CJ 5.0 vs unknown random c6z

Voltwings

Established Member
i just wanna see a damn video already of some street racing with the CJ intake or even 1/4... i really have complimented doing it, just haven't seen alot of runs or 1/4 times with it for the 1500.00 dollars it costs

I have my stock dyno baseline, and will hopefully be installing my CJ setup here in the next few days with an AED tune on 93 (stock headers w/ Lethal catless H-Pipe), hopefully i'll be able to get that dyno in here for you. That being said, i really am not interested in the track, i do it for fun but am not pushing for 10ths by any means, I just enjoy working on my car and wanted something a little different haha. If i was running mid to low 12's and trapping 115+ id be happy enough since im on street tires (275 35 19 Nitto Motivo), we'll just have to see though.

When I say average I mean average horsepower through out the entire operating rpm range. Not same rpm. Mustang dynos usually give you your average hp numbers. Peak hp numbers aren't everything.
I agree peak numbers arent everything, but we may just have to agree to disagree on this one. The point i'm trying to make is not that this Mustang could have beaten the Z, just that this situation (getting a jump and for the most part holding him off) is plausable.

mystickb1996

Established Member
nice! good luck with install, it doesnt look to bad tho.. also dyno runs would be sweet but i wanna see some highway pulls!!! and i hear you, the CJ intake is different and looks great.. what intake you going with rev auto? i heard ford finally released the cj cold air intake.. also what tb? op you have any videos of your car with the CJ?
I have my stock dyno baseline, and will hopefully be installing my CJ setup here in the next few days with an AED tune on 93 (stock headers w/ Lethal catless H-Pipe), hopefully i'll be able to get that dyno in here for you. That being said, i really am not interested in the track, i do it for fun but am not pushing for 10ths by any means, I just enjoy working on my car and wanted something a little different haha. If i was running mid to low 12's and trapping 115+ id be happy enough since im on street tires (275 35 19 Nitto Motivo), we'll just have to see though.

I agree peak numbers arent everything, but we may just have to agree to disagree on this one. The point i'm trying to make is not that this Mustang could have beaten the Z, just that this situation (getting a jump and for the most part holding him off) is plausable.

Rct851

Established Member
Comparing power through the entire curve means nothing when the racing all happens between 5000-7500 rpm.

I guess I'm also in the minority in saying I don't give a crap whose car is faster. I care about what happens every individual run. 9 out of 10 the z06 should walk, but not that time. I like variables in racing. Makes it more exciting

Voltwings

Established Member
nice! good luck with install, it doesnt look to bad tho.. also dyno runs would be sweet but i wanna see some highway pulls!!! and i hear you, the CJ intake is different and looks great.. what intake you going with rev auto? i heard ford finally released the cj cold air intake.. also what tb? op you have any videos of your car with the CJ?

Not to thread jack too much, but yes i have the Rev auto BFI (lol) and the monoblade throttle body. I have a buddy with a fully bolted Boss, Airraid Cai, 90MM throttle body, bbk shofty headers with a catless X-pipe and im hoping to at least run with him on stock headers. If i could manage to beat him thatd be astonishing haha, but i'd be happy to just run with him. He's on a custom dyno tune from a local company, but he and I baselined on the same dyno the same night, so we'll be able to compare all 4 dyno graphs, stocks vs bolted setups.

stangfreak

Established Member
Let me just post my experience here. I would post all the videos of these races but this happened years back and the videos were taken down for certain reasons that I will not get into. There used to be a group of kids that owned c6z's by me. Tune, cold air intake, MAYBE EXHAUST. some had stock exhaust. cars were tuned by the vette doctors. Look them up. basic little bolt on's.

These c6z's were running HARD. They were racing 600rwhp cars and they were side by side with them. some races, those vettes PULLED up top on those 600-640rwhp. Two of those 600+++rwhp cars were your basic 19-20lb 2.3 whipple cobras, stock motor, full bolt on's etc. You get the drift. Other cars were other vettes. The c6z's from a roll were taking names. EVERYBODY thought they were on spray. One of those c6z was my good friend who owned a 03 cobra.

He opened the hood, trunk, gave me the keys and said to me, "alex, go ahead, go find my hidden nitrous bottle." There was none. cold air and tune.

Only one cobra I saw race a bolt on c6z, that was going to win, was when the cobra was spinning all in 2nd gear, once it caught traction, it was going to pull HARD on the c6z, but the z06 LET OFF. cobra driver was DAMN GOOD.

Keep in mind blowers have got bigger. 2.9 3.4 etc. so those races back in the day were against small twinscrew cobras, and heads cams c5 z06's.

with that said, unless I am behind times and if I am wrong, I will admit it. a basic bolt on 5.0 with a cobra jet intake, STOCK MANIFOLDS, will beat a c6z from a roll, which then means, it will absolutely BEAT a twinscrew cobra at 19-20lbs from a roll as well, and beat heads cam c5z06's from a roll.????????

I am just gauging the outcomes from the cars I have seen race. so I am making a assumption here. If that is the case, if a bolt on 5.0 is beating all these cars, even being 500lbs heavier than a vette, twinscrew cobras, etc, I will sell my 710rwhp 650rwtq 2.9 whipple cobra, and sell the 3.4 whipple crusher I have sitting in my room which I was going to run 27lbs of boost on, with a 5.3L livernois motor, fox lake stage 3 ported heads, custom bullet cams, and buy a 5.0, bolt on parts with a tune and go run the streets on long island.

Last edited:

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
with that said, unless I am behind times and if I am wrong, I will admit it. a basic bolt on 5.0 with a cobra jet intake, STOCK MANIFOLDS, will beat a c6z from a roll, which then means, it will absolutely BEAT a twinscrew cobra at 19-20lbs from a roll as well, and beat heads cam c5z06's from a roll.???????? .
The only thing stock about ops motor are the cams and the headers. His manifold is a cobra jet, i think its ported too.

The race would be more believable from a dig, but this is a street race so anything goes.

stangfreak

Established Member
Hey Im a ford guy. I love the coyote motor. everyone on here thinks I hate the 5.0. Not true. I have seen and been in many many races. You are correct sir, anything can happen on the street. I just get mind blown when I see things like this. I could be wrong, a crazy bolt on 5.0 with e85 may very well beat the cars I listed. ESPECIALLY if its running E85 FUEL. All the races I mentioned above were on PUMP GAS. 93 octane. all the cobras, c5 vettes, and bolt on c6z were all on 93 octane. No e85.

when I saw these videos I realized what E85 can do to even my car with the 2.9 whipple. They run CRAZY!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0cs9BIxLMY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sloNQqw4MPc

so maybe with e85 it could be true. I don't know. You can see how that cobra in those videos is just beast with e85

FivePointOmg

BOSS 302 #1853
Established Member
Also have to remember the OP's 5.0 that was actually in the race does not weigh 500lbs more than a C6Z...Matter of fact a bone stock 5.0 weighs about 400lbs more than a C6Z...Start changing to light weight wheels, lighter intake, spare out, light DS, light exhaust, etc and you get to be within 200-300lbs of a C6Z...Factor in the other known tricks for the 5.0 and it's very feasible that OP's 5.0 pulled on a C6Z...OP did say he pulled but the pull might not have lasted if they kept going to top speed...Let's get to the facts without all these blanket statements about showroom stock 5.0's where Joe Blow got his JLT CAI and Bama tune and thinks he rules the world...That's not the case with OP's 5.0...OP's 5.0 is MUCH more potent than Joe Blow's.

Z25OH

WINGING IT
Established Member
yup according to sig....stock manifolds, stock aver axle pipes and mufflers....just off road X

Voltwings

Established Member
Let me just post my experience here. I would post all the videos of these races but this happened years back and the videos were taken down for certain reasons that I will not get into. There used to be a group of kids that owned c6z's by me. Tune, cold air intake, MAYBE EXHAUST. some had stock exhaust. cars were tuned by the vette doctors. Look them up. basic little bolt on's.

These c6z's were running HARD. They were racing 600rwhp cars and they were side by side with them. some races, those vettes PULLED up top on those 600-640rwhp. Two of those 600+++rwhp cars were your basic 19-20lb 2.3 whipple cobras, stock motor, full bolt on's etc. You get the drift. Other cars were other vettes. The c6z's from a roll were taking names. EVERYBODY thought they were on spray. One of those c6z was my good friend who owned a 03 cobra.

He opened the hood, trunk, gave me the keys and said to me, "alex, go ahead, go find my hidden nitrous bottle." There was none. cold air and tune.

