Chicago police shooting video

2KBlackGT

The Man, Myth, The Legend
Established Member
Ok, I can see some charge but not murder. This video shows him not dropping the weapon. To say the officer was not justified in shooting is a joke. It is not like we do not know the laws.

lol...

It was just about a year ago that a city whistleblower came to journalist Jamie Kalven and attorney Craig Futterman out of concern that Laquan McDonald’s shooting a few weeks earlier “wasn’t being vigorously investigated,” as Kalven recalls. The source told them “that there was a video and that it was horrific,” he said.

Without that whistleblower—and without that video—it’s highly unlikely that Chicago Police officer Jason Van Dyke would be facing first-degree murder charges today.

“When it was first reported it was a typical police shooting story,” Kalven said, where police claim self-defense and announce an investigation, and “at that point the story disappears.” And, typically, a year or 18 months later, the Independent Police Review Authority confirms the self-defense claim, and “by then no one remembers the initial incident.”

“There are an average of 50 police shootings of civilians every year in Chicago, and no one is ever charged,” said Futterman. “Without the video, this would have been just one more of 50 such incidents, where the police blotter defines the narrative and nothing changes.”.........

The next month, the City Council approved a $5 million settlement with McDonald’s family, whose attorneys had obtained the video. They said it showed McDonald walking away from police at the time of the shooting, contradicting the police story that he was threatening or had “lunged at” cops. The settlement included a provision keeping the video confidential.

“The real issue here is, this terrible thing happened, how did our governmental institutions respond?” Kalven said. “And from everything we’ve learned, compulsively at every level, from the cops on the scene to the highest levels of government, they responded by circling the wagons and by fabricating a narrative that they knew was completely false.” To him this response is “part of a systemic problem” and preserves “the underlying conditions that allow abuse and shield abuse.”

In April, the Chicago Tribune revealed Van Dyke’s name and his history of civilian complaints—including several brutality complaints, one of which cost the city $500,000 in a civil lawsuit—none of which resulted in any disciplinary action. In May, Carol Marin reported that video from a security camera at a Burger King on the scene had apparently been deleted by police in the hours after the shooting.

http://chicagoreporter.com/how-chicago-tried-to-cover-up-a-police-execution/

tbi0904

Established Member
The only reason this video was released was because a journalist sued the city (successfully) to have it released. The city fought it every step of the way and served up this embarrasement of a LEO when it became a political hot potato. The mayor ain't gonna swing for this, Van Dyke & maybe McCarthy will. That's the Chicago Way.

And yes, it's a horrible shoot and the video blows apart Van Dyke's reasoning to shoot this guy 16 times. Most of those rounds were when he was already on the ground and no longer a threat.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
Unbelievable.
I get that the cops deal with pos from time to time, but that was over the line.

Interesting to see that charges don't get filed till the video is released.

2KBlackGT

Established Member
The cops deleted surveillance footage from that Burger King in the dash cam footage. Initially reported that the victim lunged at them, and that he died from a single gun shot wound.

Just lies and cover ups all around.

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member

2KBlackGT

Established Member
Tell me, would you run down the middle of a street with a knife in your hand, try attacking a police car, not drop said knife when you are given a lawful order to, and expect to be treated like a rational being?

I'd expect to be shot. Hell, I am not a cop and I'd shoot a dumbass for doing this.

That's what you think the only issue is? They covered this up from the beginning for a reason. Thank goodness for that whistleblower.

And yes 16 shots is excessive imo

Last edited:

Deceptive

Established Member
Premium Member
That's what you think the only issue is? They covered this up from the beginning for a reason. Thank goodness for that whistleblower.

Ok, but that is not the officer's fault. That is the precinct, union, and city.

An officer was justified recently in shooting a guy because "he raised his sweatshirt in a threatening manner". No weapon, fit a description of a robbery suspect.

I agree 100%, 16 shots is excessive.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Oh yeah, this bullshit again. If you have enough of everything, there's always going to be a issue. I don't care what you do. Pretty sure the good out weight the bad.
Almost every single one of you would call 911 with someone trying to break down your door at 2am except our normal super hero here.

