Comparison: 5.2 Voodoo vs other NA engines.

ScreamingFast

Chicks love big Slicks!!
Established Member

oldmodman

Established Member
Very informative article.

I wouldn't be surprised if some of those high end car manufacturers aren't calling their engineers in for a "little conversation"

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
they didnt use it in the GT because they want to promote the ecoboost engines and theyve already done a ton of R&D work testing the race engine right in front of everyone. Why start all that over again?

IamRacerX

No brand loyalty rhetoric here.
Established Member
Great engine!! It's a shame cars are getting so heavy. That thing in a 3000-3200lb car would boggie.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
they didnt use it in the GT because they want to promote the ecoboost engines and theyve already done a ton of R&D work testing the race engine right in front of everyone. Why start all that over again?

According to sources here it was about homologation rules.

HEMI LOL

Twin Screwed
Established Member
indeed, imho Ford as a car maker is slowly moving up in the automotive world. seriously impressive engineering come from dearborn.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Kudos to Ford for this awesome engine. The GT-350 is going to prove to be a home run for Ford. And for the lucky folks who end up owning one.

derklug

Seriously? No, never.
Established Member
Premium Member
I thought that Ford went with the Ecoboost to stay in the displacement range. I think the class they are going with is limited to 4.0l.

I wish people would quit talking up the GT350, ADM's go up $10 for every kind word.:cryying:

Last edited:

oldbones

The blue bowtie
Established Member
I can't wait to get my hands on a gt350. In the next couple of years I should be able to get on.

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
Interesting read. Just wonder why Ford didn't choose this engine for the Ford GT? I bet a raced spec version can make just as much as the ecoboost race motor? Yeah power to weight I get it and perhaps not as much tq but with its high revs means better powerband placement (in and out of corners) and less shifts right?

3.5L vs. 5.2L is similar fully dressed. Power could have been the same either way and is largely irrelevant because the class is only about 600 hp anyways. 1. Rules are favorable for small displacement turbo engines. 2. you really need DI to be competitive in endurance racing, which 5.2L is not. It will cost a boatload when the engine family becomes DI. More than a Ford GT program would justify. 3. Once they decided on the V6, the packaging became tailored to the dimensionally smaller engine. There is much less freedom in LM GTE regarding what you can do with the engine than what you can with the aero. There was a lot of pissing and moaning at the FIA Ladoux test that the car had unfair advantages, but in the BoP era, they'll just tweak everyone until they are roughly equal anyhow.

Users who are viewing this thread