Cobra R, SVT items and misc. stuff found on eBay and for sale elsewhere

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
Robert M said:
Has anyone been watching the original issues of the SVT Cobra Recognition Guide recently? They have gone crazy!!

Yea, a friend just bought a 93R. He called me before the purchase, and then after he picked it up. I suggested he go to eBay for the Guide.

As soon as the new Guide is available (hint, hint; to those involved), the price of the old guide will return to normal levels.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
1995COBRA-R said:
Yea, a friend just bought a 93R. He called me before the purchase, and then after he picked it up. I suggested he go to eBay for the Guide.

As soon as the new Guide is available (hint, hint; to those involved), the price of the old guide will return to normal levels.

^^^^^^^^^Or will it? The old/original guide is a Cobra recog. guide although it does have "some" info. on the other SVT vehicles. All books are numbered and have become in demand for what they are, "a collectors item if you will". From what I understand, the new/updated book is a complete guide for the entire SVT vehicle line-up, and is not a specific "Cobra Recognition Guide", although most of the original books info. will probably be included. <<However, I do know some Cobra info./pictures are being updated for the new guide, at least for the 95 2-Tops. I have a feeling the original guides will hold their own for what they are, "the out of print limited number originals", a great addition to any SVT enthusiasts library. Of course I could be wrong, it has happened before.

I would definitly like to pick up a second copy of the original guide, but not at $100+. I am surprised that the bidders/buyers are willing to pay these big $$$ when the newer version is on the horizon, but like I said, I don't think that is a major factor, "the original guide is what it is".

I hope you are right though, I would like to pay $20-$25 or so for a second copy as I had paid for my first copy.

R

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
Robert M said:
Or will it?

Hey, I am just an internet pundit. :-D You know you should take my opinions as worth what you paid for them.

I hope you are right though, I would like to pay $20-$25 or so for a second copy as I had paid for my first copy.
I left a wide hole in my opinion. I just mentioned that they would return to...

the price of the old guide will return to normal levels.
;-)

I located two people that have (but are not interested in selling them) two nice 93R's (each). :read:

I may even know of someone that has a 93R but really wants a wrapper 95R.
:dw:

Cobra R Man

IMSA RACE CAR
Established Member
Robert M said:
Has anyone been watching the original issues of the SVT Cobra Recognition Guide recently? They have gone crazy!! One is on eBay right now with 2+ days left, it is over $75. The last two that were on eBay sold at over $100 ea.! One of the on-line book companies has a copy for $225!!! Crazy!!

R

Are you sure there is a "NEW" updated guide coming? I had paid for a copy in advance, and the man putting it together, passed away. His family refunded my money, as well as everyone else, as far as I know. Since then, I haven't heard of another guide being published. Do you have new information, or have I "not paid attention"?

Tom Shep,

Do you know anything about this?

Last edited:

93SVTCobra

Established Member
The new book is coming (I think I've been saying that for a couple years now).

With Tom's passing there were some legal issues which required the entire book to be re-written. Unfortunately the person who is doing the re-writing is quite busy and hard to nail down.

I have about 90% of the book (pre complete re-write) that was going to be released and have to say that it was pretty good. Unfortunately it will never see the light of day past my computer screen......

It was probably about 2 months from being completed when Tom passed away.

Good news is that it has A LOT of information in it. Bad news is that it's not out....

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
93SVTCobra said:
The new book is coming (I think I've been saying that for a couple years now).

With Tom's passing there were some legal issues which required the entire book to be re-written. Unfortunately the person who is doing the re-writing is quite busy and hard to nail down.

I have about 90% of the book (pre complete re-write) that was going to be released and have to say that it was pretty good. Unfortunately it will never see the light of day past my computer screen......

It was probably about 2 months from being completed when Tom passed away.

Good news is that it has A LOT of information in it. Bad news is that it's not out....

I was contacted a few months ago regarding my cars and some high quality photos that were needed for the updated guide. I have since been in touch with the people, or I should say one of the people who has continued the work on this project, it is coming along.

R

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
1995COBRA-R said:
Hey, I am just an internet pundit. :-D You know you should take my opinions as worth what you paid for them.

I left a wide hole in my opinion. I just mentioned that they would return to...

;-)

I located two people that have (but are not interested in selling them) two nice 93R's (each). :read:

I may even know of someone that has a 93R but really wants a wrapper 95R.
:dw:

I value your opinion highly and I hope you are right and I am wrong...........

Just thinking about it, these original SVT Cobra Recog. Guides were also a good investment, if purchased new in 2000, 01, 02 at their original $19.95, they are at least 5 times their original cost now, and even 6 times in some cases, big money no, good investment yes. Maybe the market will colapse with the new versions release.

But like I said, I would like a second copy, but they are way past what I am willing to spend at their current price.

R

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
Robert M said:
But like I said, I would like a second copy, but they are way past what I am willing to spend at their current price.
I think you need three copies of the old and the new guides (or maybe four). You'll need one for each car so as to enhance their eventual selling price. ;-)

93SVTCobra said:
I don't understand. Why can't you publish your own book?

jv84venom

Established Member
Will the REAL Cobra R Intake Plaque please stand up?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2000...005QQitemZ150084613285QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Here's another one up on Ebay.... This one, listed as unpainted, is painted black, or molded in black plastic? The other guy selling them, who claimed he only had 3, has been selling them like hot-cakes for months!!! or longer.... His were supposedly unpainted and looked to be silver??? So what's the deal???? are they real, or fake???:shrug:

f8tlbite

fordplay equals fordgasms
Established Member
I doubt it, no where in the item description does it say OEM :shrug: . It might be real though, hey if you can't tell who else will:thumbsup:

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
jv84venom said:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2000...005QQitemZ150084613285QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Here's another one up on Ebay.... This one, listed as unpainted, is painted black, or molded in black plastic? The other guy selling them, who claimed he only had 3, has been selling them like hot-cakes for months!!! or longer.... His were supposedly unpainted and looked to be silver??? So what's the deal???? are they real, or fake???:shrug:

I just hope my real one, the one on my 00R, does not stand up!

