Coolant Leak - Looks Like Water Pump (Pictures Inside)

vipergts281

Established Member
Noticed I'm leaking coolant. It only appears to leak when the fan kicks on. After doing some research, I'm thinking the water pump is leaking from the weep hole.

I was looking under the car while it was leaking. There is a tiny gap between the lower crank pulley and the oil pan, it was coming from there. Isn't the water pump right above there?

In the first pic, it's coming from the area that's pretty much dead center in the pic. And you can see it dripping onto the sway bar.

Also found out I have a rear end leak as I was finishing up with this coolant leak today. Here is a thread on that in case you may have some input.

Coolant Leak.jpg
Coolant Leak 1.jpg

vipergts281

Established Member
Bueller?

Leaked a decent amount today. Is it even possible for more than a steady drip to come out of the weep hole on the water pump? I feel like it is leaking too much for it to be coming from the weep hole.

vipergts281

Established Member
I was under it when it was leaking. It was coming from above the lower crank pulley area. Other than that, I can't see the EXACT spot it's leaking from.

01yellercobra

Established Member
The water pump is right above the crank pulley. Is it leaking enough that you've had to add coolant?

vipergts281

Established Member
The water pump is right above the crank pulley. Is it leaking enough that you've had to add coolant?

Yes. There is a puddle about the size of a fist (maybe a little larger) on the ground after driving. But again, it only seems to leak when the fan kicks on. When I checked it the other day it ran for 5-10 minutes and there was NO leaks. As soon as the fan kicked on, it started leaking. Not sure why since the water pump is always moving if the car is on. Maybe the water expands enough at that point to "overflow" somewhere and leak out??

I have a new water pump ordered.

It's either that or the tube that is under the supercharger/intercooler that runs along the valley. I know there are o-rings in them. I'd rather not rip the blower off right now, so hopefully it's not that.

01yellercobra

Established Member
My guess would be the coolant is puddling up on the top of the timing cover and when the fan kicks on it blows the coolant out. The reason I asked about the coolant level is if you haven't had to add coolant it might be the intercooler lines.

hotcobra03

Established Member
Water pump weep hole...mine did that...you can get a better view if you take off water pump pulley...you will than see weep hole on bottom of pump

vipergts281

Established Member
My guess would be the coolant is puddling up on the top of the timing cover and when the fan kicks on it blows the coolant out. The reason I asked about the coolant level is if you haven't had to add coolant it might be the intercooler lines.
Hmm, that could be it.

I checked the lines (that I could see). I thought it was one where a rubber hose connects to a metal one, the rubber hose didn't go that far over the metal, so I fixed it. But that wasn't it.

Water pump weep hole...mine did that...you can get a better view if you take off water pump pulley...you will than see weep hole on bottom of pump
That's what I was assuming it was. Just hard to believe so much can come out of a weep hole..maybe the hole is bigger than I think it is. Or maybe it's just puddling up like slo984now mentioned.

Either way, my new water pump gets delivered tomorrow and the plan is to fix it this weekend. So when I get everything off I'll obviously be able to see better and see exactly what the issue is.

Thanks guys, appreciate the input!

01yellercobra

Established Member
Yeah. There always seems to be some coolant leftover no matter how long you let it drain.

vipergts281

Established Member
Yeah a decent amount came out.

The old water pump was a big pita to get off. I was beating it with a hammer and it wouldn't budge. Finally after a ton of whacking it broke loose.

Got everything done and back to normal.

We already knew it, but to confirm, it was the pump. Before I removed it I could see coolant coming out of the weep hole when I turned the pump by hand and/or squeezed a coolant tube.

Users who are viewing this thread