Concealed-carry permit holder shot and killed while reaching for wallet

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
Always have your wallet out already when cops get to your car, hands visible. Common sense.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
Camera girl seems crazy calm. Good thing she thought to facebook it instead of helping the dying man. Smells like a setup.

Branhammer

Established Member
Always have your wallet out already when cops get to your car, hands visible. Common sense.

From what was said (and this part isn't in the video, so who knows?), the cop asked the guy for his ID and the guy complied. I don't know about you, but I keep my ID in my wallet too. Now, I may go ahead and pull the wallet out of my pocket the minute I'm pulled over, but who's to say the cop doesn't see my "reaching" for something through my back window and I get the same results? This knee-jerk, shoot them if they even blink reaction is, in my opinion, a reflection of poor training. If I were a black man and I got pulled over, I'd honestly not move at all at this point. Even if the cop asked me for my ID. I'd just sit there until he pulled me out of my car and then go rag-doll until he had me in cuffs. Let him get my ID himself. At least I wouldn't get shot dead. Not saying that this is what's necessary, but the media and certain cops are definitely making it seem that way. And how does one tell the good cops from the bad? Seems like a big gamble...

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member

See, I've always wondered about that. If cops are already trigger-happy, when the hell is it a good idea to ever reach to your waist or pocket or glovebox to grab anything. If the cop is walking up to your car and you're grabbing for something in your back pocket, won't he be suspicious? But then when he's already at the side of your car, he'll be even more itchy.

Seriously though, how can these cops be so dumb to basically have the gun out ready to shoot when someone is just getting their ID after they were INSTRUCTED TO DO THAT BY THE COP HIMSELF.

And isn't there better protocol when it comes to concealed weapons? If the dude had a gun in the car, make him get out before asking for his ID. If the gun is on his person, make him get out so the cop can retrieve the gun before proceeding with the ticket or whatever.

Are cops just terrified when they have to interact with black people? Honestly, if you are going to work scared every day and fear for your life while at work, you aren't cut out to be a cop. I work with explosives on a daily basis and it's the same deal. A few people in my area always seem terrified that something is going to happen. When something small goes wrong, they bolt for the exit. Clearly, they aren't cut out in this profession.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
I've been pulled over once since getting my CCW. I told the officer when he got to the window that I was permitted and was actually not carrying at the time. I had my hands on the wheel and asked him permission to get into the glove box to get my papers. I didn't do anything without him first giving me the okay.

cbj5259

Established Member
Bad shooting...no justification. Cop will eat shit on this and rightly so.

If the media is going to start posting shooting videos, they should post them all and not hand select the ones that fit the narrative they are pushing. Over twice as many whites are killed by the police. Guess they are all cut and dry I suppose? Or maybe the media is pushing an agenda?

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Last edited:

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
See, I've always wondered about that. If cops are already trigger-happy, when the hell is it a good idea to ever reach to your waist or pocket or glovebox to grab anything. If the cop is walking up to your car and you're grabbing for something in your back pocket, won't he be suspicious? But then when he's already at the side of your car, he'll be even more itchy.

Seriously though, how can these cops be so dumb to basically have the gun out ready to shoot when someone is just getting their ID after they were INSTRUCTED TO DO THAT BY THE COP HIMSELF.

And isn't there better protocol when it comes to concealed weapons? If the dude had a gun in the car, make him get out before asking for his ID. If the gun is on his person, make him get out so the cop can retrieve the gun before proceeding with the ticket or whatever.

Are cops just terrified when they have to interact with black people? Honestly, if you are going to work scared every day and fear for your life while at work, you aren't cut out to be a cop. I work with explosives on a daily basis and it's the same deal. A few people in my area always seem terrified that something is going to happen. When something small goes wrong, they bolt for the exit. Clearly, they aren't cut out in this profession.

Take a wild guess. Or just turn on any news channel.
I doesn't take long to get a wallet out. Mines always out hands on the wheel before the cop even gets out his car.

If you're the type that fumbles around for a wallet for 60 seconds please sit still.

And if you're the type that looks like a hoodlum understand you are 10 times as likely to get shot.

Last edited:

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member

I put all the windows down, shut the vehicle off, hands stay on the wheel, greet the officer when he walks up, then when he asks for my info I tell him where its at and where i'm reaching. Havent been shot yet.

Booky

Who's Pick'n The Banjo Here?
Established Member
When I got pulled over about 6 months ago, the HP officer already knew I had my CCW.

The first thing the officer said when he came up to the car was "do you have your conceal carry weapon on you or in the vehicle?"

As for the shooting:

1) Why did the officer have his gun drawn and ready to shoot when the man was stopped for a broken tail light, had a legal CCW, his girlfriend next to him and daughter in the back seat?
It was not like it was a high speed chase with a car load of gang bangers.

2) The victim's girlfriend was eerily calm throughout the entire incident. Was she in shock?

3) Was the steering wheel on the wrong side, or was I just looking at the video wrong?

Last edited:

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
The video was setup in selfie mode, so everything is reversed. This is a bad shoot all the way around.

cbj5259

Established Member
I put all the windows down, shut the vehicle off, hands stay on the wheel, greet the officer when he walks up, then when he asks for my info I tell him where its at and where i'm reaching. Havent been shot yet.
Some people do strange stuff when they are stopped. They freeze up, get panic attacks, shake uncontrollably....seen it all. Some people are calm, cool and collected and treat the stop like they are having a conversation at a coffee shop. As a police officer you have to be prepared for and expect both kinds of people and recognize the difference, as well as recognize when the person means to harm you. Reading a person is the key to your safety and ultimately theirs as well.

I stopped counting how many CCW people I have stopped or had contact with over the years. In this commonwealth, people are not obligated to announce they are carrying (although many do, for which I am grateful)...so I have probably had contact with more than I know. You would be shocked how many stupid things some of these guys and gals did that required split second decisions. Everything from opening the glove box and grabbing the gun to hand it to me (without saying anything) to placing it on front seat as I walked up to the car "so it was visible". The bottom line is never underestimate the stupidity of the average person and learn to read people. That being said...I have yet to shoot a CCW permit holder.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
Bad shooting...no justification. Cop will eat shit on this and rightly so.

If the media is going to start posting shooting videos, they should post them all and not hand select the ones that fit the narrative they are pushing. Over twice as many whites are killed by the police. Guess they are all cut and dry I suppose? Or maybe the media is pushing an agenda?

Just playing devil's advocate. If the are 2x as many whites shot but over 2x as many whites in general then per capita...

Last edited:

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
Some people do strange stuff when they are stopped. They freeze up, get panic attacks, shake uncontrollably....seen it all. Some people are calm, cool and collected and treat the stop like they are having a conversation at a coffee shop. As a police officer you have to be prepared for and expect both kinds of people and recognize the difference, as well as recognize when the person means to harm you. Reading a person is the key to your safety and ultimately theirs as well.

I stopped counting how many CCW people I have stopped or had contact with over the years. In this commonwealth, people are not obligated to announce they are carrying (although many do, for which I am grateful)...so I have probably had contact with more than I know. You would be shocked how many stupid things some of these guys and gals did that required split second decisions. Everything from opening the glove box and grabbing the gun to hand it to me (without saying anything) to placing it on front seat as I walked up to the car "so it was visible". The bottom line is never underestimate the stupidity of the average person and learn to read people. That being said...I have yet to shoot a CCW permit holder.

I've been pulled over so many times my heart rate doesn't even fluctuate.

Drive XR7

NE Ohio's Fastest
Established Member
Very sad. Makes my blood boil, especially when the kid in the background said "don't worry I am here" to his hysterical mother. He will hate and distrust cops for the rest of his life.

cbj5259

Established Member
Just playing devil's advocate. If the are 2x as many whites shot but whites make up 72% of the population while blacks are 12% there are way more blacks killed per capita.
That is correct, per capita more blacks are shot. More blacks also live in poverty per capita too and commit more homicides per capita as well. Some would say that using facts and stats to back up an argument is racist but they do speak for themselves. The bottom line is that annually about 200 to 250 blacks are killed by police. There are about 45 million blacks in this country. The rate for justified police shootings stands at over 97%, but for the sake of argument let's say 90% of all shootings are legally justified. So if 250 blacks are killed annually by the police then absolute worst case scenario is that 25 innocent blacks a year are murdered by the police. I would hazard a guess that if you are black that your risk for being struck by lightning is probably about the same. So out of a population of 45 million people the police kill 25 people unjustifiably. Hardly an epidemic.

Drive XR7

NE Ohio's Fastest
Established Member
That is correct, per capita more blacks are shot. More blacks also live in poverty per capita too and commit more homicides per capita as well. Some would say that using facts and stats to back up an argument is racist but they do speak for themselves. The bottom line is that annually about 200 to 250 blacks are killed by police. There are about 45 million blacks in this country. The rate for justified police shootings stands at over 97%, but for the sake of argument let's say 90% of all shootings are legally justified. So if 250 blacks are killed annually by the police then absolute worst case scenario is that 25 innocent blacks a year are murdered by the police. I would hazard a guess that if you are black that your risk for being struck by lightning is probably about the same. So out of a population of 45 million people the police kill 25 people unjustifiably. Hardly an epidemic.

Some would say 25 is 25 too many and there should always be an effort to reduce this as much as possible.

2KBlackGT

The Man, Myth, The Legend
Established Member
Camera girl seems crazy calm. Good thing she thought to facebook it instead of helping the dying man. Smells like a setup.

What? Did you see that gun the cop had pointed at the car? And him telling her not to move? You must have wanted to see two black people dead instead of one cause had she made any sudden movements she would have gotten shot too.

From what was said (and this part isn't in the video, so who knows?), the cop asked the guy for his ID and the guy complied. I don't know about you, but I keep my ID in my wallet too. Now, I may go ahead and pull the wallet out of my pocket the minute I'm pulled over, but who's to say the cop doesn't see my "reaching" for something through my back window and I get the same results? This knee-jerk, shoot them if they even blink reaction is, in my opinion, a reflection of poor training. If I were a black man and I got pulled over, I'd honestly not move at all at this point. Even if the cop asked me for my ID. I'd just sit there until he pulled me out of my car and then go rag-doll until he had me in cuffs. Let him get my ID himself. At least I wouldn't get shot dead. Not saying that this is what's necessary, but the media and certain cops are definitely making it seem that way. And how does one tell the good cops from the bad? Seems like a big gamble...

Dude "fit a description" and the cop was ready. Black guy in a crown vic? Yeah cop already had him pegged as a criminal.

I doesn't take long to get a wallet out. Mines always out hands on the wheel before the cop even gets out his car.

If you're the type that fumbles around for a wallet for 60 seconds please sit still.

And if you're the type that looks like a hoodlum understand you are 10 times as likely to get shot.

What does a hoodlum look like?

FocusSTGuy

Established Member
There are two shooting videos going around right now. One justified and one not (this one). This is just the new mentality of the militarized police to treat everyone as an enemy combatant. Makes them jumpy. When they get jumpy someone loses a life who should not have.

2KBlackGT

The Man, Myth, The Legend
Established Member
Some would say 25 is 25 too many and there should always be an effort to reduce this as much as possible.

Man the police investigate themselves, that justified by law crap means nothing. How many of those "justified" shootings also involve settlements with the families? If the shootings are so justified you should not be paying out any settlments

Users who are viewing this thread