Circle D Converter Or 4.10 gears ???

casper gt

Established Member
There's no way a gear will pick the car up 3 or 4 tenths like the converter will. And the gear will change how it shifts and drives around. Converter is definitely the best option if you don't care about the money.

shure it will pick up, where do you think my et came from?

a typical stock auto 11-12 will run 12.8-13.2 in my area/elevation/etc.

my mods are minimal at best so again, where does my et come from?

as to 2700 rpm at 75mph with 4.10's, not even close with stock dia tires, more like 2400 & I get 23 mpg or so on the highway.

I'm curious what et is nessesary out of a gear only n/a car before this gets put to rest.

at the begining of the year it was "a gear only car cant get out of the 12's" done, then it was "a gear only car cant go 11.5x" done, whats next?

just curious. I'll do a 5c converter, 3.73's & a 27" tire like I outlined above when I run out of options with the current set up, so I'm not biased when it comes to installing a converter, but I wonder why guys will go to such great lengths to bash something thats cheap & is proven every weekend at tracks all over the country to work......................:shrug:

Last edited:

wbt

Banned

as to 2700 rpm at 75mph with 4.10's, not even close with stock dia tires, more like 2400 & I get 23 mpg or so on the highway.

I'm curious what et is nessesary out of a gear only n/a car before this gets put to rest.

at the begining of the year it was "a gear only car cant get out of the 12's" done, then it was "a gear only car cant go 11.5x" done, whats next?

just curious. I'll do a 5c converter, 3.73's & a 27" tire like I outlined above when I run out of options with the current set up, so I'm not biased when it comes to installing a converter, but I wonder why guys will go to such great lengths to bash something thats cheap & is proven every weekend at tracks all over the country to work......................:shrug:

I'm not following your logic......why would you reduce the gear when going to a converter? The math is all wrong. You would be better off sticking with the 4.10 or going to a 4.30 if you want to run a steeper than 3.31 gear.

Here is the dilemma....the 6R80 has a 4.17 first gear. Unless you do some serious suspension mods, hooking with a higher ratio rear gear starts to become an issue and consistency becomes a problem.

By running a smaller ratio rear gear, 1st becomes usable and the car is far more consistent. How do I know this? I have provided 2 examples of cars that have used a 4.30 and a 3.31 gear with the 5C converter. Regardless of gear used, both cars picked up .3-.4. My best 60' with a 3.31 is 1.55. kdanner running a 4.30, 1.54.

We have tested both combinations extensively.....

Here is kdanner's car before the converter running a 4.30 gear:
[youtube_browser]JmO_ygFoWO4&[/youtube_browser]

Same mods, post converter install (DA was about 1K better):
[youtube_browser]4md7oUOhd8I&[/youtube_browser]

WHITEMACH

Established Member
i have 4.10s ,JLT CAI,bbr x pipe,magnaflow cat back, ds and bbr tune ,and
my buddys has CIRCLE D converter,3.15s ,AED tune, x pipe, cat back,ds,light brakes ,sway arm and radiator delete, big and little light rims, and both cars are AUTOS my car tracks the sh!+ out of his!

how does 4.10s make the car not hook? mine hooks awesome!

Last edited:

wbt

Banned
my buddys has CIRCLE D converter,3.15s ,AED tune, x pipe, cat back,ds,light brakes ,sway arm and radiator delete, big and little light rims, and both cars are AUTOS my car tracks the sh!+ out of his!

What 60' times are you running?

scotmach

Established Member
Converter hands down. And I'd listen to someone like WBT who can back up his logic as opposed to others with 4.10's that frankly aren't very impressive at all but talk a big game.

KidMoney

Established Member

I'm calling bullshit or his car is junk.

KidMoney

Established Member

Your car would run the same with stock gears and your mods. There are a lot of them around here running those numbers.

casper gt

Established Member
I'm not following your logic......why would you reduce the gear when going to a converter? The math is all wrong. You would be better off sticking with the 4.10 or going to a 4.30 if you want to run a steeper than 3.31 gear.

