Corporate spying for sick time abuse

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
If it is truly abuse I have no issue with it for that.

We have one of those guys and all he does is screw someone else on their day off.

Too much money?
PI for a week here $1500-2500 roughly.

One guy with 96 hours of unexcused sick time when we all know he isn't sick= about $3500
Another guy on OT to cover that guy = $5250

3500+5250= $8750

bones srt-4

yep,still a neon.
Established Member
i am sick today and i still came in. I think i got a stomahc bug a girl had here yesterday. i threw up all night yesterday and woke up with abad headache and still came in. Boss was like "why didn't you keep your ass home"? "cause i can still work.......i'm not thin skinned". lol.......

it's not a matter of if you can work or not. thanks for spreading your sickness to your co-workers, i am sure they appreciate it.

fiveohhhstang

Established Member
it's not a matter of if you can work or not. thanks for spreading your sickness to your co-workers, i am sure they appreciate it.

This.

Then the other people who catch it have to call in sick as opposed to just the first person calling in and not spreading it around.

IH8GM

Not so New SVT Poster
Established Member
at a previous employer i had well over 100 hours sick time and 260+ vacation. Company started doing bad and i figured that they had to pay me for my vacation if i got laid off but they would not pay my sick time. so i started using sick time 2 days a time. eventually got called into hr pretty sure i was getting canned they said they did not believe me to be sick. Told them to prove it and they did (another employee who was pissed that he had to sort of cover) so i basically told them i was sick of work and used it as mental health days. I would gladly sue them if they fired me cause of it. they dropped it and spent out the rest of my sick time in peace.
Maybe it was abuse but i did not take any sick time in 4 years i figured i was due. the company did change there policy and put a max cap on sick time.

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
Hmm, guess I'll stick with my govt job. 407 hours of sick leave at the moment and nobody to tell me how to use it.

Last edited:

rtvickers

Established Member
at a previous employer i had well over 100 hours sick time and 260+ vacation. Company started doing bad and i figured that they had to pay me for my vacation if i got laid off but they would not pay my sick time. so i started using sick time 2 days a time. eventually got called into hr pretty sure i was getting canned they said they did not believe me to be sick. Told them to prove it and they did (another employee who was pissed that he had to sort of cover) so i basically told them i was sick of work and used it as mental health days. I would gladly sue them if they fired me cause of it. they dropped it and spent out the rest of my sick time in peace.
Maybe it was abuse but i did not take any sick time in 4 years i figured i was due. the company did change there policy and put a max cap on sick time.

Thats awesome. I like it when people stand up for themselves.

rtvickers

Established Member
Hmm, guess I'll stick with my govt job. 407 hours of sick leave at the moment and nobody to tell me how to use it.

Right there with ya. I also work for the government. I have 942 hours of sick time. No cap, and no one to tell us how to use it.

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
i am sick today and i still came in. I think i got a stomahc bug a girl had here yesterday. i threw up all night yesterday and woke up with abad headache and still came in. Boss was like "why didn't you keep your ass home"? "cause i can still work.......i'm not thin skinned". lol.......

Thin skinned, no. Inconsiderate, on the other hand...yep

snakecharmer

Established Member
I think this is one of those cases where because some people abuse it, companies may feel the need to take some enforcement action. It's a bit silly if they are checking on everyone, on the other hand if they have people that take a lot of sick leave, I'm not sure I can blame them as people do abuse it.

fiveohhhstang

Established Member
I think this is one of those cases where because some people abuse it, companies may feel the need to take some enforcement action. It's a bit silly if they are checking on everyone, on the other hand if they have people that take a lot of sick leave, I'm not sure I can blame them as people do abuse it.

I do agree with this. If they have someone who is taking sick leave all the time (every other week or something) I can see why they would want to look into having someone check them out. If they are doing this to the majority of their employees as a routine thing, however, I don't think it's warranted.

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
If it is truly abuse I have no issue with it for that.

We have one of those guys and all he does is screw someone else on their day off.

Too much money?
PI for a week here $1500-2500 roughly.

One guy with 96 hours of unexcused sick time when we all know he isn't sick= about $3500
Another guy on OT to cover that guy = $5250

3500+5250= $8750

This...but I am always the guy covering the OT so it's all good. :banana:

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member
I have Anal Glaucoma = I just cant see my ass coming in today

shit, i wish i could call out, 1) cant afford it and 2) we have no back up supervisors to fill in for us if one of us is out.

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
It gets old after a while when you pass 700 hours OT and it is always the same person.

I know...i had 1500 hours OT in each of the last 2 years and 1000 so far this year. Hell, I just finished ten 16 hour days in a row for a guy out on FMLA.

Last edited:

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
Are the PI's Doctors?

For insurance fraud on a supposedly injured person, etc, yes.

For the guy who calls in sick for a runny nose, not so much.

Maybe the companies who have abusers of sick leave should find a better solution for non-productive workers. Or replace them altogether, I'm sure 10-15% of the available workforce in this country would gladly show up in their spot. :shrug:

GodStang

Established Member
We have 4 weeks PTO a year and 3 weeks PTI and they roll over. For what ever reason we do not want to come to work or leave early we take PTO. If we are in the hospital or have surgery we use PTI. It is great. When you are not going to show up you just tell them hey I am leaving early or hey I am not coming in and put it on your time card. You have no hours you do not get paid no big deal.

ssssnake

Established Member
We used to have "vacation time" and "sick time," and they used to be pissy about not taking sick time unless you were sick. Now, they just call it "paid time off." Whatever you do on your time off is your business.

Snake Pliskin

Teen Idol
Established Member
I hate explaining my problem or illness. I rarely call-in but when I do , I simply state that I will not be in the following day. I do not want to explain in detail that I have an inflamed left testicle nor do I want to show it to him LOL . ;-)

Users who are viewing this thread