Cobra Prototype?

cobr96

getting old
Established Member

1993R

Established Member
R-man the car was for sale at one point.
Some Cool stuff.
The wheels are center pin BBS that were drilled for lugs.
Notice how the rear of the cage goes into the side panels.
The drivers side dooor panel is really cool.Used an oem panel and cut the bottom out and fabricated panel so the door bars go into the door.
This is great car to open track...........

R-MAN

Established Member
Black Proto

was it all done like that in beginning or did the guy that has it now do the stuff:shrug:

1993R

Established Member
If my memory serves me correct Ford shipped a test mule to Paul Rossi racing to run high speed and race condition testing.The car was modified by Paul Rossi racing for those test.Current owner purchased car from Rossi. The car current condition is exactly the way the Ford test were run including decals etc........There is a picture of it in the SVT Recognition guide taken at about the time of thes tests

CMcCarthy

Established Member
Wow, I'd say the Car Craft car was definately robbed of its goodies. Interestingly, the FRPP valve covers with Duttweiler stickers on them remained in place. Note in that article it references it as both a '92 and a '93 Cobra. Interesting.

cobr96

getting old
Established Member
note in the photos the underhood and under body are still white, and the article on page 4 states the car still has "2.73 "gears that it came with, but the door sticker shows the 3.08 option? I talked to the owner about two years ago and he said when he bought the car the engine/trans, brakes , and the Konis where already gone . so he or someone added everything it has now to try and make it look like a cobra again. I am going to try to find the first carcraft to see what the car looked like when they got it from ford.

cobr96

getting old
Established Member
Last edited:

CPViolation

Car Crazy
Established Member
CMcCarthy said:
Alrighty there guys, I think it's been undeniably established that this IS NOT a Cobra R prototype. There seems to only be one of those on earth, and it's black.

However, I still maintain that this is actually just a plain Cobra prototype. Not an R model, but a plain ol' production Cobra. The car was delivered to Car Craft (The magazine, not the company in Michigan) as a Cobra. It was red over gray with all the Cobra goodies present. Car Craft then raped it and made it into a 200mph cover car. Then it was sold, the supercharger (and likely the Duttweiler A4 306) were parted out, and then some mullethead got it and added a cowl hood and draglites.

So there it sits, a shadow of its former self, but a significant car nonetheless.
It should be white like the '95 R or comp orange.

cobra186

Stang Trader
Established Member
Rossi sold the black prototype to a guy in California. The car was then sold to the current owner in Georgia. If I remember right the current owner gave mid-teens for the car. He listed it on ebay about 6months or so after he bought. He wanted 28k for it on ebay I believe.

93SVTCobra

Established Member
I looked over the car at the 40th Anniversary event last year and it looked pretty much as I remember seeing it back in 1993. Granted back then it was just a mule in the garage and I didn't memorize every detail of it.

I can tell you that at one point it was sitting in the middle of the test track on the pavement with no wheels and tires on it. I believe that was shortly before it was "put out to the pasture" (sent to Paul R).

CMcCarthy

Established Member
Jeff, 2000 Cobra Rs were Performance Red. Competition Orange is a 2004 color, and frankly the two aren't even similar.

Last edited:

racerbox77

Established Member
Im sorry but that proto type black 93 looks ugly with those wheels and bright stickers. Also the gauges how they're placed on the dash.:dw:

Users who are viewing this thread