R

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
Cobra R Man said:
Are you sure there is a "NEW" updated guide coming? I had paid for a copy in advance, and the man putting it together, passed away. His family refunded my money, as well as everyone else, as far as I know. Since then, I haven't heard of another guide being published. Do you have new information, or have I "not paid attention"?

Tom Shep,

Do you know anything about this?

I helped with a couple of pages on the 2 top 95s before Tom passed. One of the last sections needing completion was the 95Rs that were raced. That didn't happen. A handful that were close to Tom are trying to complete his efforts.

All I should say is the whole situation is very unfortunate for enthusiasts and I am certain Tom would be quite saddened by it.:(

Tom

93SVTCobra

Established Member
1995COBRA-R said:
I don't understand. Why can't you publish your own book?

The question is who owns the rights to the book when the author dies. The dirtbag co-author (I use that term loosely as he really doesn't know much about Mustangs) or the Enthusiasts who helped him along the way.

The humorous part (if there is one) is that the co-author doesn't even have a copy of the original manuscript yet he claims to have written the whole thing!

Tomshep said:
All I should say is the whole situation is very unfortunate for enthusiasts and I am certain Tom would be quite saddened by it.

You don't know the half of it.......

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
93SVTCobra said:
The question is who owns the rights to the book when the author dies.

I can understand that the "SVT Mustang Cobra Recognition Guide (1993-2000, or as amended or updated)" could have a copyright issue.

That doesn't mean that Doc's "Mustang Cobra History" (not affiliated with Ford Motor Co.) can not be published.

I don't know Peter S. Sessler. I do own a few books that he authored. I think he has written over 40 books and was the editor of MuscleCars magazine. It could be that he is so rich now that he doesn't have to work anymore? :shrug: :-D

93SVTCobra

Established Member
1995COBRA-R said:
I don't know Peter S. Sessler. I do own a few books that he authored. I think he has written over 40 books and was the editor of MuscleCars magazine. It could be that he is so rich now that he doesn't have to work anymore? :shrug: :-D

That is DEFINITELY NOT the case!

MCipriani

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
93SVTCobra said:
The question is who owns the rights to the book when the author dies. The dirtbag co-author (I use that term loosely as he really doesn't know much about Mustangs) or the Enthusiasts who helped him along the way.

The humorous part (if there is one) is that the co-author doesn't even have a copy of the original manuscript yet he claims to have written the whole thing!

You don't know the half of it.......

"Dirtbag co-author" ...that's the best thing I've heard all day Mark! :beer:
I couldn't have said it better myself...without using MUCH stronger words. But then he would threaten to sue me again.

Yes, the new book could have been finished by now and done the way Tom wanted. But now it will take much more time and effort for those of us involved. While I can't make any promises, we are trying to revamp the book and make it into something much more comprehensive that should suit all SVT enthusiasts.

Believe me, when we are close to completion, I will make sure EVERYONE here knows.
And a big THANKS to those here who have helped me gather the info necessary to continue the project. I owe you a great deal.

~Marcie
T-5 Design

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
FastGirl said:
"Dirtbag co-author" ...that's the best thing I've heard all day Mark! :beer:
I couldn't have said it better myself...without using MUCH stronger words. But then he would threaten to sue me again.

Yes, the new book could have been finished by now and done the way Tom wanted. But now it will take much more time and effort for those of us involved. While I can't make any promises, we are trying to revamp the book and make it into something much more comprehensive that should suit all SVT enthusiasts.

Believe me, when we are close to completion, I will make sure EVERYONE here knows.
And a big THANKS to those here who have helped me gather the info necessary to continue the project. I owe you a great deal.

~Marcie
T-5 Design

Hi M!!

R

MCipriani

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Robert M said:

Hi Robert! I got the scoop on the exhaust system on Tom's 95-R. I knew something was different about it - The cats were taken off and an H-pipe installed so he could run racing fuel and not ruin the cats. (Does that sound right? ha ha - what the hell do I know?) But I do know it has racing fuel in it - it smells awesome when I start it up.
Anyway, I checked and the original cats are in the basement and will go with the car. When the weather breaks I will officially put it up for sale, probably on eBay...so it will end up on this thread eventually. :)

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
FastGirl said:
Hi Robert! I got the scoop on the exhaust system on Tom's 95-R. I knew something was different about it - The cats were taken off and an H-pipe installed so he could run racing fuel and not ruin the cats. (Does that sound right? ha ha - what the hell do I know?) But I do know it has racing fuel in it - it smells awesome when I start it up.
Anyway, I checked and the original cats are in the basement and will go with the car. When the weather breaks I will officially put it up for sale, probably on eBay...so it will end up on this thread eventually. :)

^^^^^^^^^For those looking for a low mile (2800 original) 1995 Cobra R, here is a nice one!

Marcie, this was/is the actual 95R used for the photo's in the original 1993-2000 SVT Cobra Recognition Guide, correct?

R

Users who are viewing this thread