Coyote vs ls motor's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lt. ZO6

Established Member
The best part is he was talking about the zr1 motor I belive in the 1989 or 1990 zr1 I think it was the lt4 or lt5 I think it was chevys version of the 32 valve dohc motor it made like 385-400hp, but he forget to mention that was like chevys verson of like fords Cobra R, very rare and that corvette cost what $80k in 1989 hahah were talkign about a base model mustang gt that cost $30k they keep forgetting that, were not talking about the 540hp shelby or 450-600hp roush and saleens they will prob have aswell in 2011 and shelby will prob be aluminum block 600hp for 2011 :rockon:

The LT5 ZR1's were manufactured from 1990-1995 (~7000 total sales). Expensive ($58k-$66k MSRP), but fast. The motors were fairly impressive but very heavy also. Btw, Lotus designed the motor, not GM.

9secondko

9secondko
Established Member
The best part is he was talking about the zr1 motor I belive in the 1989 or 1990 zr1 I think it was the lt4 or lt5 I think it was chevys version of the 32 valve dohc motor it made like 385-400hp, but he forget to mention that was like chevys verson of like fords Cobra R, very rare and that corvette cost what $80k in 1989 hahah were talkign about a base model mustang gt that cost $30k they keep forgetting that, were not talking about the 540hp shelby or 450-600hp roush and saleens they will prob have aswell in 2011 and shelby will prob be aluminum block 600hp for 2011 :rockon:

LOL. I remember that vette. I was actually very awed by it. Excellent job. but, yes, rare as a red heffer and massively expensive. It had BETTER be powerful. Sheesh. It must stink to own one of those now if something goes on the engine.

the thing that is so funny is that we are talking about a budget conscious economical 5 liter v8 that just makes gobs of power and will most likely have great aftermarket potential, but it's meant for the base GT. the LS guys don't compare it to the SS Camaro. They trump out the Corvette. it's hilarious. OK, then. Let's look back at the Ford GT. It decimated the Corvette. If Ford was to do it again, the same thing would happen. 2 seater vs two seater. And it's funny how the GM guys want to pretend a Vette being 200+ lighter and far more aero than a GT, not to mention another gear entirely, has nothing to do with gas mileage.

OK, new thread rule:

from now on, we are comparing the Camaro engine to the Coyote engine in the context of the Mustang GT vs the Camaro.

Sheesh. I feel like I have to play kindergarten teacher...

mustangmanjeff

Established Member
The LT5 ZR1's were manufactured from 1990-1995 (~7000 total sales). Expensive ($58k-$66k MSRP), but fast. The motors were fairly impressive but very heavy also. Btw, Lotus designed the motor, not GM.

Exactly, that was a badass car though :beer: I loved them I knew a guy who had 1 i think ive only seen 2 in person in real life besides pics on the web.:rockon:

mustangmanjeff

Established Member
LOL. I remember that vette. I was actually very awed by it. Excellent job. but, yes, rare as a red heffer and massively expensive. It had BETTER be powerful. Sheesh. It must stink to own one of those now if something goes on the engine.

the thing that is so funny is that we are talking about a budget conscious economical 5 liter v8 that just makes gobs of power and will most likely have great aftermarket potential, but it's meant for the base GT. the LS guys don't compare it to the SS Camaro. They trump out the Corvette. it's hilarious. OK, then. Let's look back at the Ford GT. It decimated the Corvette. If Ford was to do it again, the same thing would happen. 2 seater vs two seater. And it's funny how the GM guys want to pretend a Vette being 200+ lighter and far more aero than a GT, not to mention another gear entirely, has nothing to do with gas mileage.

OK, new thread rule:

from now on, we are comparing the Camaro engine to the Coyote engine in the context of the Mustang GT vs the Camaro.

Sheesh. I feel like I have to play kindergarten teacher...

well said :rockon:

Lt. ZO6

Established Member
fwiw... I don't care for the new Camaro (or any Camaro past 1969, actually). The motor is solid though.

As far as the New Mustang plant. No idea. I'm curious to see some dyno's of it. Hopefully, Ford won't ruin the exhaust note produced by the 4.6.

If I were to choose, definitely the Mustang.

Lt. ZO6

Established Member
Exactly, that was a badass car though :beer: I loved them I knew a guy who had 1 i think ive only seen 2 in person in real life besides pics on the web.:rockon:

Try sitting in one. Great performance, but not made for average sized (or larger) males. It's tiny inside.

mustangmanjeff

Established Member
fwiw... I don't care for the new Camaro (or any Camaro past 1969, actually). The motor is solid though.

As far as the New Mustang plant. No idea. I'm curious to see some dyno's of it. Hopefully, Ford won't ruin the exhaust note produced by the 4.6.

If I were to choose, definitely the Mustang.

K i like u now hahaha I agree, I dont like just mustangs, I just dont like any camaro after 1969 either esp new camaros are ugly, I rather have a vette or another ls1 transam :beer:

mustangmanjeff

Established Member
Try sitting in one. Great performance, but not made for average sized (or larger) males. It's tiny inside.

are they that diff inside from a reg 1980's early 1990's lt4 vette? ive been in reg lt4's but never sat in the 2 lt5 zr1's ive seen lol they guys would kill me they were both stock like show cars lol 1 guy was big if i remember it was long time ago but he looked like he was on steroids and wanted to rip my head off if i went near the car lol

Butters916

Established Member
EXACTLY! VERY WELL SAID! X2:beer:

Yeah I got a gt because @ the time I didnt need 500+Hp and i couldnt afford a cobra or insurance now im 24 gonna be 25 had the car for 5 years had a ls1 had a foxbody, Now I want something new or with more power so cobra is perfect or this new 2011 gt, yeah alot of people buy a gt and leave it stock. or will buy the base new v6 , not every 1 wants 400+hp cars I kno alot of people who buy base model v6's and are happy they dont kno the diff between all the models they dont care they like the car, like me I love mustangs, they not only look better and sound better then a camaro and if u want a stang to be as fast if not beat a camaro u can always go and buy urself a cobra,shelby,roush or saleen lol they are just sour because only time camaro was better then the mustang was from 1993-2002,

the fbody 305 was junk compared to the 80's 5.0 fox, and the 70's they both sucked, and the 60's ford had the shelby and they had yenkos. so now 2011 is like 2002-2009 and they are mad because the slow 4.6 liter 315hp 2010 gt kept up and imagine what this 2011 gt is gonna do, I cant wait to read articles in the mags of the 2011 gt vs the 2010-2011 challenger r/t and srt8 and the camaro ss :) :rockon: and if i wanted another ls car it sure wouldnt be any ugly turd camaro, it would be a gto ls2 or g8 gt /or gxp ls3 g8 or another ws6 transam or corvette , slowmaros ftl,

so all the gm fanbois go stomp sand and go to a gm / chevy / camaro forum :)

they get so butt hurt and bitch how ford sucks and ls1's own and we dont no shit, not realizing this is a mustang site ofcourse alot of mustang guys dont care if they dont like it take it to a chevy camaro forum, I dont go on ls1tech or chevyforum and bitch to the ls1 guys how mustangs are better and why I think they are lol , ive owned a ls1 and kno about all the chevys check 1 of my posts back i posted all the diff ls1 cars and dodges hemis and power, I kno what they run stock bolt on and modded we kno they are powerful no 1 said that its just funny when a gt base v8 makes same power as a high end ss camaro, and the shelby high end makes over 100hp more then the camaro now :)

so any gm guys mad

follow the link below to ur forum,

Chevy | Camaro | Firebird Reviews, Performance Parts, Modifications - LS1Tech.com

PEACE

You act like this new 5.0 motor makes this power with no work at all. Did you not realize the new motor doesnt have a power steering pump driven by the acc belt drive? How bout the fact that it comes with factory short tube headers? I also think its kinda funny that Ford copied the LS motors with the front throttle body location, second drive belt for the A/C compressor, log style water pump and thermostat and the Intake manifold looks alot like the GM unit. Nobody really cares about Base model this and Base model that-you just sound like a broke dick everytime you say it. This discussion was started with the question of how the new motor will stack up against the LS motors. Dont get your Pantys in a twist when the GM guys add their input on the subject and can you please stop saying "GM nutswinger, nut swing this and nutswing that" you sound like a retarded hick because you dont realize that most of this very sites posters hang off of FORDS NUTSACK!!!!!

Last edited:

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
I dunno where people are getting the numbers that a ls2 gto weighs 3900 lbs. I put mine on a scale and it was 3650 I had a friend put his automatic on the scale and it was 3770 lbs. LS2 m6 gto weighs the same as an 03 cobra, and a autmatic gto weighs as much as an 03-04 cobra vert.

It's not just peak hp and weight that matters. It's power under the curve we'll wait and see if the 5.0 has enough grunt through the powerband like the 6.0 and 6.2 of the gto and camaro.

The really sad thing is that even GM had an OHC motor that made 400 hp before Ford and that was 20 years ago. :poke:

I dunno where you're getting this 28-30k msrp from not even the 2010 mustang gt is going for that cheap what makes you think the 2011 will?

http://www.automotive.com/2005/12/pontiac/gto/compare/index.html?Vehicle0.Make=Pontiac&Vehicle0.Model=GTO&Vehicle0.Year=2005&Vehicle0.Trim=;_CP;RWD;V8&Vehicle1.Make=Ford&Vehicle1.Model=Mustang&Vehicle1.Year=2004&Vehicle1.Trim=SVT%20Cobra;_CV;RWD;V8&Vehicle2.Make=Ford&Vehicle2.Model=Mustang&Vehicle2.Year=2010&Vehicle2.Trim=GT;_CV;RWD;V8&PageNumber=1&TotalPages=2&Vehicle[3].Make=Chevrolet|16&Vehicle[3].Model=Camaro|382&Vehicle[3].Year=2010&Vehicle[3].Trim=SS;_CP;RWD;V8|848;2;5;15

Scales can be inaccurate, the M6 LS2 GTO is rated at 3725 and the A4 3774. The Cobra is rated at 3665lbs, however, like your results some claim they have weighed their Cobras at 3600lbs or under.

Anyways, they are not that far apart, but, the Cobra has an iron block, forged internals, a blower, intercooler & supporting mods. The GTO has an N/A aluminum block and it weighs more..:nonono:

To each his own, but to me that is the definition of a PIG, I was never impressed with them. Give me an fbody!

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
Oh and BTW, that source is horrible, who the hell paid $39,000 for an 03 Cobra. MSRP was $34K. :lol: :poke:

Boobinspector

Established Member
I dunno where people are getting the numbers that a ls2 gto weighs 3900 lbs. I put mine on a scale and it was 3650 I had a friend put his automatic on the scale and it was 3770 lbs. LS2 m6 gto weighs the same as an 03 cobra, and a autmatic gto weighs as much as an 03-04 cobra vert.

It's not just peak hp and weight that matters. It's power under the curve we'll wait and see if the 5.0 has enough grunt through the powerband like the 6.0 and 6.2 of the gto and camaro.

The really sad thing is that even GM had an OHC motor that made 400 hp before Ford and that was 20 years ago. :poke:

I dunno where you're getting this 28-30k msrp from not even the 2010 mustang gt is going for that cheap what makes you think the 2011 will?

http://www.automotive.com/2005/12/pontiac/gto/compare/index.html?Vehicle0.Make=Pontiac&Vehicle0.Model=GTO&Vehicle0.Year=2005&Vehicle0.Trim=;_CP;RWD;V8&Vehicle1.Make=Ford&Vehicle1.Model=Mustang&Vehicle1.Year=2004&Vehicle1.Trim=SVT%20Cobra;_CV;RWD;V8&Vehicle2.Make=Ford&Vehicle2.Model=Mustang&Vehicle2.Year=2010&Vehicle2.Trim=GT;_CV;RWD;V8&PageNumber=1&TotalPages=2&Vehicle[3].Make=Chevrolet|16&Vehicle[3].Model=Camaro|382&Vehicle[3].Year=2010&Vehicle[3].Trim=SS;_CP;RWD;V8|848;2;5;15

I don't know where you get your info buddy, but ford back in the mid to late 60's had a OHC big block. Ford wanted use it in NASCAR and NASCAR said hell no. Because it was thought that it would create unfair advantage. So many racers went on to using it in drag racing. And guess what happend ford started to tear up the competition on the 1/4 mile with a OHC big block.
So yeah I would say ford has been at it a little longer than Chevy. By the way if you would like to get into the history of it just remember ford did have the first V-8 there buddy.

