Coilover's?? Or not.

joel3431

Brain Terminated.
Established Member
I just bought a 03 Cobra ZY Conv. I am deployed overseas but will be home soon so I am trying to get all my basic parts down. I have a thread started in Terminator talk with the list of mods. It has IRS brace and Poly bushing set just put on. Stock shocks springs etc. I want to lower of course, but what would you guys do since I have to buy shocks etc anyways. This is going to be my DD, all new shocks struts etc with H & R sport springs or another combo, and if you picked the first combo what shock strut combo?

SlowSVT

Established Member
Coilovers place the entire weight of the car on the shock towers.......something for which they are not designed to do. Not something I would do without beefing them up. Not something I would do in a vert that lacks any reinforcement for the A-pillar and fender aprons. I would stick with the factory coil suspension in your case.

SVT_Troy

Established Member
I thought people used a shock tower brace to support coil overs better. I believe Maximum motorsports does recommend this when going with coilovers.

SlowSVT

Established Member
I thought people used a shock tower brace to support coil overs better. I believe Maximum motorsports does recommend this when going with coilovers.

A STB will do nothing to address where the load will be placed (verticle) on the shock towers using coilovers.

shurur

Established Member
many road racers on this forum will tell you coilovers are fine with our cars.

The rear towers can have the seams welded and as I understand it the front is fine (maybe those can be welded as well..dunno.

But some may be running with cages and down supports on the rear towers..dunno.
I do submit to this forum that the CHE shock tower brace is a different animal compared to all other shock tower braces...mine is bolted in..not screwed in..and could be welded...

The big question for me was how much would it really do for my DD??
Would I notice it?
Or even Do I just have to have it because?
for me the answer was no to all Q's.

I have the drop I want with H&R race springs and cash for other stuff..
It is something you can put off for later as well...

I assume you have read this:
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/new-edge-cobras-51/213384-irs-tech-article.html

http://www.fulltiltboogieracing.com/mystery_of_irs.htm

Most terminator guys I know have finally gone to FTBR delrin and a real subframe...especially verts
I say finally because I was into delrin in 2007..watching them yawn at me at the car shows when I talked about my suspension mods....finally in 2011/20012...they discovered delrin bushings help..

Last edited:

Jroc

Established Member
I had some MM C/O's. They were okay, but I wasn't overly impressed with their performance for the $. They actually gave me some aggravation, and I always though the rear C/O's work a lot better than the fronts. My guess is C/O's will shine better with an improved geometry frontend. If I had another Cobra, and was to do it again I would probably go with something like Steeda Sport springs, and some good Koni's.

Users who are viewing this thread