Circle D Converter Or 4.10 gears ???

1Bad5.0

Established Member
Ok, so i have a 2012 GT and having trouble deciding my next mod. So far i have a custom tune from JMS, C&L CAI, Boss IM.......What do you guys think will make a bigger difference, Gears or Circle D Converter, ??:shrug:

casper gt

Established Member
it really depends on weither your asking short term or long term & if cost is a factor (I say cost because the converter will cost 3-4 times as much as gears)

ultimately you need both gears & a converter for the best et's but as tuners & car owners get these cars figured out, I say gears first if your only doing one.

my listed et was accomplished with 4.10's sway bar delete, heavy 17" bullitt wheels with m/t d/r's, airaid cai, o/r/h, shaftmasters d/s, BMR lca's & relocation brackets, pypes bomb a/b & a tune, thats it & full weight less the swaybar.

that was with so-so track prep & good but not the greatest weather.

I have no doubt with 3.15's & a converter the car would have been slower, I have see it first hand more than once, some cars even had more mods & were still slower.

in your case especially if your still sticking with the boss intake (been there, it slowed my car down) you need the gears first for the rpm factor if nothing else.

this is a very hotly debated topic & both sides have merit, my vote if doing both is 3.73's, 27" d/r & a 5c converter, don't let the 3-4 shift scare you.

good luck on your decision.

wbt

Banned
3.31 gear, Circle D 5C converter, Boss intake, 28" DR.

1,400' DA
[youtube_browser]fdM2fQ4UKvU[/youtube_browser]

2,100' DA
[youtube_browser]_e6VNea08Cg[/youtube_browser]

1,300' DA
[youtube_browser]ITC0l2DL8to[/youtube_browser]

We all know what's about to happen when the weather cools and track is prepped(all runs were on test and tune evenings with little to no track prep).....results speak for themselves.

The next best gear choice is a 4.30 with a 28" tire.

Last edited:

wbt

Banned
Nice passes WBT....What else do you have done other than the converter and Boss IM?

Thanks!

Mods:
Pypes full exhaust
Circle D 5C converter
3.31 rear gear
Boss manifold
Airaid CAI
UCA, mount , LCA's and relo mounts along with sway bar relo. Stock shocks and springs.
Alum. D/S
Corbeau driver seat
Tune
Tires/Wheels - Hoosier drag radials
Lower radiator support
D/S loop
Rear seat delete
Strange front brakes

casper gt

Established Member
Nice passes WBT....What else do you have done other than the converter and Boss IM?

there is no doubt his car runs good, but (aint there always a but, lol) most folks aren't ready for the trade offs (rpms being at the top of everyones list)

you need to ask yourself, what are your goals first & foremost, then what are you willing to trade off to get them.

what et are you trying to accomplish?

wbt

Banned
there is no doubt his car runs good, but (aint there always a but, lol) most folks aren't ready for the trade offs (rpms being at the top of everyones list)

you need to ask yourself, what are your goals first & foremost, then what are you willing to trade off to get them.

what et are you trying to accomplish?

I was running low 11's with the stock intake, 3.31 gear and 5C converter.

A converter is the best choice of the 2 options. The gear is only going to compliment the converter. Yes it will cost more but it's about building a foundation. On the auto, that starts with the right converter for the application.

Buster

Established Member
Ok, so i have a 2012 GT and having trouble deciding my next mod. So far i have a custom tune from JMS, C&L CAI, Boss IM.......What do you guys think will make a bigger difference, Gears or Circle D Converter, ??:shrug:

I did both those mods and the gears were worth nothing in the 1/4, mainly because the brakes will hold less launch rpm with the gears. The converter is worth 3-4 tenths all day long.

casper gt

Established Member
I was running low 11's with the stock intake, 3.31 gear and 5C converter.

A converter is the best choice of the 2 options. The gear is only going to compliment the converter. Yes it will cost more but it's about building a foundation. On the auto, that starts with the right converter for the application.

while I agree somewhat, a 3.15 & converter vs a stock converter 4.10's is pretty much a wash,thats why I asked about the future plans for the car.

if both gears & a converter are in the very near future, I agree do the converter first, if it's one or the other for the forseeable future, I vote 4.10's & skip the converter (given the o/p's original line of questions, it was laid out as one or the other)

it depends on the o/p's use for the car as well I guess (ie. occasional test & tunes or weekly racing), the former may be happier with a converter as the typical t&t guy isn't very experianced & the converter giving the car the ability to leave harder will make the car feel a little more balanced, the latter will vote gears.

the gears only option (if doing one or the other) not only allow you to leave sorfter (easier on the car, tires, etc) but allowing you some control over the rpms on the other end while still being able to et very imperssively, if you step out of a lightly geared high stall car on the other end (ie 5c & 3.15's), your screwed, you cant recover enough rpms to et well.

like I said above, let the end use of the car dictate the mods.

KidMoney

Established Member
There's no way a gear will pick the car up 3 or 4 tenths like the converter will. And the gear will change how it shifts and drives around. Converter is definitely the best option if you don't care about the money.

Bmr4life

Established Member
Going to 4.10s affects the car too much for me on a day to day basis. I don't want to rev at ~2700rpm doing 75mph on my daily commute. If only the install of a TC didn't cost so much or if only I could do it myself.

Bmr4life

Established Member
3.31 gear, Circle D 5C converter, Boss intake, 28" DR.

1,400' DA
[youtube_browser]fdM2fQ4UKvU[/youtube_browser]

2,100' DA
[youtube_browser]_e6VNea08Cg[/youtube_browser]

1,300' DA
[youtube_browser]ITC0l2DL8to[/youtube_browser]

We all know what's about to happen when the weather cools and track is prepped(all runs were on test and tune evenings with little to no track prep).....results speak for themselves.

The next best gear choice is a 4.30 with a 28" tire.

WBT's car is definitely a freak of nature and I would not expect most people to run his numbers with his mods. I know his car is tuned by someone that's off the main grid, but the results are ridiculously awesome.

Sof Top

boost junkie!
Established Member
WBT's car is definitely a freak of nature and I would not expect most people to run his numbers with his mods. I know his car is tuned by someone that's off the main grid, but the results are ridiculously awesome.

Its secretly tuned by AED...He said so and I believe him

JK...LOL

wbt

Banned
Its secretly tuned by AED...He said so and I believe him
JK...LOL

Hahaha!!!

Never. :nonono:

My car results have been duplicated by the person who tunes my car, on his personal car, for those curious. It's not a one hit wonder. ;)

[youtube_browser]sdf5kgINH0A[/youtube_browser]
[youtube_browser]GbCNYUH2g7E[/youtube_browser]

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread