Clutch recommendation and install recommendation

kozumasbullitt

Established Member
All,

My stock clutch feels like it slips a bit during normal stop and go driving and the engagement is at the absolute top of the clutch release. I am looking at getting a Mcleod RXT but am unsure what one is the right one. There seems to be ones with flywheels and ones without and the prices are all inline so I need some help. I have a 11 GT500 (7000 miles) with a VMP TVS (and supporting mods) and at this point in the mid 600s hp/tq. I can also use a good recommendation on a shop in the SF bay area that can do the install for a reasonable cost and that can do it correctly.

Last edited:

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
I went with the mcleod rxt that uses the stock flywheel and just replaced the slave cylinder too. I maybe wrong but I believe the kit that uses the mcleod flywheel uses the 07-09 slave and I liked the idea of using my cars parts with the clutch. I'm happy with how it feels and engages smooth, lethal is getting ready to have a huge 20% sale on these so your buying at the right time. Just an fyi I paid about 300 for the install. Go with a steel braided clutch line while your at it and get some better trans fluid if you haven't done so already, my choice is amsoil atf.

1320 Junkie

Established Member
I went with the more aggressive spec p trim....it weighs a ton less than stock setup...I really like it a lot..1st gear is tough to get zero chatter out of when its hot but shifts are precise and no slip whatsoever....I eventually plan on a big whipple sitting on top so I went more aggressive with my choice.

Ninjak

Posting from The Shadow's
Established Member
My question is why is the clutch slipping at 7k miles?

Because
I have a 11 GT500 (7000 miles) with a VMP TVS (and supporting mods) and at this point in the mid 600s hp/tq.

My stock clutch gave up at this point as well. Get a RXT. I ended up getting the flywheel and the clutch, (deal in market) then I went to rock auto and purchased a 09 slave. Clutch drives like stock, but whoa can it go !

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Because

My stock clutch gave up at this point as well. Get a RXT. I ended up getting the flywheel and the clutch, (deal in market) then I went to rock auto and purchased a 09 slave. Clutch drives like stock, but whoa can it go !

My stock clutch has been holding mid 700 whp for 50,000 miles, still not slipping at all....

Ninjak

Posting from The Shadow's
Established Member
My stock clutch has been holding mid 700 whp for 50,000 miles, still not slipping at all....

Some are lucky others are not. Though I will say I contributed to mines smoking out after doing a burnout in second...

mr 347

Established Member
No warrenty? Im stock, but my car is at James ford in HMB right now getting one. I have 11k miles.

SuperFly03

Established Member
No chance at a warranty on a wear item with engine mods.

7k just sounds early. That was my concern. I have 45k on the original clutch at 750rwhp.

kozumasbullitt

Established Member
No warranty? Im stock, but my car is at James ford in HMB right now getting one. I have 11k miles.

Mods....

ENGINE
VMP 2.3 PORTED TVS
TVS HUB SYSTEM
VMP HIGH FLOW ELBOW
2.4 VMP BOLT ON PULLEY
90MM IDLER
THUMP RACING TENSIONER
STEEDA ADJUSTABLE TENSIONER
FORE FUEL RAILS
13 GT500 INJECTORS
VMP DUAL 67MM THROTTLE BODY
JLT 127MM CF CAI
SCT X3 TUNNER VMP TUNE
JBA OR X PIPE
STAINLESS WORKS 3’’ CATBACK EXHAUST
STEEDA DUAL FAN HEAT EXCHANGER
3X HEAT EXCHANGER RESIVOIR
REISCHE 170 THERMOSTAT

I think the service department would laugh at me if I tried to make a warranty claim.

kozumasbullitt

Established Member
No chance at a warranty on a wear item with engine mods.

7k just sounds early. That was my concern. I have 45k on the original clutch at 750rwhp.

It sounds early to me as well but the engagement is at the absolute top of the clutch pedal travel. When I start in 1st I feel a slight shudder and if my memory serves correct, VMP commented on clutch slip on my last dyno session. This may be all in my head because I only started to think I had a clutch issue after I bought my new WRX. That clutch in the WRX engages at the mid travel point and is very smooth, it is almost hard to drive the Shelby going from daily driving the WRX.

SuperFly03

Established Member
It sounds early to me as well but the engagement is at the absolute top of the clutch pedal travel. When I start in 1st I feel a slight shudder and if my memory serves correct, VMP commented on clutch slip on my last dyno session. This may be all in my head because I only started to think I had a clutch issue after I bought my new WRX. That clutch in the WRX engages at the mid travel point and is very smooth, it is almost hard to drive the Shelby going from daily driving the WRX.

Not disagreeing with your assesment based on what you described but my concern would be that it is an indicator of a different issue and if you replace it without diagnosing it you may burn up another clutch. Do you detect slip or is the engagement just off? I knew my 07 clutch was shot when i floored it in third ont he freeway and the revs popped but with no pull.

My 07 went at 14k but that was at the very beginning before everyone knew aboutth e factory defect.

My '10 is holding at 715rwhp at 45k miles.

black03

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Put a McLeod RXT in it and be done. The car will drive like stock and clutch slip will be a thing of the past.

Let us know if any of you guys have questions regarding any of McLeods products.

Thanks,
Jared

kozumasbullitt

Established Member
bump. What is the main difference between the M designation clutch kit only RXT and the RXT with a steel flywheel? I have no idea why the clutch with flywheel is cheaper than the clutch only kit.

black03

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
bump. What is the main difference between the M designation clutch kit only RXT and the RXT with a steel flywheel? I have no idea why the clutch with flywheel is cheaper than the clutch only kit.

The M uses sprung hub discs and doesn't include a flywheel. It uses it's own friction surface which bolts to your stock flywheel. The M version is meant to fit on 2010+ gt500's and use the stock flywheel as well as the stock slave cylinder.

The 6918-07 uses solid hub discs and comes with a lightened steel flywheel. It will fit 07-09 cars using the stock slave cylinder. This setup will also fit and work great on 2010+ cars but will require the 05-09 slave as the stock 2010+ slave is too short.

Hope that explains it a little better. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,
Jared

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread