CJ 5.0 vs unknown random c6z

1FastFRC

Established Member
Lol at 420whp...The Stang is probably closer to 450whp with E85, ported CJ intake and TB...Man I love people who have no idea what they're talking about and nutswing on Vettes all day. :)

A bone stock C6Z traps around 123-126 with a good driver. Not sure what the 5.0 traps with 450whp but with the better gearing and aero for the Z, I can understand why it was questioned. I think it was a legit kill because, like others said, anything can happen on the street! Congrats OP!

My buddies C6Z damn sure didn't make 450rwhp stock, hell it barely made that with exhaust and a tune. Maybe it was a stingy dyno.... Congrats OP!

Yes, that dyno was a bit stingy. The C6Z's I have seen are usually in the 450-460 range bone stock.

FivePointOmg

BOSS 302 #1853
Established Member
A bone stock C6Z traps around 123-126 with a good driver. Not sure what the 5.0 traps with 450whp but with the better gearing and aero for the Z, I can understand why it was questioned. I think it was a legit kill because, like others said, anything can happen on the street! Congrats OP!

Yes, that dyno was a bit stingy. The C6Z's I have seen are usually in the 450-460 range bone stock.

I know of a few local GT's trapping 120+ on E85 without a Boss IM, let alone a Cobra Jet ported IM with huge TB built for high end...I have no doubt the OP runs near the mid 120's in the 1/4. I'll bet this guy's GT is making as much or a little more to the tires than the C6Z.

jblood37

Established Member
I know of a few local GT's trapping 120+ on E85 without a Boss IM, let alone a Cobra Jet ported IM with huge TB built for high end...I have no doubt the OP runs near the mid 120's in the 1/4. I'll bet this guy's GT is making as much or a little more to the tires than the C6Z.

The GT would have to have a shitload more power to make up for the ~400lb weight difference. Must have been a WAY better driver in the 5oh.

kcsvt94l

1D 10 T Error
Established Member
I knew there were gonna be some doubters, it's all good. I've been saying on this forum that a N/A Coyote with the right setup will put up a damn good fight vs a stock c6z for well over a year. Believe me I wished I had video, there is no doubt in my mind the faster the speed we'd went the weight/aerodynamics advantage would have favored the vette more and more. I even said he was creeping back up to me shortly before we let out, that creep would have turned into a walk at 150+

That said, while I haven't dyno'd my car, cars with similar mods have seen 460+ SAE no reason mine shouldn't make that. The big debate has been gear choice for maximizing these cars at the track which has been 3.90s. If I were closer to a 1/4 track i'd undoubtedly swap gears however, people primarily roll race around here so I went against the grain and stuck with 3.31's I'm here to tell you, there is no torque loss, there are no boggy spots, the car flat out screams! 3rd gear is toping out at 110-112 MPH@ 7850-7900 RPM.

My car is also a base 5.0 M6 (by design), on bigs and littles, axle weights removed, the lightest suspension components I could find, no spare, and a few things up the sleeve my car is sitting on a pretty decent diet.

Have 2 different buddies with 600WHP N/A H/C/I/E85 C6Z's. I know the cars pretty well. As well as he hung with me I would have to say he was in the proper gear and if I jumped the gun. I wouldn't be here making a post.

While c6z's deserve a tremendous amount of respect and should never be taken lightly. I'd have to say after getting some seat time and mileage on this setup, you'd better not take a CJ 5.0 lightly either. The combo is for real.

Last edited:

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
Your story is believable. I feel both cars, in this instance, are evenly matched. The slightest advantage, such as traction, will determine the outcome. On average 97% of C6Zs will dominate a stockish 5.0, everyone knows this. However, in your circumstance, you have built your 5.0 to peak perform in the 1/4 mile, which is what this race was.

Last edited:

FivePointOmg

BOSS 302 #1853
Established Member
People forget the Coyote GT's weigh 3605lbs and with a small diet can get darn close to the weight of a C6Z with the typical obese Vette driver in it...Mine with Dark stars all around, spare out and light exhaust is probably in the 34xxlbs range without me in it. Takes the weight difference out of the equation for the most part.

pho_phizzat

Dapper as ****
Established Member
People forget the Coyote GT's weigh 3605lbs and with a small diet can get darn close to the weight of a C6Z with the typical obese Vette driver in it...Mine with Dark stars all around, spare out and light exhaust is probably in the 34xxlbs range without me in it. Takes the weight difference out of the equation for the most part.

I can't say I have ever seen an obese vette driver. I do not think they would fit. lol

Also you comparing the weight a vette with an obese driver to the weight of a gutted 5.0 without a driver is kind of a stretch. Apples to Apples.

Doing so doesn't negate the weight difference at all. There is still more than a 300 pound difference no matter how you try to make it sound.

Last edited:

FivePointOmg

BOSS 302 #1853
Established Member
I can't say I have ever seen an obese vette driver. I do not think they would fit. lol

Also you comparing the weight a vette with an obese driver to the weight of a gutted 5.0 without a driver is kind of a stretch. Apples to Apples. That doesn't negate the weight difference at all.

My dad's had 7 Vettes, 3 of them various mod'd C6's so I've been to many Vette events and seen the people who drive them...Yea my dad's obese too and drives a new GS Vert with TVS blower on it...Anyways, I wasn't making a direct comparison of my car without me in it to a Vette with obese driver in it...If Vette weighs 3200lbs with 300lb obese driver and my car weighs 3450lbs with 200lb driver then there's only a 150lb weight difference between us with drivers in cars.

pho_phizzat

Dapper as ****
Established Member
My dad's had 7 Vettes, 3 of them various mod'd C6's so I've been to many Vette events and seen the people who drive them...Yea my dad's obese too and drives a new GS Vert with TVS blower on it...Anyways, I wasn't making a direct comparison of my car without me in it to a Vette with obese driver in it...If Vette weighs 3200lbs with 300lb obese driver and my car weighs 3450lbs with 200lb driver then there's only a 150lb weight difference between us with drivers in cars.

How the hell does he get in then?

I am 6'5 245 and I barley fit in the Z06. There is no way a 300 pounder is getting in one. If he did it wouldn't be pretty I fear. lol

Either way 300 pounds is a stretch. A Z06 weighs 3150 is your gutted 5.0 weighs 3450. Use that as a comparison instead of if I shove a 300 pound blob into the z it all equals out. See what I mean? It is silly. Apples to apples.

Last edited:

'99Ranger

Established Member

Can you explain that math to me? 3450-3200=/=150.

FivePointOmg

BOSS 302 #1853
Established Member

I am 6'5 245 and I barley fit in the Z06. There is no way a 300 pounder is getting in one. If he did it wouldn't be pretty I fear. lol

Either way 300 pounds is a stretch. A Z06 weighs 3150 is your gutted 5.0 weighs 3450. Use that as a comparison instead of if I shove a 300 pound blob into the z it all equals out. See what I mean? It is silly. Apples to apples.

A "gutted" 5.0 would weigh FAR less than 3450...Mine is still full interior with all padding and everything original in the car and mine's a premium with leather, etc. My car has spare/tools out, dark stars with light tires on all 4 corners and light exhaust. That's ALL it has and that adds up to around 120lbs off the original weight of my car. If I really "gutted" the car it would be down near the Z06 weight. My dad gets in his easily...You barely fit in the car because of your height, not weight. The seats are fairly wide for a sports car, go try getting in a Porsche Turbo...seats are WAY more narrow than the Vette. I'd say the Vette is one of the easier 2 seat sports cars to get in for big people.

kcsvt94l

1D 10 T Error
Established Member
lI think we're splitting hairs here. On average 100lbs is worth ~8-10 whp. My car if I had to guess weighs close to 3400 LBS w/o passenger. so we're talking about a ~20-25 WHP advantage I'd need to have to to offset just the weight alone. Aerodynamics are a huge contributor to the c6z also however that's a speed dependent contribution. Which is why at 105+/- he was starting to creep back.

I don't know what his car makes, I don't know what mine makes, so it's speculation either way. What we do know is that there are c6z's that have dyno'd anywhere from 435-450 WHP (we all know diff dyno, diff day, SAE vs STD etc..) based on that it's completely inside the realm of possibilities that my car is in the 455-460 WHP SAE. It's completely inside the realm of possibilities that this z06 is an "underperformer" So if we wanna claim Strong car vs. Weak car, fine with me. either way we're splitting hairs imo. Fact of the matter is, some of us use 1/4 times as baselines for comparisons, some of us use dyno numbers, and some of us use out comes of real world races in real world environments. When a 5.0L keeps up with a 7.0L with a weight disadvantage you can't help but be impressed, I know I am and I just love this setup on these cars.

For me while I can appreciate all the Turbo/SC/N20 awesomeness, has a love for cranking out maximum HP N/A. I cannot wait to do a few more things to the exhaust and then venture into cams. 1 guy that I know of on here already has Non-Limited full VCT Comp stage 3's with a cobrajet setup he's also not sure what he makes but here's a video. Listen to this damn thing! SICK!! :rockon:

[video=youtube;pBipViddKmA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBipViddKmA[/video]

Just for clarification on what being able to run stage 3 cams with full VCT means is. You get the upper RPM benefit from the cams, while still being able to tune the low end cam timing events however you want. Essentially, no trade off losing low or mid to gain upper. You get the best of both worlds, it's monumental we're talking a serious power band.

Z25OH

WINGING IT
Established Member

my buddy is 6'4" @ 315 and he says his GS c6 is pretty roomy lol

he didnt fit in the c7

QuickC5Z

Established Member
He coulda dropped it in 2nd instead of 1st gear. Who knows for sure. Take it to the track and see what you do. I was door to door with a C6Z one time from a roll before and I was only making 385 rwhp and trapped 117. We raced from around 30-80 mph though and im sure the dude sucked ass at driving cause my track times were not C6Z territory.

kcsvt94l

1D 10 T Error
Established Member
He coulda dropped it in 2nd instead of 1st gear. Who knows for sure. Take it to the track and see what you do. I was door to door with a C6Z one time from a roll before and I was only making 385 rwhp and trapped 117. We raced from around 30-80 mph though and im sure the dude sucked ass at driving cause my track times were not C6Z territory.

C6Z certainly would have been in 2nd gear at 55 not 1st. AFAIK top speed in 1st is 60 MPH.

Users who are viewing this thread