Cobra Prototype?

CMcCarthy

Established Member
If you have a decent monitor, you can clearly see the outline of the lettering on the quarter panel in this pic. It is almost unquestionably the Car Craft car.

c1_4.JPG

If it is in fact the same car, it may or may not have an A4 based Duttweiler motor in it. The blower is missing, so I suspect the engine has been swapped too.

Just to further clarify, when the car was originally built it did not have the Florida 5.0 gauge cluster, '95 R hood, or the Draglites. I dont think it had the retro shifter either.

cobra186

Stang Trader
Established Member
Someone paid $9100 for it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hope they really don't think they just bought a Protptype 93R. Hopefully the buyer knows what they bought and will restore the car to its Car Craft days. It does have a unique history for sure.

CMcCarthy

Established Member
cobra186 said:
Someone paid $9100 for it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hope they really don't think they just bought a Protptype 93R. Hopefully the buyer knows what they bought and will restore the car to its Car Craft days. It does have a unique history for sure.

Actually, they probably bought a prototype '93 Cobra. Not an R model, just the plain Cobra. That car was delivered to Car Craft from Ford with all the Cobra goodies. I'm willing to bet its a certified mule.

BLWN DSG

Vettillac
Established Member
I doubt it being a cobra "r" model. I thought the "r" model did not have A/C and I see a compressor in the engine bay along with lines to run it.

CMcCarthy

Established Member
Alrighty there guys, I think it's been undeniably established that this IS NOT a Cobra R prototype. There seems to only be one of those on earth, and it's black.

However, I still maintain that this is actually just a plain Cobra prototype. Not an R model, but a plain ol' production Cobra. The car was delivered to Car Craft (The magazine, not the company in Michigan) as a Cobra. It was red over gray with all the Cobra goodies present. Car Craft then raped it and made it into a 200mph cover car. Then it was sold, the supercharger (and likely the Duttweiler A4 306) were parted out, and then some mullethead got it and added a cowl hood and draglites.

So there it sits, a shadow of its former self, but a significant car nonetheless.

svtdriven

Established Member
A 93 cobra is still a 93 cobra in my book, I'd have liked to have bought that car.

so how many prototypes were there total? 2 cobras and 1 R?

Speedfreek

Established Member
CMcCarthy said:
Alrighty there guys, I think it's been undeniably established that this IS NOT a Cobra R prototype. There seems to only be one of those on earth, and it's black.
No There is another one and it is Red.

cobra186

Stang Trader
Established Member
svtdriven said:
A 93 cobra is still a 93 cobra in my book, I'd have liked to have bought that car.

so how many prototypes were there total? 2 cobras and 1 R?

That's the thing this car is not a "real" 93 Cobra.... The vin# is a 92GT.

This car has some historic value.... but it would have a lot more monetary value to some people if the car had documentation to prove its history.

I have an 84 SVO that was a Ford internal car originally. It is a super early built car. Its production date is in the summer of 83 several months before production started and it has an DSO of 89. The car has added value to some people because of its history, but I have no documenatation as to what the car was originally used for.

There are 2 known 93R prototypes. I'd bet there were 10 or more 93 street cobra prototypes built. The biggest issue with prototypes/test mules is they are generally destroyed after or during testing. Not many make it into public hands.

CMcCarthy

Established Member
I'd be willing to bet that if you found out who the author of the Car Craft stories was, and got in contact with them, a TREMENDOUS amount of light could be shed. I'm sure they know the name of the POC at Ford who provided the car, and that person will know at least something about the car's prior history.

1993R

Established Member
Here is the 93R Protoype "Black". Owned by a guy here in Atlanta and who is a subscriber in our forums. I believe he is in Iraq. The car is pictured next to my 93R at a NASA event held at Road Atlanta. This car has some really cool one off things on it.

Last edited:

Speedfreek

Established Member
CMcCarthy said:
Correct, but the red one is just a shell these days, is it not? No vin or anything if I remember correctly.

No it's complete, it was bought as a roller but is back together.

1993R on the black one would you happen to know what the buck tag info say's on it?

1993R

Established Member
Nope, I have some other shots though. Motor had a more aggressive tune on the computer according to Doc Jewel who drove it and rode shot gun in my car. I have a custom chip sitting on my desk that should wake the R up a little.

BADBOYSPACK

Ford Tech
Established Member
Post the pics of it you have.

What type of chip is it ? and is it for a stock engine of a special tune with your mods ?

Users who are viewing this thread