Charge Pipe Blew Off Throttle Body

zpstang96

Established Member
Finally got the car back together after about 2 months. Did a WOT pull today and at about 5500rpm the car bucked and shut off. I opened the hood to find that the charge pipe blew off of the throttle body. All of the clamps are tight - double checked before I started the car. Car ran fine before I put it back together (I just painted a bunch of parts/COP swapped it and fixed an exhaust leak). I've been driving it here and there for a little over a week now, and nothing has happened until now.

I'm only making 6psi, and a pipe has never blown off before. I'm thinking that my BOV is the issue. I have the standard procharger valve - it's not even the "pro flo" - vented to the atmosphere, and it worked fine before I took the car apart. Vacuum line going to it is good, but the slide piece on the valve doesn't seem to be moving as much. It's not making the same noises either (it used to flutter after letting off at high RPM).

I'm thinking that I need a new BOV, and that maybe my existing one took a dump from sitting. Any opinions? I'm also considering upgrading to some T bolt clamps while I'm at it. Thanks guys.

PC03GT

Established Member
I had the same thing happen to me, I would do the t bolts first, before the bov. Maybe you could save a couple bucks

mustanginky

Established Member
Mine used to do it all the time. Worst one to blow off because its always insane hot on that pipe. Get some t bolt clamps and rock on. Mine have held 10-11 lbs pretty easily.

zpstang96

Established Member
Looks like I'll be trying out some T bolt clamps! I appreciate the advice :beer: Any recommendations on where to buy them?

SNAKEYE

Established Member
When I first got SNAKEYE back in 2001 from my son, my daughter-in-law told me about the charge pipe blowing off on WOT occasions. After it blew off on me the first time (embarrassing to say the least) I looked at the problem and determined that a couple of strategically located self-tapping screws through the clamping bands into the plastic duct or throttle body would be in order, so I screwed it together!
Hasn't blown apart once in the intervening 15 years!
Looks like this:
mux5xf.jpg

Last edited:

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
another vote for Tbolt clamps.

more often than not when Ive seen bypass valves fail they tend not to close so you get less boost. It should be pretty easy to verify though - blip the throttle by hand @ the TB real hard while standing where you can hear/feel the air from the valve. If you dont think its functioning right double check the vacuum source from end to end and make sure it doesnt have any holes and its seated at the bypass and vacuum source

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread