Chevrolet Camaro, Why Have You Forsaken Thee???

MrUnsubtleNinja

Established Member
The funny thing is a lot of what he wrote is true. My SS has horrible throttle input (at least stock it did), handles like an ox cart, and overall isn't incredibly fun to drive. One day I'll mod it to be more fun...

farmboy90

Established Member
Dang that was brutal. The car can't be THAT bad.

Reviews like that are hard to believe. They seem more angry then objective.

O'Neill

Established Member
Comments section is even funnier. C5 is even mentioned.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
The first comment is classic and I put them in the same category as stupid **** aka crusing in the fast lane type people:

"if someone wants a track car they get the ZL-1"...

^ LOL what a ****en tool.

NO-BlkLightning2K

Putin 2016. Yup.
Established Member
The funny thing is a lot of what he wrote is true. My SS has horrible throttle input (at least stock it did), handles like an ox cart, and overall isn't incredibly fun to drive. One day I'll mod it to be more fun...

Did you not test drive it? I'm having a hard time understanding why a person would buy a car that they seemingly don't like. Sure, you could mod it. But you can mod anything. But in the meantime, you're stuck owning a car that sucks. I don't get it. :shrug:

mrlrd1

Established Member
The funny thing is a lot of what he wrote is true.

True?

- 420HP L99?
- 305 cubic inch 68 Camaro?
- 2300lb Camaro?
- Hard to work on because of some sensors and plastic? Try turning some wrenches on one of it's competitors, or worse yet, ANYTHING from Europe.
- Comparing to 600hp from a Euro 4.0L, yet failing to mention that the engine alone costs more than an entire Camaro, and it needs 2 power adders.

The author and editor have no business writing about anything automotive.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I have to agree the article was a bit amateurish. It was entertaining to read, though. Some of his comments were a bit laughable. For example....
"These days, that’s not so easy. Sensors, ECUs and molded plastic take the fun out of working on cars like the Camaro." Maybe it's a bit more complex when you go beyond the simple intake/exhaust, but not all that difficult. And isn't it more fun to get a bigger bang for your buck with the mods you make? A simple re-tune, intake and exhaust yields nice gains. Your modding choices for modest gains were more restricted back then which resulted in a lower bang for the buck ratio. And if you think wrenching is what hot rodding is all about, you can certainly build the motor from the bottom up for a bullet-proof setup that will go toe to toe with just about anything on the street. It's not all that difficult for the average gearhead nowadays.
"After driving it, I don’t think it was made in the same fashion as, say, the new Mustang 302." Umm, maybe that's because you should be comparing it to the GT in your article. Or, you should be test driving the 1LE Camaro if you're looking to compare the car to the Boss 302.
"They resurrected the old-style Camaro and bastardized it with nostalgia, instead of engineering." Didn't Ford basically do the same thing with the 2005-2013 Mustang? They just did a much better job overall.
"We had a ’68 SS and I loved that thing. It didn’t understeer or oversteer. It would just spin up and launch." Understeer/oversteer is a factor in a street race from a dig, or at the drag strip? I know, I know. He said two different things in one statement. It was just confusing in a funny way. I had this picture of someone turning the wheel sharply to the left after the launch.
"Driving it (the '68 Camaro) was very visceral." IMO all of the new muscle cars bring deep inward feelings as well, at least to their owners. Just adding a nice exhaust system with a deeper tone and volume will set your inner feelings ablaze. And let's remember that the old school Camaro was about as raw as they come. Performance wise, it pales to today's muscle cars.
"When you were idling, the whole car shook back in forth because it had such a loping 305 motor- probably because that ’68 Camaro is 1,500 lbs. lighter than the modern incarnation." Ah, so reducing the weight of the new Camaro will cause it to shake back and forth. And 1,500 lbs. lighter? Does this guy even check his facts. A 1968 Camaro SS with a 350 motor weighed 3,091 lbs. The new SS weighs 3,849 lbs. That's a difference of 758 lbs., not 1,500. Wow!

Well, I thought the article was fun to read, but from a technical review standpoint it was a bit lacking. JMO.

"

4u 2 nv

I aint nobody
Established Member
true?

- 420hp l99?
- 305 cubic inch 68 camaro?
- 2300lb camaro?
- hard to work on because of some sensors and plastic? Try turning some wrenches on one of it's competitors, or worse yet, anything from europe.
- comparing to 600hp from a euro 4.0l, yet failing to mention that the engine alone costs more than an entire camaro, and it needs 2 power adders.

The author and editor have no business writing about anything automotive.

+1...

MrUnsubtleNinja

Established Member
Did you not test drive it? I'm having a hard time understanding why a person would buy a car that they seemingly don't like. Sure, you could mod it. But you can mod anything. But in the meantime, you're stuck owning a car that sucks. I don't get it. :shrug:

The car is great it's just over exaggerated how great it is... I love the Camaro but it has a lot of flaws I didn't notice until I drove my Shelby for the first time.

REPCobra10

Established Member
I thought that the article was a little moronic, to be honest, but it was entertaining to read, nonetheless...

Users who are viewing this thread