Cold Air Intake?

smokincobra04

Established Member
Right now I have a drop in k&n. I was thinking about doing a cold air intake and was wondering which one is best performance wise and also do I need a tune? Thanks:rockon:

bobbyj

Established Member
People will argue both ways on this. I am for it, I have an intake tune and axle back exhaust and i put down 417hp and 394tq on a dynojet. I'm not sure if I would had achieved the same numbers without an intake. The sound of the intake was also a plus. As often as used ones pop up on here for sale I would definitely buy one. I have an airaid intake and I love it. Looks very flush and clean under the hood. And with the airaid it comes with a piece that narrows the opening of the intake where the MAF is so that you can use it without a tune. I put it on with that piece without a tune for about a thousand miles and then I took Off that piece and got It tuned. I didn't notice a difference with the intake without a tune though. So if you go without a tune don't expect much out of it.

Tispho

Established Member
The power you gain with an intake only is not worth the cost. An intake + tune however will give you power you can feel. Just be warned. Ford can tell you tuned your vehicle if it ever needs engine service.

The stock cold air on these cars are actually good.

bobbyj

Established Member
I've had mine in for transmission issues and its been warrantied with a tune. But if the motor has issues I would bet they would pull the PCM. But for other problems I don't forsee them searching for a tune. Granted every dealer is different.

bam2012@TBR

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Looking at your signature I see offroad x pipe, I assume that you already have a tune. A used intake out of the classifieds would be your best bet. I ran a jlt with tune before my paxton, and run a jlt now. I did it with the tune, but I don't see how it could hurt anything. I wouldn't waste money on an intake that doesn't require a tune.

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
BobbyJ hit the nail on the head. People will always argue both sides, but when coupled with a tune, an intake can help, as it eliminates some of the restrictions that the OE intake system contain

TXSVT1

Established Member
Iam wondering has anyone tried just buying another pcm and gauge cluster to install while you have your aftermarket parts on and then switch them out if something breaks?

tj@steeda

Established Member
We can definitely help you with a tune and CAI ... very impressive gains.

I believe you own a 2011 in your signature ... Combined with the required custom tune using an SCT X3 Flash programming device we have achieved dramatic power increases of up to 44hp and 52ft/lbs of torque!

Let me know I can provide additional support or feedback.

Best Regards,

TJ

65sohc

Established Member
Shortly after I bought my Boss last year I had it tuned at AED. Gained 7 hp with tune alone. Subsequently I added a Steeda CAI and Shaun adjusted the tune. Recently I dynoed my car locally. With Steeda CAI and AED tune it did 407 on a Mustang dyno. For comparison I then put it back to totally stock with factory intake and tune and it did 387.

65sohc

Established Member
BTW I do have a Steeda tune on my SCT flasher as well. It would be interesting to compare the AED and Steeda tunes with the Steeda CAI installed back to back. SOTP says there is little difference WOT. AED is smoother in the midrange at part throttle. Both tunes are good.

DIB5.0

Established Member
BTW I do have a Steeda tune on my SCT flasher as well. It would be interesting to compare the AED and Steeda tunes with the Steeda CAI installed back to back. SOTP says there is little difference WOT. AED is smoother in the midrange at part throttle. Both tunes are good.

Bingo its the feel of the tune. They all have a different feel as some are smoother and have more pull down low. I had an '11 with several tunes and tracked them and all ran the around the same et with the same trap speeds. I installed an Airaid and my traps never changed.
The guys that were claiming 30-40hp gains from a tune were probably getting a few hp out of the lean AF and high 20s timing, but then the PCM learned the timing back out, and if you turned that off, bye bye #8 after enough hard driving.

Last edited:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Every dyno sheet I have seen only showed a 5-7 HP gain with an intake on a near stock car, even with a tune. To me, the investment isn't worth it. I've decided to drive my new car with the stock intake until the built engine and twin turbo kit is installed. No point wasting money on the intake that will give so little when it will be worthless on the final build.

FIVEHOE

Established Member
As far as intakes, JLT or airaid seem to be the most popular on the board. I'd say mostly JLT because of the supercharger packages.

I'm sure you can't go wrong no matter which route you go

darreng505

Established Member
We can definitely help you with a tune and CAI ... very impressive gains.

I believe you own a 2011 in your signature ... Combined with the required custom tune using an SCT X3 Flash programming device we have achieved dramatic power increases of up to 44hp and 52ft/lbs of torque!

Let me know I can provide additional support or feedback.

Best Regards,

TJ

This just isn't possible with only a CAI. Maybe you are pushing the engine to the limit with the tune, but I wouldn't recommend that to anyone. My Steeda CAI + Steeda tune (before other mods and eventual dyno tune) added about 10-15hp and 8ft/lb. Which isn't alot of gain for the $800+ price of CAI's these days.

Users who are viewing this thread