Clutch system fluid and shift issues.

fulanititoo8198

Established Member
Thanks for posting this I'm going to give this a try asap. Already ordered the reservoir cost 21 Shipped. Any alternative to the Castrol mentioned above? I can only find it in one litre 60 dollar containers. I've actually posted before about how dirty I am finding the clutch fluid so this makes perfect sense to me.

Last edited:

dead man walkin

Established Member
So you flushed the old fluid? Thru the entire line? Or you just used a turkey baster and sucked some out and dumped some in? Our system does not have a return line... guess what's still in the line? The old fluid. . I have read the turkey baster techniques and asked a tech about it.. it's like changing your brake fluid without bleeding the brake lines.. sure the fluid looks clean for a while, but you are just wasting fluid.

VETTEHUNTER

No cure for this disease.
Established Member
Interesting… So by divorcing the hydraulic clutch line from the brake fluid res, the clutch hydraulics are now independent from the brake system?…. or is it still tied in somehow?

If its independent, this is huge because in the past you have always had to bleed the brakes and refill with the fluid of choice to aid assist with clutch issues….If it becomes a separate system after the "divorce", it will make things much easier when it comes to replacing fluid.

Sick_Mustang

Established Member
While I do support clean fluid as I know for sure that helps and this method seems to make things a whole lot easier for changing fluid on the regular, I had different experience.

After getting an AED tune, I started to experience the dreaded spongy/sticky clutch at higher rpm shifts. Thought about moving the assist spring but have yet to get around to it. However I installed the whiteline transmission insert and energy suspension poly bushing and the spongy clutch is no more. I don't know how or why. I purposely did about 5-6 wot runs 1st-4th and it was perfect. Whereas before on the 2nd run I would feel the sponginess.

VETTEHUNTER

Established Member
While I do support clean fluid as I know for sure that helps and this method seems to make things a whole lot easier for changing fluid on the regular, I had different experience.

After getting an AED tune, I started to experience the dreaded spongy/sticky clutch at higher rpm shifts. Thought about moving the assist spring but have yet to get around to it. However I installed the whiteline transmission insert and energy suspension poly bushing and the spongy clutch is no more. I don't know how or why. I purposely did about 5-6 wot runs 1st-4th and it was perfect. Whereas before on the 2nd run I would feel the sponginess.

Although I'm glad you are not experiencing the spongy pedal anymore, the pedal issue most certainly is hydraulic related. The bushing replacement would have had nothing to do with it whatsoever.

PIKE5.0

Established Member
I just drained by system this weekend and replaced with Motul600.. It was a bitch. Wish I would've seen this to do the mod at the same time.

Last edited:

VETTEHUNTER

Established Member
I just drained by system this weekend and replaced with Motul600.. It was a bitch. Wish I would've seen this to do the mod at the same time.

And that is why this mod has me thinking….If you separate the line from the brake fluid reservoir and run it to its own unit, like the OP did, would it be just as easy as adding fluid, pumping the pedal, and repeating it until the clutch line and slave are flushed and replaced with new fluid…..Just like the GM systems?

If so, it would keep one from having to bleed brakes to get all the fluid out of the combined hydraulic system….just to have better clutch fluid.

Sick_Mustang

Established Member
Although I'm glad you are not experiencing the spongy pedal anymore, the pedal issue most certainly is hydraulic related. The bushing replacement would have had nothing to do with it whatsoever.

My understanding is the pressure plate is the real issue. Everything else is just a band aid fix to mask the problem.

Whatever the case, my band aid seems to have helped my personal car.

bizaarmatt

Established Member
My understanding is the pressure plate is the real issue. Everything else is just a band aid fix to mask the problem.

Whatever the case, my band aid seems to have helped my personal car.

75699C54-3BF4-46CD-A9BF-F8DC41CEDF2F_zpsph5kyojq.jpg

I did this to my car also! It got me threw last race season, but now The clutch is pretty much done with symptoms of the Pressure plate!

VETTEHUNTER

Established Member
75699C54-3BF4-46CD-A9BF-F8DC41CEDF2F_zpsph5kyojq.jpg

I did this to my car also! It got me threw last race season, but now The clutch is pretty much done with symptoms of the Pressure plate!

So I'll ask you since you have done it….. After this mod is performed and the brake reservoir is removed from the equation, the ENTIRE clutch hydraulic system is separate…..and to replace the fluid once it brakes down, the turkey baster method can be utilized?…..Bleeding of the brakes will never come into play again when changing fluid???

bizaarmatt

Established Member
So I'll ask you since you have done it….. After this mod is performed and the brake reservoir is removed from the equation, the ENTIRE clutch hydraulic system is separate…..and to replace the fluid once it brakes down, the turkey baster method can be utilized?…..Bleeding of the brakes will never come into play again when changing fluid???
Yessir! makes fluid changes alot easier! In my case my fluid originally overheated cause I had to get on the brakes hard!

VETTEHUNTER

Established Member
I'll definitely be doing this also. I had 2006 Z51 vette a few years ago and I am very familiar with the clutch dust blow by that we had issues with back then.

Thanks for writing this up also!!!

-Nick

You and me both brother….had an 07. I would turkey that shit out every 500 miles. When I saw these cars had a combined hydraulic system, I knew it was going to be a PIA to get ALL the fluid out…This mod eliminates that mess and simplifies things.

Sick_Mustang

Established Member
Anyone have a better idea for blocking off the brake res?

For whatever reason I don't feel comfortable with just a cap and worm clamp....

What does the automatic version look like?

VETTEHUNTER

Established Member
Anyone have a better idea for blocking off the brake res?

For whatever reason I don't feel comfortable with just a cap and worm clamp....

What does the automatic version look like?

Good Point. I'll see what I can find on the automatic reservoir.

Users who are viewing this thread