Cooling a Tech pack on the track

cluscher

Established Member
They rented the track and did not have HPDE sessions running. Sounds like they could come and go from the pits as they please. Sounds like it was a demo day, so I suspect longer sustained runs didn't happen? Hopefully they'll chime in.

Para81

Established Member
So I am ready to go pick up a White tech package car available at msrp but this is troubling. My race car doesn't have any coolers. Seems to work fine. But it also doesn't have any sensors to put it limp home mode. Makes me think I should wait for an R. I suspect there will be plenty available when the hype dies down.

Bruce

Why would you buy an R when you can get a GT350 Track Pack with all the cooling already installed? That's the one to get unless you have to be 1 of 500 and want 14,000 dollar Carbon fiber wheels....

Established Member
I confirmed with FP the 15/16 scoop cooler does not fit the gt350, but I ordered one anyway. I am hoping a minor mod will do the trick.

It is what it is, and for me that's extremely disappointing. The bean counters and marketing folks are to blame and I hope the get a black eye for this. Not only should the car not be sold without the coolers or some type of cooling, there should have been a plan for upgrading the base and tech cars to FIX the flaw.

As an engineer, I can tell you there was a heated debate on the topic and we all know who lost.

65sohc

Established Member
I think Ford planned it this way from the beginning. One of their goals was to offer most of the GT350 experience for under $50K. There is no way they could have done this and include the coolers or Magneride. One year is sufficient to satisfy the base level consumer, allowing them freedom to change content and increase price for 2017.

krt22

Established Member
You are likely right, I've been in plenty of those meetings were engineering decisions are trumped by the finance folks. They never seem to understand that it's always cheaper to do it right than it is to do it twice.

One other thing someone brought up on the other forum, the lethal folks have tracked their tech-pack car (with a pro at the helm) and never reported an issue. Not to say they did not have issues and kept quiet about it, but the poster noted they are catless. The cats are right next to the tranny bell housing and at high RPM will turn into two big ol radiant heat sources.
142688-track-drive-ford-shelby-gt-350-gt-350r-by-larry.2-lg.jpg

So some shielding between the tranny and cats might prove fruitful. The lund Ngauge also can read the tranny temp so you might want to pick one up and datalog to see if your are making any headway.

65sohc

Established Member
As far as the heat issue is concerned, I still go back to the fact that the Lethal car lived all day with, as far as anyone knows, not a whimper. I suspect it is because their trans is not flanked by a pair of 1600 degree furnaces. I am opposed to removing cats because I value my health. Having said that it would be interesting to know and easy to find out if exhaust heat is to blame. If so the cats could be removed for legitimate track use or insulated by some means. I hope the Lethal guys chime in.

65sohc

Established Member
I emailed them and this is the reply:
"Thank you for your inquiry. Your best option is to use our Muffler Armor on one half of the CAT. You don’t want to over insulate a cat. Using the Muffler Armor to shield the half facing the transmission and it should help significantly."

b4409

Established Member
Why would you buy an R when you can get a GT350 Track Pack with all the cooling already installed? That's the one to get unless you have to be 1 of 500 and want 14,000 dollar Carbon fiber wheels....

Well, I'm that guy who would like an R. I've had a few R's previously so I guess I am the target market for one. I will take it to the track and beat on it a couple of times but have a race car for regular track duty. When I was turned on to the dealer car, I just wanted to buy the car in front of me. When the dealer screwed around and changed the deal, I realized I would be better waiting and ordering what I would like in terms of color, etc. Hopefully and R is available at my dealer and they will sell it to me, but if I not, any 350 will do! Probably a tech pack to get the radio and seats if a 2016.

CO Mack

Established Member
I bought a tech car because it's main purpose for me is fun street driving and road trips with my family. But I do plan an occasional blast on track. Here's exactly what SVT engineering told my service writer when I tried to order the coolers mentioned in the manual-

"Thank you for the call in today about the transmission/differential cooler for the Tech/Base GT350’s. As it stands currently, our aftermarket, Ford Performance Parts team is working on this.

As I discussed with you earlier, the diff cooler is easier than the transmission cooler because of the hardware involved. The electrical in both cases is the challenge. The transmission is also different between the base/tech car, and the R/Track car due to the inputs/outputs of the transmission cooling.

We’re looking into solutions for this, but I can tell you nothing is currently available from us."

I'm extremely disappointed in this answer. I got it before the 2017 announcement so it appears it really is a no BS challenge to integrate into the base/tech cars. I suspect as discussed above, this challenge has now finally overridden original finance input to not put the hookups in these cars.

Established Member
. They never seem to understand that it's always cheaper to do it right than it is to do it twice.

The lethal folks have tracked their tech-pack car (with a pro at the helm) and never reported an issue. Not to say they did not have issues and kept quiet about it, but the poster noted they are catless. The cats are right next to the tranny bell housing and at high RPM will turn into two big ol radiant heat sources.

This substantiates the heat source and issue...

Or, maybe I am flogging mine much better than that lethal turtle :fm:

krt22

Established Member
Really hard to say it substantiates anything, just might be an area to look at.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Here's exactly what SVT engineering told my service writer when I tried to order the coolers mentioned in the manual-

"Thank you for the call in today about the transmission/differential cooler for the Tech/Base GT350’s. As it stands currently, our aftermarket, Ford Performance Parts team is working on this.

As I discussed with you earlier, the diff cooler is easier than the transmission cooler because of the hardware involved. The electrical in both cases is the challenge. The transmission is also different between the base/tech car, and the R/Track car due to the inputs/outputs of the transmission cooling.

We’re looking into solutions for this, but I can tell you nothing is currently available from us."

Good stuff - thanks for it.

Established Member
The scoop arrived and the rear mounts look like they will fit correctly with the hw provided. I need to remove the underbody plastic thing to see if the front mounts are there or can be adapted, I think I feel them, and if so, hopefully I'll be able to slot the plastic to get to them. It looks like it might be tight around the oil pan, so possible trimming.

It looks fantastic when I hold it up, looks functional - and beefy. Optimism persists

Last edited:

Established Member
After reading the link below, I wonder if Lethal turtle was commissioned to find out why the tech cars were over heating and they proved they solved the problem by removing the cats...

Whatever it is, SVT engineers are figuring it out too and schooling marketing:

"Prospective buyers of 2017 Shelby GT350s wishing you could order both the Track Pack and Technology Package can fret no more. The 2017 model year makes the Track Pack goodness standard, so you can easily add the optional electronic goodies."

Looks like us early adopters residual just slid a bit. ADM should go away for remaining inventory and if I had one on order, I would not worry about a 1k deposit especially if allocation can be moved to a '17. Even get the "R" fin. More than required engineering improvements, there are other good marketing actions and '17's (<-- is that a word?) should be hotter than ever.

I'm madder than the snake who married the garden hose... Guess I'll have to enjoy my 16 tech car as more of a sleeper, no fin... and I do :)

http://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/auto...standard-equipment/ar-BBpFWnm?ocid=spartandhp

Last edited:

cluscher

Established Member
You are well on your way to resolving the issue, and I bet your findings are going to help a lot of people out. Feel good about that! Once you get the tranny temp issue under control, you're right there with a '17 and you have had a year+ longer to enjoy the car. The R spoiler will still only be on the R.....the track pack spoiler will be the standard. The sleeper look is cool, but there is also an aftermarket track pack spoiler out there at a reasonable price. My bet is if you are into your car at around MSRP, you'll be better off financially too. Good luck and thanks for sharing all your info. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread