Circle D Converter Or 4.10 gears ???

casper gt

Established Member
Maybe, I have been racing since the mid 80's. Way off susbject but I will be at Trails Sunday looking for a 9.8x.

Once you add a converter I will bet money you decide to change gears. A converter makes the 1st gear real short with deep gears.

I have no doubt I amy be switching gears when I go with the converter, I'll just need to see where I'm at as to which gears.

the problem is that I'm first & foremost a bracket racer, all this et/etc talk is interesting but I need a car I can race with so I don't think I'll like the 3.31/going thru in third, I will most likely trying to stay where I am (I go across at 7100 in 4th now) to keep my ability to recover if I have to pedal.

good luck on the 9.8x, sucks it's sunday, I'd come down since my car is put away & I'm bored if it was sat.

Bmr4life

Established Member
shure it will pick up, where do you think my et came from?

a typical stock auto 11-12 will run 12.8-13.2 in my area/elevation/etc.more like 2400 & I get 23 mpg or so on the highway.

I'm curious what et is nessesary out of a gear only n/a car before this gets put to rest.

my mods are minimal at best so again, where does my et come from?

as to 2700 rpm at 75mph with 4.10's, not even close with stock dia tires, more like 2400 & I get 23 mpg or so on the highway.

at the begining of the year it was "a gear only car cant get out of the 12's" done, then it was "a gear only car cant go 11.5x" done, whats next?

just curious. I'll do a 5c converter, 3.73's & a 27" tire like I outlined above when I run out of options with the current set up, so I'm not biased when it comes to installing a converter, but I wonder why guys will go to such great lengths to bash something thats cheap & is proven every weekend at tracks all over the country to work......................:shrug:

That's can't be right for the 75mph unless your tires are huge. Now, my tires are slightly smaller than stock, but I'm only at 2050rpm for 75mph. There will be a 600rpm jump from stock to 4.10s. Its straight math. 2050rpm / 3.15 * 4.10 = 2668rpm. 2400rpm is not possible unless you are on 30" tires. My tires are a very common size, 285/30/20 which is a 26.7" tire.

Last edited:

stang1971

Established Member
If you don't plan on going to the track are gears worth it? How do these cars drive with 3.73 or 4.10 on the street?
mine has 410's and its a blast on the streets.... and i was getting 28.2 mpg @80 mph last sat on a trip to go racing...i too have a circle d and 410's and love my choice.

Bmr4life

Established Member
mine has 410's and its a blast on the streets.... and i was getting 28.2 mpg @80 mph last sat on a trip to go racing...i too have a circle d and 410's and love my choice.

I can't believe that number mpg unless you hit reset while coasting.

Bettsie

Established Member
I will be driving 1600 miles on a road trip. I will keep a very accurate record of my MPG. I have 410s and I will post my mpg calculated manually.

Last edited:

CharlieR

Established Member
in a race car on the track the converter should out 60, with less mph@ 1/4, but on the street its a toss up and the car without the converter is going to mph higher, apples to apples!
daily driving i like the 4.10s better .
I lost 0 mph @ track when converter was installed(it's a lock up converter ) but lost .3+ in the 60' time:banana:. My Circle D 3C(@ the time was called 3600-3800 stall) is barely noticeable in Daily Driving(Yes even w/ stock 3.15's). MPG did go down a little, but I still Avg over 19mpg for all miles(mostly round town). Being a lock-up I doubt it changed much on the interstate but I really don't check it.

Users who are viewing this thread