Corporate spying for sick time abuse

rust0r

Established Member
That makes no sense. Why spend money on a PI to see if an employee isnt actually sick? Losing money to see if your losing money?

Some companies look at it as an investment, an employee who consistently calls in sick when he isn't might be doing other things within the company that is costing them money (stealing, time-theft, etc)

Being self employed I never get a sick day, or a vacation.

But when I actually was an employee all the companies I worked for gave you a finite number of sick days. If you did not use them you were paid for them at the end of the year. And if you had not taken ANY you got a further 1/2 weeks bonus. I didn't miss a day in ten years. And I didn't care what bubonic plague I spread.:xpl:

That's a great policy, the 1/2 week bonus is a great incentive as well. People should be appreciative of their sick days, some people don't get any!

Last edited:

txyaloo

Established Member
Being self employed I never get a sick day, or a vacation.

But when I actually was an employee all the companies I worked for gave you a finite number of sick days. If you did not use them you were paid for them at the end of the year. And if you had not taken ANY you got a further 1/2 weeks bonus. I didn't miss a day in ten years. And I didn't care what bubonic plague I spread.:xpl:

And a lot of companies have a use it or lose it policy for sick leave. Those companies can blow me. It's a benefit, and I'm using nearly all of my days if I can.

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
there are different degrees of sick, some days my stomach can be all messed up, I can still do stuff around the house, but for my benefit and everyone else I need my personal bathroom that day lol. Then again some people just abuse things like everything else, there are all different kinds of degrees.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
my pto and sick time mixed together, it doesnt matter what it is they consider both a day off regardless

This.

Take it these are the same places that you still have to "call in" and try to sound sick when you are faking it?

Last edited:

SNCBOOM

Established Member
I just have paid time off. I can pretend to be sick or not :shrug:

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
And a lot of companies have a use it or lose it policy for sick leave. Those companies can blow me. It's a benefit, and I'm using nearly all of my days if I can.

This.

Though how I feel about it is different. I worked retail so if somebody called off I usually filled their shift so more OT and sales for me.

It gets annoying when its consistent though and it ruins one of my plans.

Now using sick days for vacation days was a common practice.

bglf83

Established Member
Some companies look at it as an investment, an employee who consistently calls in sick when he isn't might be doing other things within the company that is costing them money (stealing, time-theft, etc)

They probably only hire a PI when there is a trend with the employee. I can not stand people that call in sick every other week. I wish miy company would do this and fire some people.

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
my pto and sick time mixed together, it doesnt matter what it is they consider both a day off regardless

That's how my company is now. We used to have a pretty much unlimited amount of sick time; if you were sick, stay home. If you were sick three days, get a dr's note. Of course, a few idiots abused it and they went to a new policy: 5 more days PTO for everyone, no more "sick" days. Of course, as soon as they did that, Swine Flu kicked my ass and robbed me of those 5 days. First time I'd actually needed sick time. While it did curb the "I just don't feel like going to work today" attitude of the lazy bums, it also made people come to work with the flu, strep, pink eye, you name it. Lazy bastards gotta ruin it for everyone! :(

SNCBOOM

Established Member
That's how my company is now. We used to have a pretty much unlimited amount of sick time; if you were sick, stay home. If you were sick three days, get a dr's note. Of course, a few idiots abused it and they went to a new policy: 5 more days PTO for everyone, no more "sick" days. Of course, as soon as they did that, Swine Flu kicked my ass and robbed me of those 5 days. First time I'd actually needed sick time. While it did curb the "I just don't feel like going to work today" attitude of the lazy bums, it also made people come to work with the flu, strep, pink eye, you name it. Lazy bastards gotta ruin it for everyone! :(

What happens if you're sick more than 5 days with an acceptable reason? Unpaid leave/time off? If so, that policy seems acceptable. If you need more than 5 days because you're too sick then you don't get paid and if it becomes an issue HR will boot your ass. What more could you want?

BLWN DSG

Vettillac
Established Member

+1 - PTO is PTO. .

Exactly!! My company used to have sick time and vacation time seperate. If you did not use your sick days then you lost them. So it was a disadvantages to those who never really get sick. People started abusing it, saying they were sick but were found on golf courses. That is why they changed the policy. We now have PTO. It is used for vacation, being sick, whatever you want. Hell we can add it onto our standard 80hr paychecks if we want a little extra in that check. I personally like this policy because it is a lot more fair, especially cause I never really get sick outside of sinus infections.

BayouVette

Far Beyond Driven
Established Member
luckily, we can do what we want with our time.. on top of that if i need to work from home its no issue, plus we go drinking and golfing with the boss on company time also..

damn i love my job.

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
What happens if you're sick more than 5 days with an acceptable reason? Unpaid leave/time off? If so, that policy seems acceptable. If you need more than 5 days because you're too sick then you don't get paid and if it becomes an issue HR will boot your ass. What more could you want?

You have to burn through what was your vacation; now it's PTO. If this is how it had been when I started I wouldn't have a problem with it, but because we had such a good deal before that was ruined by lazy bums, it sucks. Especially since they rolled that out at the height of flu season, so people who normally would have stayed home to keep everyone else from being miserable were now coming to work and spreading their nastiness around just to save a few PTO days.

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
This thread makes me sick. Not coming in tomorrow!

*Actually I am sick. My manager has been sick for 3 days and has been out so I HAD to come in today to cover. Hopefully I can take off tomorrow because I can't stand hacking all over the place in an office.*

HEMIHUNTER

Established Member
This is why a lot of companies call them "personal days" only, no more sick days.

Yep. That way if you any business to take care of it's not an issue. You just tell your HR person/boss I'm taking a personal day and do what you want

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
i am sick today and i still came in. I think i got a stomahc bug a girl had here yesterday. i threw up all night yesterday and woke up with abad headache and still came in. Boss was like "why didn't you keep your ass home"? "cause i can still work.......i'm not thin skinned". lol.......

Users who are viewing this thread