Cobra Jet Cams or Comp Cams????

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
I think you can get 550 from stock heads with comp stage 3's, ported CJ, SCJ TB, 4.5 CAI, full exhaust, and FTW fuel. To get 550 on E85, same combo, but custom cams with phasers. If doing ported boss heads I'd do custom locked for lift benefits. Ported stock heads, custom cams with phasers, ported CJ and 13-14:1 should be 600 plus on FTW. JPC has recently made 590+ NA, just not sure on cubes or compression.

That would be a nasty combo.

throthaduece85

spinning not winning
Established Member
how do the JPC regrinds compare to comps in a stock gt head (boss springs)? Assuming the CJ intake setup you've been referencing and full exhaust are there. I know they are cheaper, but thats all i know.

SmokeGreyHatch

Established Member
how do the JPC regrinds compare to comps in a stock gt head (boss springs)? Assuming the CJ intake setup you've been referencing and full exhaust are there. I know they are cheaper, but thats all i know.

Adam runs these, but he's probably leaving 35-40 on the table. I think JPC gained 35 or so in testing.

Sean@LethalPerformance

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
a little off topic, but is anyone fabbing up some 4.5" intakes to work with the cj manifold FS? Im sick of waiting for frpp's intake.

Last edited:

01bluesnake

Established Member
a little off topic, but is anyone fabbing up some 4.5" intakes to work with the cj manifold FS? Im sick of waiting for frpp's intake.

I built the Cai for my car as well as mikes to get the manifolds on within a quick time frame. I have a ported CJ thread in which I have a few pics up of it. I also am currently building one for another member that should be shipping out by the weekend pending part arrival.

I believe 01bluesnake and 86merc have there custom made 4.5 intakes.

Thanks. :beer:

Shaun@AED

I built the Cai for my car as well as mikes to get the manifolds on within a quick time frame. I have a ported CJ thread in which I have a few pics up of it. I also am currently building one for another member that should be shipping out by the weekend pending part arrival.

Thanks. :beer:

These Home Made CAI's dialed in very nicely BTW.

01bluesnake

Established Member
I think you can get 550 from stock heads with comp stage 3's, ported CJ, SCJ TB, 4.5 CAI, full exhaust, and FTW fuel. To get 550 on E85, same combo, but custom cams with phasers. If doing ported boss heads I'd do custom locked for lift benefits. Ported stock heads, custom cams with phasers, ported CJ and 13-14:1 should be 600 plus on FTW. JPC has recently made 590+ NA, just not sure on cubes or compression.

Nice info, thanks. I would most likely keep compression at around 12-12.5 max and set it up to run on E85 so I can DD it as I please. FTW is a great fuel and if I had a class to be in would think about running it, just a little tall for my budget lol. I don't have a doubt I could get very close to 600 which is why I have been starting to move away from FI. I think a nasty NA combo through a mt82 would be badass for sure.

SmokeGreyHatch

Established Member
That would be nice. I was thinking comp stage 3's, ID1k's, FTW, boss springs and billet oil pump gears and then good to go.

1k's would work well also with room to grow. Oil pump gears is another good debate. Not convinced rpm kill them, but makes sense. I've also heard blower harmonics/strain kill them as well. Curious how much driveline shock and overall power factor in as well. I would lean to power and harmonics personally. Haven't seem an NA failure yet and a lot of boss and CJ cars buzzing high....

Hard to say springs are needed also. Maybe with more miles on cammed cats with stockers we'll know more.

Last edited:

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
1k's would work well also with room to grow. Oil pump gears is another good debate. Not convinced rpm kill them, but makes sense. I've also heard blower harmonics/strain kill them as well. Curious how much driveline shock and overall power factor in as well. I would lean to power and harmonics personally. Haven't seem an NA failure yet and a lot of boss and CJ cars buzzing high....

Hard to say springs are needed also. Maybe with more miles on cammed cats with stockers we'll know more.

Yea i figures if I was just going cams and oil pump gears then I most likely would skip the valve springs. But If I was going stage 3 heads or something then I would go with valve springs anyways.

Ive only seen/heard of the oil pump gears on f/i cars also.

ford20

Established Member
Documented comp stage 3 gains and custom gains of 70+ versus JPC's claims

So he is leaving those gains on the table by not going with the comp or custom cams? I see I thought you meant that he didn't get very aggressive with the tuning of the cams.

az20115.0

Established Member
I forgot to answer your question. No I don't have any head work done, they are stock. Hopefully someone will come up with a CJ intake, TB, and CAI package. I wouldn't mind upgrading to that.

Can't wait to see your dyno results

twistedneck

Established Member
I was told that upgrading to billet oil pump gears was not wasted money. there were some early failures going through the traps, and possibly one failure in the world challenge before billet gears were used.

Users who are viewing this thread