Cobra Paint

Major362000

Established Member
I am new to the forum and have just bought a 2004 cobra off e-bay... looked great, owner said it had never been in an accident or painted. Waxed it last weekend and saw a few minor specs of what look like dust in the paint...very minor, but has me concerned. The color all around looks great and is redfire mist metallic so it would be seem to be very hard to match as well as it is. Does anyone else have any imperfections in their factory paint?

Strato_Chief

SVT Cobra
Established Member
None that I've noticed.

Take a look in under the hood, trunk, door jams, etc and you will find a fine line if it has been repainted.

cobra1923

Established Member
lots of examples of poor fitting body panels, thin paint, poor paint application...but never heard anyone say dust in the paint? Have you done a wax stripping / clay bar / buff / wax rotation yet?

Major362000

Established Member
I have not tried that yet, but it does look like the few specs of dust are embedded in the paint. Ford body shop guy says that it looks like possibly poor filter job from the factory...

Jefe

Established Member
Ya post some pics. Was that the salvage Redfire Cobra in SD? Might of been some touch of paint or something...

Major362000

Established Member
Bought it in Arizona...no salvage title and was bought new from a dealer in Scottsdale. I'll post a few pics... It was on E-bay about 3 weeks ago and was listed as having only 1600 miles.

Steve2050

Established Member
A speck of dust here and there is normal. My 08 F150 Lariat (Redfire) has the odd speck. What annoys me is the factory orange peel finish. Look at a M-B from 10 years ago and then look at a new model and you'll notice the factory finish is better (smoother)on the older car. Maybe because of waterbourne clear coats?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
What color paint? And you mentioned it was "listed as having only 1,600 miles". That mileage is correct?

How much did you pay for it?

Major362000

Established Member
I paid 27,000 for it... it is Red fire - and as far as I can tell it is original miles, 1600 when I picked it up. a few things look a little odd for having that low of miles, an odd chip in the paint here and there, but it is the specks in the paint that throw me.

Flad

Wanting
Established Member
have some one run you an Oasis report. I've got no spec's on mine, and my 04 Gt had none either.

hand-to-ball

That Was Just Your Life
Established Member
I am new to the forum and have just bought a 2004 cobra off e-bay... looked great, owner said it had never been in an accident or painted. Waxed it last weekend and saw a few minor specs of what look like dust in the paint...very minor, but has me concerned. The color all around looks great and is redfire mist metallic so it would be seem to be very hard to match as well as it is. Does anyone else have any imperfections in their factory paint?

Look for tape lines on the door jambs, inside the rear quarters when you open the trunk...also look for signs of galled bolts (an indication that the body part has been removed). Take a halogen light and shine it between body panels then look at each part of the panels for a color match. You can also look for slight wet-sanding marks within the paint. Even the best re-spray of a body panel won't match the color of the rest of the car 100%.

Those specs you see are called dust nibs and would immediately make me suspect re-spray. For as bad as the quality of Ford (or other manufacturer's)paint can be, the factory environments are usually pretty contaminate-free.

The biggest factory defect I see is orange peel, which has to do with the actual application from the gun itself. Dust nibs or fish eyes would be the result of a poor environment or poor prep. You'd think after 100 years of automobile paint and technology that they could somehow eliminate or drastically reduce orange peel, yet I see brand new cars that look like I painted them. What's worse, is that one panel might have awful OP while the next looks much better.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
have some one run you an Oasis report. I've got no spec's on mine, and my 04 Gt had none either.
That is definitely a good idea, but it won't show work done that wasn't reported.

hand-to-ball

That Was Just Your Life
Established Member
Orange peel looks just like the peel of an orange - literally. It typically happens when the gun isn't turned high enough so the paint sort of splatters out, leaves dimples similar to those of the peel of an orange. Every car has it to some extent...that's why your reflection isn't perfectly clear when you look into your paint.

Users who are viewing this thread