific surfaces you have done (e.g., door jambs, under hood, headlights, tailights, brake calipers, wheel faces & barrels, and stripes). I've seen ceramic estimates for as little as $800 and as much as $2500. In my experience, PPF is similarly priced.

20220813_104840.jpg

20220813_104857.jpg

Last edited:

1FASFKR

Established Member
Has anyone had Paint Protection Film (PPF) or ceramic coating done? If so, how much does something like that typically cost? Do you like it? Would you recommend it?

I've done both. I had paint correction and ceramic coating done to my 18 GT350R. It turned out beautiful at a cost of $1700. I had paint correction and Full Llumar Platinum PPF done to my 22 GT500at a cost of $8500. I've seen guys get a bargain $6k PPF install job and it was horrible. No way I could live with it on a $90k car. My experience is that you get what you pay for with a PPF installer. The 3 main brands of PPF 3M, Llumar/SunTek and Expel...are so close it's a very negligible in appearance. However, I've had an Expel installer tell me that Llumar Platinum/Suntek had the best clarity. At that point I chose the better warranty which was Llumar with a 10 yr warranty. An experienced PPF installer makes all the difference in the world. Experience usually isn't cheap either.

Ceramic is definitely cheaper but it will not stop a rock chip. It does have a hardness quality from the coating tho. Bugs will clean off easier. The hydrophobic properties will last a couple years if properly maintained. I had a 5 year warranty on my System X Diamond coating. It was a great option for a non-daily garaged car.

PPF has self healing properties for light scratches and swirls. Will repel rock chips. Not boulders but the kind of sand blasting you might encounter on a highway drive. PPF hydrophobic properties are excellent as well.

Attachments

• GT500-16.jpg
    GT500-16.jpg
    298 KB · Views: 58
  • GT500-17-1.jpg
    GT500-17-1.jpg
    355.3 KB · Views: 68
  • GT500-18.jpg
    GT500-18.jpg
    315.8 KB · Views: 63
  • GT500-19.jpg
    GT500-19.jpg
    289.1 KB · Views: 64
  • R6.jpg
    R6.jpg
    427.7 KB · Views: 67
  • R18.jpg
    R18.jpg
    189.7 KB · Views: 64
  • R19.jpg
    R19.jpg
    219.8 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:

Dirks9901

Paint>Vinyl
Established Member
Premium Member
Yes, highly recommend for both. I would mimic what @Norton already said. He helped me quite a bit when i had my 14 done last year.

You haven’t mentioned it but depending on the condition of your paint, i would also suggest a paint correction be done before ceramic and PPF.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Last edited:

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
This is actually pretty cool. Wash car, and spiffy it all up. Now, take a zip lock bag, place your hand in it and run it down the paint. Top of fender, rear bumper etc. If it feels like 120 grit sandpaper, you would benefit from a paint correction. That will also remove micro marring and swirl marks. And this is a must to prep the surface for ceramic and film.

A person can do their own paint correction with an initial upfront cost of around $600.00. I started not knowing anything and sought out the information.

I do not pay for people to detail my cars.
I've never ceramic coated anything. I have my own reasons and opinions on the matter.

<Comparison of the trunk lid vs the rear window reflection after a paint correction.

IMG_20210403_232317_019.jpg

My 66,000 mile daily driver after doing a paint correction

IMG_20190406_200319_704.jpg

Hood relection. Paint Correction and a good wax.

IMG_20190406_200319_695.jpg

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
I just did expel on my 14. I did the front bumper, 1/3 hood, mirrors, lights, fogs and a-pillars. Cost was right at $1,500. That also included removing 7 year old 3M PPF that had yellowed. It is well worth it.

Tom

CobraG

Established Member
I plan on getting paint correction and ceramic coating done. I found two places I'm comparing. I'll take before and after pictures.

Relaxed Chaos

Just another Gen X Hero
Established Member
Premium Member
I use Gyeon and do it myself. It's about $80, give or take.

Pretty easy to apply and get right, but tedious. Lasts about 3 years.

It works as advertised: sheds water, sheds dirt, bugs stick much less, easy to wash, easy to care for. I can pretty much spray my cars clean with hose pressure and then wipe it down with the detailer.

Last edited:

03DSGMach1

10's or Bust!
Established Member
XPEL PPF on the hood, bumper, fenders, mirror caps, head and fog lights and door cups followed by ceramic coating on car and windshield. I asked that he not put ppf on the stripes since it’ll make them glossy. Best thing I ever did as upkeep is simple. For full pain correction and ppf it was right around $3k.

IMG_0598.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread