Cobra Jet Cams or Comp Cams????

az20115.0

Established Member
If you read my posts, you'd realize they've all been based on actual cars, with actual shops, producing actual results. Call up JPC and talk about 600 to the tire NA, but then again it must be impossible because BV600 hasn't attained it or seen it attained without a power adder. Any keyboard racer can pick up a credit card and order a "whatever flavor cake of the day" special blower. It takes more than a credit card to make an N/A car fly.

Amen

throthaduece85

spinning not winning
Established Member
Question for smoke. After installing a boss manifold, many do not see a drop in ET. There may be some peak HP gains, but the car isnt going any faster. HP is a statistic in my opinion. On a full weight NA car like yours, with the SCJ setup and LTs, what are you putting up on the scoreboard?

(not trying to be a douche, just ET/MPH are the results I care about)

KalEl370

Established Member
I do not personally have them, but from the three people that do have them that I know, drivability is all in the tune
Thanks for the tip about having Shaun @ AED tune my car. He worked with me starting Thursday and had my tune down by Saturday. Awesome guy to work with and response and customer service are second to none. The car drives like stock now and absolutely rips from 4.5k to 7.5k+. Power and drivability are very smooth. I am very happy and hopefully will make it to a dyno soon to see what she puts down.
Here's a short vid testing out the tune.
Stage 3 cams AED tune - YouTube

SmokeGreyHatch

Established Member
Question for smoke. After installing a boss manifold, many do not see a drop in ET. There may be some peak HP gains, but the car isnt going any faster. HP is a statistic in my opinion. On a full weight NA car like yours, with the SCJ setup and LTs, what are you putting up on the scoreboard?

(not trying to be a douche, just ET/MPH are the results I care about)

Agreed and no offense taken. It's because the cars are most likely not geared properly. A 120 or more mph car needs 3.90's and a 115-119 needs 4.10's. ET is in the 60 for which with a boss or cj, you now need to launch the car at 6500-7000 and let it eat. I sold the car and combo, so unfortunately no track times. Sorry.

SmokeGreyHatch

Established Member
Thanks for the tip about having Shaun @ AED tune my car. He worked with me starting Thursday and had my tune down by Saturday. Awesome guy to work with and response and customer service are second to none. The car drives like stock now and absolutely rips from 4.5k to 7.5k+. Power and drivability are very smooth. I am very happy and hopefully will make it to a dyno soon to see what she puts down.
Here's a short vid testing out the tune.
Stage 3 cams AED tune - YouTube

Anytime, Shaun and his resources are both great. Are you on E85 or pump and do you have cam limiters or none? Should be a good 480+ rwhp car. Bet it feels great!

KalEl370

Established Member
Anytime, Shaun and his resources are both great. Are you on E85 or pump and do you have cam limiters or none? Should be a good 480+ rwhp car. Bet it feels great!

I'm on 93 pump gas. No limiters. It's funny because no one around here wanted to tune it without limiters and Shaun did it remotely with datalogging. Amazing. I'm getting 23mpg on the highway. Car feels awesome. Thanks!

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
The only problem I have with N/A power in this engine....

You have to spin it high to get the power out of it without boost. That means I have to change out the stock 3.15 gears and limit myself to ~550 rwhp.

I'd prefer twins and forged internals with stock gears to maintain part throttle fuel economy, yet still be faster on the top end.

Last edited:

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor

You have to spin it high to get the power out of it without boost. That means I have to change out the stock 3.15 gears and limit myself to ~550 rwhp.

I'd prefer twins and forged internals with stock gears to maintain part throttle fuel economy, yet still be faster on the top end.

What the **** did that have to do with this thread at all?????

SmokeGreyHatch

Established Member

That's fine. Take your fully loaded 4000 lb 700 rwhp turbo car into the high 10's at 130 and the 500-550 rwhp NA cars in this thread will run circles around it at 3500 lb spinning 7500, all while getting 28 mpg on the way home. 7500 is nothing to these motors and won't blow with a bad tank of fuel like a PA car

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
What the **** did that have to do with this thread at all?????

Everything! You have to short gear the car to make it perform as intended at the track. Fuel mpg will decrease due to gearing at interstate speeds.

That's fine. Take your fully loaded 4000 lb 700 rwhp turbo car into the high 10's at 130 and the 500-550 rwhp NA cars in this thread will run circles around it at 3500 lb spinning 7500, all while getting 28 mpg on the way home. 7500 is nothing to these motors and won't blow with a bad tank of fuel like a PA car

LOL! The build I am doing is in the 9's. I'm impressed with your N/A knowledge, it's just not for me. I doubt you will get 28 mpg on the interstate at 70+ mph with 3.90+ gears.

P.S. JPC put a single turbo on and ran a 10.05 @ 145. Did you miss that thread?

Last edited:

KalEl370

Established Member

We get it, you like turbos.....woohoo. The turbo thread is that way --->

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
We get it, you like turbos.....woohoo. The turbo thread is that way --->

Forgive me, I have all respect for N/A cars that are built/tuned right. I didn't cast the first stone talking about how bad ass a N/A car was and how slow a loaded GT with twins is.

Last edited:

CshiznitzJ

Established Member
I'm on 93 pump gas. No limiters. It's funny because no one around here wanted to tune it without limiters and Shaun did it remotely with datalogging. Amazing. I'm getting 23mpg on the highway. Car feels awesome. Thanks!

Did you do the cam install?

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
Forgive me, I have all respect for N/A cars that are built/tuned right. I didn't cast the first stone talking about how bad ass a N/A car was and how slow a loaded GT with twins is.

No you came in here spewing bullshit about FI when this is a thread about n/a camshafts.

Funny also because everyone thinks there going to buy a turbo kit and put it on an auto and go 9's.

CshiznitzJ

Established Member
No, I had the shop that was building my short block add them while the heads were off and upgraded valve springs as well.

Cool. I have thought about doing the cam swap in the stock motor or taking it somewhere. How many hours of labor did they charge you? I'm guessing since the engine was already out and apart the cam install didn't add much.

ford20

Established Member
And another thing. Heads are not a cost effective mod on an N/A car. They are worth 20-25 tops and only needed if going for 600 rwhp N/A. You can make 60-90 rwhp with cams alone.

Recipe for 550 rwhp:

Custom cams
CJ intake
SCJ TB
4.5 inch CAI
1 3/4 or 1 3/4-1 7/8 step + full exhaust
E85 Fuel

Recipe for 575 rwhp:

Custom cams
CJ intake
SCJ TB
4.5 inch CAI
FTW Fuel

Recipe for 600 rwhp:

Valve job (back cut), light port on heads (stage 1-2)
Custom cams
CJ intake
SCJ TB
4.5 inch CAI
FTW Fuel

All the bullshit about who said what aside do you have any proof of these numbers outside of call this person to find out? When you say back cut valve job are you referring to a 3 axis valve job? What about unshrouding the valves?

KalEl370

Established Member
Cool. I have thought about doing the cam swap in the stock motor or taking it somewhere. How many hours of labor did they charge you? I'm guessing since the engine was already out and apart the cam install didn't add much.
I was already upgrading the valve springs since I run the boss intake and just had them substitute tbe comp cams for the stockers so there was no extra charge. Honestly I dont know what the labor charge would be for cams.

Users who are viewing this thread