Clutch Choice/Daily Driving

SVT CAMR

Established Member
There is no need for McLeod, CF, Spec or really any of them for your needs.

Stock type replacement or the FRPP would be absolutly fine for your needs.

Do yourself a favor and take this advice. Cant go wrong with a stock type replacement from frpp. Have fun. your wife is very cool :reckon: The only reason I have an aftermarket clutch is because when I was racing I was launching at 6K-7000 rpm from a stand still. I now have a street car with about 40 more rwhp than yourself and would not hesitate to get a FRPP replacement.

In fact if you want to get technical even when I was launching on slicks at 7000 rpms I was using a stock ford pressure plate and would just upgrade the disk. In your situation no slicks and no big launches so no need for anything but stock on a stock powered car.

Last edited:

robb15033

Established Member
OK.
I picked out a clutch cable, quadrant, and adjuster from Maximum Motorsports. Clutch fork from Speed Concepts FRRP. TOB & pilot bearing from FRRP.
I need to research the TOB retainer sleeve.
After these maintenance items are installed, next will be the obvious suspension needs, wheels, higher amperage alternator & Steeda underdrive pulleys.
Thanks for all the help.

Kiohtee

Established Member
You don't need a higher amperage alternator and don't waste your time and money on Steeda UDPs.

What are you doing exactly? :shrug:

laddanator

Established Member
OK.
I picked out a clutch cable, quadrant, and adjuster from Maximum Motorsports. Clutch fork from Speed Concepts FRRP. TOB & pilot bearing from FRRP.
I need to research the TOB retainer sleeve.
After these maintenance items are installed, next will be the obvious suspension needs, wheels, higher amperage alternator & Steeda underdrive pulleys.
Thanks for all the help.

Zak at The T45 Source sells the TOB retainer sleeve. Mine actually separated from the transmission and I got the steel upgrade. The Bell housing has to come off to replace it. It's not the hardest but not the easiest to replace either. It's the part that's over your input spline that the TOB rest on.

As far as alternator, i went with a 200 amp PA Performance setup and bought the 4 gauge wire upgrade. Once I installed my stereo equipment, my stock alternator actually caught on fire and melted the paint off of my hood in that area. Upgraded to the PA Performance deal and haven't looked back going on 3 years now.

robb15033

Established Member
You don't need a higher amperage alternator and don't waste your time and money on Steeda UDPs.

What are you doing exactly? :shrug:
Keeping it NA. Suspension upgrade. Clutch & gears. Brakes. Exhaust. Dyno tune.
Only reason I would consider UDP for this car was because I was having it tuned and figured it was common to add the underdrive pulleys. Just a consideration, thats all.

robb15033

Established Member
Today is the day I start pulling the trigger on parts. No rush, need to cooridinate scheduling labor for Mustang shop to install the clutch, gears, align the car after bumpsteer kit is installed with X2's, shocks/struts, ect.. Things I will need assistance with on installation.

Kiohtee

Established Member
I'm just trying to save you some money by keeping you from buying the unnecessary alternator and UDPs, that's all.

Look into March pulleys if you wanna go that route.

robb15033

Established Member
Well, made decision to attack my suspension needs:
H&R SS springs, Koni STR Fox body shocks & struts, J&M C/C plates, X2 ball joints, bumpsteer kit.
Ordered the rest of exhaust pieces:
New O2 sensors, high flow cats, O2 extensions, to pair up with ProChamber and Spintech 9000 mufflers.
This evening I will order:
McLeod Street Pro clutch kit, Maximum Motorsports cable kit, Brembo brake package.
Coming Together!!
Last will be wheels...
Allstar SP5ive Wheels:
5-start-3Allstr_zps761ad00e.jpg

ZeroDCX

Established Member
Attempting to save you some money here. Any specific reason for the MM Cable Kit? Stock cable is a nice quality piece as well.

Your car, or all older mustangs, would benefit from a nice set of SFCs if you don't have them already.

Nice wheels!

Last edited:

laddanator

Established Member
Attempting to save you some money here. Any specific reason for the MM Cable Kit? Stock cable is a nice quality piece as well.

Your car, or all older mustangs, would benefit from a nice set of SFCs if you don't have them already.

Nice wheels!

The MM cable kit is the stock Ford cable but made to be adjusted with a firewall adjuster.

Murder Snake

SnakeBT
Established Member
I purchased a used 11" flywheel (resurfaced it) and upgraded the clutch to 11" and used a new Terminator clutch. very happy with that and didn't break the bank.

Murder Snake

SnakeBT
Established Member
Well, made decision to attack my suspension needs:
H&R SS springs, Koni STR Fox body shocks & struts, J&M C/C plates, X2 ball joints, bumpsteer kit.
Ordered the rest of exhaust pieces:
New O2 sensors, high flow cats, O2 extensions, to pair up with ProChamber and Spintech 9000 mufflers.
This evening I will order:
McLeod Street Pro clutch kit, Maximum Motorsports cable kit, Brembo brake package.
Coming Together!!
Last will be wheels...
Allstar SP5ive Wheels:
5-start-3Allstr_zps761ad00e.jpg

rims look very similar to my Saleen SC wheels with rivets. love em.

ZeroDCX

Established Member
The MM cable kit is the stock Ford cable but made to be adjusted with a firewall adjuster.

I thought so, but couldn't remember precisely.

I've got no problems using the stock cable with my setup. So I figured he'd save one-hundred bucks by re-using the stock cable and spend that else where ie. SFCs.

Jatem

Established Member
Does that clutch kit come with a quadrant? I highly recommend replacing the quadrant if you are replacing the cable and firewall adjuster. All the teeth were ground off mine when I upgraded my clutch to stage 2 dual disc. The factory one is plastic :dw: I bought the BBK kit, I am super happy with it.

Last edited:

laddanator

Established Member
MM recommends to use their quadrant as it works better if your using their cable and firewall adjuster. I'm using all MM clutch cable parts and no other quadrant I used worked as well as the MM with their cable and FWA

robb15033

Established Member
GetImage.ashx

-I got the MM kit because I'm having issues with cable on the car now. Just like Omptima batteries and MSD plug wires I've had fail on me. I'm sure if i were to purchase new MSD wires tomorrow, they would probably work fine, but I'm not doin that. So, got me a MM cable kit and It should work nicely.
-Also ordered the McLeod clutch kit, FRPP T.O. bearing and pilot bearing.
-Lastly, I ordered the Cobra Brembo brake kit from SpeedConcepts.

robb15033

Established Member
MM recommends to use their quadrant as it works better if your using their cable and firewall adjuster. I'm using all MM clutch cable parts and no other quadrant I used worked as well as the MM with their cable and FWA

My other Mustang has a SPEC Stage1 clutch, Ford cable, and MM quadrant and adjuster. Got them piece by piece & worked out fine.

Users who are viewing this thread