Deceptive

Established Member
Premium Member
Oh yeah, this bullshit again. If you have enough of everything, there's always going to be a issue. I don't care what you do. Pretty sure the good out weight the bad.
Almost every single one of you would call 911 with someone trying to break down your door at 2am except our normal super hero here.

My alarm calls 5-0 for me.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Tell me, would you run down the middle of a street with a knife in your hand, try attacking a police car, not drop said knife when you are given a lawful order to, and expect to be treated like a rational being?

I'd expect to be shot. Hell, I am not a cop and I'd shoot a dumbass for doing this.

Exactly. I don't even care that the officer fired 16 times. Easy to do in the moment. Just like it's easy to armchair quarterback the situation from the comfort of your home sitting in front of your computer.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
No more tip-toeing.
-Time for LE reform.
-Time for proper vetting, with real background checks and lie detector tests that actually check for crimes, not just truthfulness about committing past crimes. .
-Time for repeated psyche and drug evals, random and often.
-Time for open SOPs.
-Time for body cams.
-Time for review boards with independent prosecutors.
-Time for LE officers, judges and lawyers to be held accountable (no immunity) for all the laws they so dearly love to enforce.

Nationwide.

http://abc7chicago.com/news/cpd-dash-cam-video-shows-police-shooting-laquan-mcdonald/1098065/

This is a Rhetorical question.
How many more incidents have been covered up because of no camera?

No problem, as long as they start writing speeding tickets to all the people passing me like idiots to pay for all that shit. I pay enough taxes.
Make it the "Revenue generating" agency you all think it is.

tvspower

Established Member
That SOB of a cop should be hung.. Every cop is supposed to be trained to disarm without using their gun!!!!! To shoot some kid with a knife that is approx. 40f from him, is just SICK.. Also the others in charge of this case should also be charged for cover up.. Thanks to who ever told authorities about video.. Here in Canada(Toronto) a cop shot a kid with a knife standing on a EMPTY city bus 9 times.. Cop has been charged and the trial is ongoing... Think of all the other options a cop has available to disarm a kid in this situation. I trained with the local police and they could put you, me and him on our ass so fast without a gun... Either he is a happy shoot first or is totally scared of his shadow. Hope he gets life.. In my mine this cop is worse than the POS on the streets..

2KBlackGT

Established Member
Exactly. I don't even care that the officer fired 16 times. Easy to do in the moment. Just like it's easy to armchair quarterback the situation from the comfort of your home sitting in front of your computer.

Yes it's easy to sit here and say that the 13 shots AFTER kid was on the ground sounds like a murder to me. You're ignorant to whats going on but want to arm chair quarterback? At least read whats available to us and form an actual opinion.

We can debate whether the shooting was justified all we want. The cover up is what should concern us.

Deceptive

Established Member
Premium Member
That SOB of a cop should be hung.. Every cop is supposed to be trained to disarm without using their gun!!!!! To shoot some kid with a knife that is approx. 40f from him, is just SICK.. Also the others in charge of this case should also be charged for cover up.. Thanks to who ever told authorities about video.. Here in Canada(Toronto) a cop shot a kid with a knife standing on a EMPTY city bus 9 times.. Cop has been charged and the trial is ongoing... Think of all the other options a cop has available to disarm a kid in this situation. I trained with the local police and they could put you, me and him on our ass so fast without a gun... Either he is a happy shoot first or is totally scared of his shadow. Hope he gets life.. In my mine this cop is worse than the POS on the streets..

Sounds great, use your hand to hand or tazer. Oh wait, the dumbass in Chicago was on PCP.

These people are not rational. Rational people do not walk down the middle of a street, carry a knife in hand visible in public, they don't rob stores, break into homes, shoot people, etc... You need to stop treating criminals like functioning humans. They are not like us.

tvspower

Established Member
damn right the cover up is what everyone should be protesting about... Geeeze, shoot the kid in the leg or both legs so he cannot crawl to this POS cop. Oh wait... cop would shoot kid anyways, cause kid was spitting..

Users who are viewing this thread