Only one cobra I saw race a bolt on c6z, that was going to win, was when the cobra was spinning all in 2nd gear, once it caught traction, it was going to pull HARD on the c6z, but the z06 LET OFF. cobra driver was DAMN GOOD.

Keep in mind blowers have got bigger. 2.9 3.4 etc. so those races back in the day were against small twinscrew cobras, and heads cams c5 z06's.

with that said, unless I am behind times and if I am wrong, I will admit it. a basic bolt on 5.0 with a cobra jet intake, STOCK MANIFOLDS, will beat a c6z from a roll, which then means, it will absolutely BEAT a twinscrew cobra at 19-20lbs from a roll as well, and beat heads cam c5z06's from a roll.????????

I am just gauging the outcomes from the cars I have seen race. so I am making a assumption here. If that is the case, if a bolt on 5.0 is beating all these cars, even being 500lbs heavier than a vette, twinscrew cobras, etc, I will sell my 710rwhp 650rwtq 2.9 whipple cobra, and sell the 3.4 whipple crusher I have sitting in my room which I was going to run 27lbs of boost on, with a 5.3L livernois motor, fox lake stage 3 ported heads, custom bullet cams, and buy a 5.0, bolt on parts with a tune and go run the streets on long island.

This is how street racing works, you baseline yourself against other cars and how you've seen them run. That being said, I have two points for you. 1. That dyno numbers are subjective, i have taken my car (mild bolt on E85 Ms3 at the time) to 3 different dyno shops the same day to prove this point to some people a few years ago. On 1 dyno i made 275 / 330. The next i made 311 / 340, and the last i made 320 / 420 whp and wtq respectively. With that big a variance in a low 300 whp car, i imagine the higher the Hp, the higher the variance may have been... THAT BEING SAID, lol i imagine we all know how a whipple cobra or modded vette SHOULD run, so the numbers are just kinda ball park at that point, but not the be all - end all of a race.

Now, my second point is that i think people are getting hung up on "coyote beats Z06" which was not the case. The fact of the matter is: "coyote managed to get a jump and was getting pulled, but didnt get passed." 55-105 is 2nd and middle of 3rd for a coyote, and probably still the bottom of 3rd for a vette. This was not a line it up, honk it off, 2nd - 4th pull. It was barely a sprint, thats another important thing to keep in mind.

Jayls5

Established Member
I'd just like to reference the acceleration of the car this GT mustang supposedly beat:
[video=youtube;I6EiNFiLhV0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6EiNFiLhV0[/video]

Is the OP absolutely sure it was a Z06 and not the LS3? If the E85 GT is remotely pulling like the Z06 in this video, consider me impressed.

FivePointOmg

BOSS 302 #1853
Established Member
Ermmmm that's a cool speedo vid...Yea LS3 Vettes put down around 390whp in stock form so OP's 5.0 would put a big time ass whipping on one of them...Try again. ;)

Jayls5

Established Member
Ermmmm that's a cool speedo vid...Yea LS3 Vettes put down around 390whp in stock form so OP's 5.0 would put a big time ass whipping on one of them...Try again. ;)

My Z51 put down 407whp/405tq bone stock, and weighed 3200. It absolutely ass raped the new stock 5.0's, so I'm just trying to wrap my mind around the OP's mods competing with a Z06.

FivePointOmg

BOSS 302 #1853
Established Member
My Z51 put down 407whp/405tq bone stock, and weighed 3200. It absolutely ass raped the new stock 5.0's, so I'm just trying to wrap my mind around the OP's mods competing with a Z06.

Ermmm you must've been on a very generous dyno jet good friend...Congrats on beating new stock 5.0's too (they weigh 3600lbs and put down 360whp)...Now try one that's putting down 450+ whp on E85 and weighs under 3450lbs...Yea you'll be ass raped all DAY long. Actually I LOVE watching fellow 5.0's beat on Vettes so hopefully you can go race the OP with your stock Vette and post up the video you getting absolutely ass raped by an NA 5.0L...Or come to FL and we'll get a vid of my 5.0 racing your Vette...Either way. :)

QuickC5Z

Established Member
Wasn't there a video of a stock 2011-2012 GT500 pulling about a car on a full bolton coyote mustang that had a CJ intake and an AED tune...I belive both drivers were/are members on here.

Users who are viewing this thread