Here is the dilemma....the 6R80 has a 4.17 first gear. Unless you do some serious suspension mods, hooking with a higher ratio rear gear starts to become an issue and consistency becomes a problem.

By running a smaller ratio rear gear, 1st becomes usable and the car is far more consistent. How do I know this? I have provided 2 examples of cars that have used a 4.30 and a 3.31 gear with the 5C converter. Regardless of gear used, both cars picked up .3-.4. My best 60' with a 3.31 is 1.55. kdanner running a 4.30, 1.54.

We have tested both combinations extensively.....

Here is kdanner's car before the converter running a 4.30 gear:
[youtube_browser]JmO_ygFoWO4&[/youtube_browser]

Same mods, post converter install (DA was about 1K better):
[youtube_browser]4md7oUOhd8I&[/youtube_browser]

I agree the 3.73 statement may be premature, it's what the math works out to on my abacus :) to keep me at 7100 going across in 4th, guessing on how the car will react to the converter. I certainly will run the car with the converter & the 4.10's before the gear swap to see where I'm at though.

as to the traction, we are only talking about a 400 rwhp car here, reguardless of stall, trans gear or final gear, I doubt I'll have any trouble figureing out how to get it to hook up, I have Kelly & Summit both on speed dial (lol) & I have no problem buying tires or susp. parts to get it to hook up.

I would have no problem with an arb & slicks if thats what it took (or what ever was nessesary is my point)

casper gt

Established Member
Your car would run the same with stock gears and your mods. There are a lot of them around here running those numbers.

mabie yes, mabie no, but I get to the track 3-4 times a week, all over the north east & have seen very few 3.15/converter cars in the 11's.

we have 6 or 7 4.10/stock converter cars at my home track alone in the 11's, another half dozen or so in the columbus ohio area & quite a few others sprinkled thru out small tracks all over the north east.

casper gt

Established Member
Converter hands down. And I'd listen to someone like WBT who can back up his logic as opposed to others with 4.10's that frankly aren't very impressive at all but talk a big game.

aren't impressive? what does your car run again?

look at the facts before you come up short on this topic..........again.

when you get off the sidelines & actually run the numbers we are, then mabie you'll have a leg to stand on.

I find it hard to believe that someone would think my times vs. mods vs. weight wouldn't be impressive & I'm far from the fastest 4.10/stock converter car.

o2gt

Established Member
If you don't plan on going to the track are gears worth it? How do these cars drive with 3.73 or 4.10 on the street?

Dtony

Established Member
The bottom line for taking advice, look at what the fast guys are doing. Converter all the way.

casper gt

Established Member
The bottom line for taking advice, look at what the fast guys are doing. Converter all the way.

fast guys?

these are n/a bolt on cars we are talking about, aside from a few 11.0 cars, reguardless of mods, these cars are all grouped in the mid 11's for the most part.

Last edited:

Dtony

Established Member
fast guys?

these are n/a bolt on cars we are talking about, aside from a few 11.0 cars, reguardless of mods, these cars are all grouped in the mid 11's for the most part.

My car went 11.50's on a converter, Boss intake, headers and 3.31's. When I added gear the car ran the same....exactly the same. Through other changes I got to 11.30's na. So I know what I am talking about.

scotmach

Established Member
aren't impressive? what does your car run again?

look at the facts before you come up short on this topic..........again.

when you get off the sidelines & actually run the numbers we are, then mabie you'll have a leg to stand on.

I find it hard to believe that someone would think my times vs. mods vs. weight wouldn't be impressive & I'm far from the fastest 4.10/stock converter car.
Doesn't matter what my car runs, I'm not the one running my mouth. Sorry if your feelings get hurt but running a 11.7 with 4.10's isn't impressive. Have you ever wondered why your times aren't that impressive?

And let me give you a little grammar lesson for the day seeing as my 9 year old spells better than you. It's spelled "sure" not shure. And it's spelled "maybe" not mabie.;-)

Dtony

Established Member
I should probably add, I have had many gears in my auto car na: 3.15 then to 4.30, then 4.10, then 3.73's. Once I added the SC I went back to 3.31's.

Users who are viewing this thread