Challenger SRT Super Stock MSRP $79,595

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
I don't think they're "lightweight" brakes, like a drag set-up would be. It's just the smaller calipers and rotors from the regular 392 to fit behind the smaller wheels. It's technically lighter but only because the size went down.

Sounds like it defeats the purpose. Id rather have the bigger brakes.

VRYALT3R3D

Show me your Members
Established Member
Chrysler really loves whoring out an old platform like the Challenger and giving it so many "special editions." I wonder how many are in total?

TerminatoRS

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Chrysler really loves whoring out an old platform like the Challenger and giving it so many "special editions." I wonder how many are in total?

As long as they're selling like hotcakes, no reason change their tactics.

Personally, what I don't like about shoving the same motor(s) in everything from Challengers to Gladiators is that the actual Hellcats and Trackhawks lose some of their exclusivity. I'm probably in the minority here and I've said it before, but I like not having the same car/motor as everyone else.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
Also, the S550 GT500 weights 4,300lbs, making it the fattest 500 ever despite its extensive use of exotic material and weight savings. So despite being smaller, more expensive, being two decades newer and all the focus on weight savings, the GT500 is only 4.5% lighter.
The difference between this and any of the blown challengers is the GT500 does well on the track. Performance metric the GT500 is better. This is why all the magazine tests have the same results for hellcat, demon, redeye, etc. Cant put power down unless at prepped drag strip.

Speaking of...what gives the new 500 the added ~500lbs over a GT and/or GT350? Blower + added cooling and DCT are the only things that come to mind right off the bat. It's pretty sad to think that Terminators used to be considered portly compared to cars nowadays. I remember parking next to a colleague's 6.1 SRT Challenger back in 2011ish. That thing made my car look tiny! Granted I'm lowered, but it looked like a monster truck next to mine. lol
the brakes are ****ing huge and weighs almost 43lbs each (front rotor). RB-CCB Rotor Kit (420/370mm) for Ford GT500 2020+ Upgrade Fits OE Calipers w/o Modifications (P/N 2R08 & 2R09)

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member

Personally, what I don't like about shoving the same motor(s) in everything from Challengers to Gladiators is that the actual Hellcats and Trackhawks lose some of their exclusivity. I'm probably in the minority here and I've said it before, but I like not having the same car/motor as everyone else.
Shoulda got a gen V viper then. exclusivity with lower production numbers than any cobro.

TerminatoRS

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Shoulda got a gen V viper then. exclusivity with lower production numbers than any cobro.

I would love one, but can't justify the $$$ unfortunately. If I had stayed at my last job, maybe, but I gave up higher income for 2/3 the hours and a fraction of the stress.

TerminatoRS

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
I'd keep the SB Cobra forever, add a Viper. :D

lol One can dream. Maybe if I start renting myself out on the weekends for some extra income. Probably need to shave off 15-20lbs if I want a shot at attracting clientele who have bathed in the last week.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
lol One can dream. Maybe if I start renting myself out on the weekends for some extra income. Probably need to shave off 15-20lbs if I want a shot at attracting clientele who have bathed in the last week.
I thought about being a gigolo but then was reminded at how you cant pick your clientele. I work with a lot of women at work and knowing anyone of them can be a client I would rather die. :eek:

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member

I don't mind at all.

I like the idea of have a large stock pile of engines, spare parts and parts interchangeability.

Nothings worse then having a bespoke German cast engine that can't be bored and the OEM no loner supports. So your now fighting for scraps out of rare wrecks and paying stupid money for used junk.

We're talking muscle cars, not hyper-exotics.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
The difference between this and any of the blown challengers is the GT500 does well on the track. Performance metric the GT500 is better. This is why all the magazine tests have the same results for hellcat, demon, redeye, etc. Cant put power down unless at prepped drag strip.

Dodge is playing to its market with its available toys.

Hellcats remain excellent highway street cars with comfortable interiors, usable rear seats and large trunks. You can also get a sedan.

As for tires/grip, if you're serious you'll be buying buy new ones regardless of what the factory provides.

All of these cars are truly just about having fun. That really needs to be a metric because at the end of the day, none of them are actual race cars and few will ever be raced.

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
I still can't grasp the allure when I get a 800hp+ base model Mustang GT from numerous Ford dealers for around $46k, with warranty.

Is it exclusivity? Nothing really exclusive about the car. There are tons of them out there.

Is it because someone wants badge recognition? I just never really cared what others thought of my vehicle. I own what I own to please myself.

If you are buyng one because you simply love the car, then I understand that.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
I still can't grasp the allure when I get a 800hp+ base model Mustang GT from numerous Ford dealers for around $46k, with warranty.

Is it exclusivity? Nothing really exclusive about the car. There are tons of them out there.

Is it because someone wants badge recognition? I just never really cared what others thought of my vehicle. I own what I own to please myself.

If you are buyng one because you simply love the car, then I understand that.
Are you talking about the GT500?

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member

Gross oversimplification, and lacks a lot of fine print.

You are also buying a car that was in no way ever designed or validated at those power levels. There will be some significant takeoff's on a car at that price point, with nearly a 100% increase over stock power levels.

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
Gross oversimplification, and lacks a lot of fine print.

You are also buying a car that was in no way ever designed or validated at those power levels. There will be some significant takeoff's on a car at that price point, with nearly a 100% increase over stock power levels.
We've seen Gen 2 and Gen 3 cars at that power level since the 15+ body style was released with way less issues than what Dodge "designed or validated" at those power levels when the Hellcat was first released.

I wouldn't call that a gross oversimplification without evidence contrary to what I pointed out.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member

The good reason is that when you want to build and old school it will be easy to find a wrecked hell cat motor to swap in.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
We've seen Gen 2 and Gen 3 cars at that power level since the 15+ body style was released with way less issues than what Dodge "designed or validated" at those power levels when the Hellcat was first released.

I wouldn't call that a gross oversimplification without evidence contrary to what I pointed out.

Lol, just because you can point out a ridiculously insignificant sample size of cars running around doesn't validate your claim.

I 100% promise you those cars would never come close to passing Ford's own durability and validation testing. Massive difference between some aftermarket add-on and what OEM's offer.

Users who are viewing this thread