Cop downs active shooter from 183 yards with a red dot, one shot

_Snake_

Established Member
I think it was pointed out in several videos that he was firing on the officer that arrived on scene.

I’m no genius, and far from battle field trained, but I’d think I could spot a guy 200 yards away shooting at me from the road.

Maybe not though.

This.

Not too difficult to ID someone shooting a long gun if you’re looking for him.

As others have said, hitting someone from that distance while the adrenaline is going with the first shot is damn impressive and I’d agree it’s probably not the first time he’s been in that situation.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
See that tiny spec that the red arrow is pointing at? It is a target (about the size of a torso) at 200 yrds….:

View attachment 1763140

You can hit it with a red dot or even irons (if your trained enough) but knowing who the hell it is might be a problem….

Bad guy must have been wearing a neon orange jump suit and been the only MF’er in the street… is all im saying…

I hit a torso sized target with my pistol at 180 yards last time I was at the range about a month ago. It was also at dusk so I could barely see it but still hit. So if it was day time and with a rifle that is an easy shot.

Junior00

Hurter Of Delicate Vaginas
Established Member
Premium Member
Don’t care what some say, a 50/200 zero is the sweet spot for engagements with only a couple inches spread between them before gravity really takes over.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
I hit a torso sized target with my pistol at 180 yards last time I was at the range about a month ago. It was also at dusk so I could barely see it but still hit. So if it was day time and with a rifle that is an easy shot.

That’s fantastic marksmanship with a pistol. Im guessing you had a red dot on it?

regardless, I am not saying that hitting targets at 200 yrds with a rifle/red dot is difficult…. I can do that myself…. What im saying is that ID’ing a guy with a handgun (from others in a small group) at 200 yrds would be hella difficul.

_Snake_

Established Member
Thats not the first bitch he has put on the deck thats for damn sure

You (probably) called it.

Google search showed he joined the SWAT team in 2018.

TEAM APPOINTMENTS:
Effective May 28, 2018
Police Patrol Officers Aaron McNeely and Christopher Munn are appointed to the Special Weapons and Tactical Team (SWAT).

Last edited:

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs

Pretty good shot. What, 4ft drop?

svtfocus2cobra

Established Member
That’s fantastic marksmanship with a pistol. Im guessing you had a red dot on it?

regardless, I am not saying that hitting targets at 200 yrds with a rifle/red dot is difficult…. I can do that myself…. What im saying is that ID’ing a guy with a handgun (from others in a small group) at 200 yrds would be hella difficul.

No, iron sights only. It's my carry pistol. Remember me talking to you a while ago about practicing long distance pistol shooting? I have a different grip I use and all that and it helps me a lot hitting out past 100 yards.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
No, iron sights only. It's my carry pistol. Remember me talking to you a while ago about practicing long distance pistol shooting? I have a different grip I use and all that and it helps me a lot hitting out past 100 yards.

Solid. Yea. I remember that…

Never been at a spot where I can shoot pistol at that distance… Lucky you. :p(y)

bird_dog0347

Established Member
I too have shot a 1/3 IPSC metal target at 165 yards in low light conditions with a .40 cal 1911 using iron sights standing with nothing to brace me. I was able to hit it about 70% of the time. This was in a NO PRESSURE situation though and completely different from what this officer was experiencing. Could I do it with my 1911? Likely... Would it be advisable? Absolutely not.

svtfocus2cobra

Established Member
I too have shot a 1/3 IPSC metal target at 165 yards in low light conditions with a .40 cal 1911 using iron sights standing with nothing to brace me. I was able to hit it about 70% of the time. This was in a NO PRESSURE situation though and completely different from what this officer was experiencing. Could I do it with my 1911? Likely... Would it be advisable? Absolutely not.

Think about it though, at 180 yards you're likely getting the drop and not being directly shot at by whoever you're about to shoot so it is sort of ideal conditions for a live situation. You'll certainly have nerves to fight but if practiced to muscle memory enough I have no doubt that the shot could be made much easier than you would think because your subconscious mind is much better at doing such things in extreme situations than your conscious mind.

jvandy50

Established Member
Premium Member
most nonchalant shot ever lol.

i bet he was clutch in sports too

bird_dog0347

Established Member
Think about it though, at 180 yards you're likely getting the drop and not being directly shot at by whoever you're about to shoot so it is sort of ideal conditions for a live situation. You'll certainly have nerves to fight but if practiced to muscle memory enough I have no doubt that the shot could be made much easier than you would think because your subconscious mind is much better at doing such things in extreme situations than your conscious mind.
While you're not wrong... there's a massive difference between shooting a metal target that I know if I miss not only will it not shoot back, but whatever the bullet DOES strike won't matter and the situation that officer was in. With my AR, red dot, and a car to lean against I could feel very confident that I could land the shot on the first try even in that scenario. I'm not trying to diminish what the officer did, that was a fantastic shot... nor am I trying to brag, but with practice most people on here could do that too.

svtfocus2cobra

Established Member
While you're not wrong... there's a massive difference between shooting a metal target that I know if I miss not only will it not shoot back, but whatever the bullet DOES strike won't matter and the situation that officer was in. With my AR, red dot, and a car to lean against I could feel very confident that I could land the shot on the first try even in that scenario. I'm not trying to diminish what the officer did, that was a fantastic shot... nor am I trying to brag, but with practice most people on here could do that too.

I agree. With a rifle pretty mucy anyone could do that, but that particular officer made it look... as we'd often say in RTT... "sexy" lol.

Users who are viewing this thread