Formula51

Established Member
Do any of you guys arguing about 2011 GT pricing realize that it has already been leaked?

Let me help you out, there is no such think as a $28k base Mustang. It starts at $29,xxx and the GT Premium starts at $32,xxx.

This thread has turned into nonsense with stupid comments and ignorance all over the place. It had good potential, but it turned into idiots talking about "their buddies car" and who walked on who and shit on someone. Uhh, do you people acutally have professional jobs!?!

Lets revisit this topic several months to a year from now when we see what the new 5.0L does. Hopefully, with some more of the usuals that can carry on an intelligent conversation/debate.

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
msrp was 35.5k in dec 02 with destination.

Not counting destination, it was $34,xxx. The GTO was $32,xxx without the $700 destination. None of the MSRP prices being quoted here include the destination charge.

Stew

Established Member
The Mustang GT manual as I stated is rated at 16/24mpg so far, nothing is official. The auto is said to make 17/25mpg.

2011 Ford Mustang GT at 2010 Detroit Auto Show - KickingTires

As for the Camaro, it gets 16/24mph with a manual and 16/25mpg with the automatic. Yes, it uses MDS, which is usually only good for 1 or 2 mpg. It also is a lot heavier than the Mustang like I stated earlier and is running heavier wheels, brakes, and wider tires. The V8 Mustang gas mileage just isnt that impressive. Wouldn't you expect a less powerful, 300lbs. lighter car with relatively small wheels, skinny tires, and light brakes to do a lot better than "equal" the other cars gas mileage?

As I stated, the gearing slightly favors the Mustang. I only showed 6th gear because that is what will be used for the highway tests and the 1-5 gears should have little effect on gas mileage as you can shift at whatever rpm you want. I am pretty positive the tests are based on speed and you can be in whatever gear your car best performs. Example, the Camaro may run a 45mph segment of a test in 4th gear and the Mustang may run it in 5th. Depending on what the test speeds are, this could slightly favor the Mustang or Camaro. It should be rather insignificant though and helps to explain why both cars get the same city mileage rating.

Highway mileage is essentially measuring engine efficiency at low rpm part throttle. It is where the most fuel efficient powertrain should shine through. In the case of these two, they are equal. I expected the Mustang to do better.

Actually both GTs are rated at 25MPG hwy, And saying MDS only adds 2 MPG, think of it this was, without it it would be what, 22 or 23 MPG highway? And the Camaro is also geared for fuel milage, and no I am not talking about the rear gears, but the 1-6 gears in both transmissions, the GT is geared more aggressively. Another thing, how much HP would a 5.0 LSX engine put out? THe closest is the 5.3 and it made 300 HP. Like I said, both are great engines in current forms, they just take different routes to their power and neither is really superior to the other, thought the Mustang GT as a whole is a better sorted package than the Camaro.

F8L BYT

Established Member
I don't know where you get your info buddy, but ford back in the mid to late 60's had a OHC big block. Ford wanted use it in NASCAR and NASCAR said hell no. Because it was thought that it would create unfair advantage. So many racers went on to using it in drag racing. And guess what happend ford started to tear up the competition on the 1/4 mile with a OHC big block.
So yeah I would say ford has been at it a little longer than Chevy. By the way if you would like to get into the history of it just remember ford did have the first V-8 there buddy.

^^^ This

Do any of you guys arguing about 2011 GT pricing realize that it has already been leaked?

Let me help you out, there is no such think as a $28k base Mustang. It starts at $29,xxx and the GT Premium starts at $32,xxx.

This thread has turned into nonsense with stupid comments and ignorance all over the place. It had good potential, but it turned into idiots talking about "their buddies car" and who walked on who and shit on someone. Uhh, do you people acutally have professional jobs!?!

Lets revisit this topic several months to a year from now when we see what the new 5.0L does. Hopefully, with some more of the usuals that can carry on an intelligent conversation/debate.

Agreed, but your pricing is a little off but pretty much dead on. Here are the actual prices for the 2011 mustangs

2011 Ford Mustang pricing to start from *$22,995? — Autoblog

mebetter

Established Member
Last edited:

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
You act like this new 5.0 motor makes this power with no work at all. Did you not realize the new motor doesnt have a power steering pump driven by the acc belt drive? How bout the fact that it comes with factory short tube headers? I also think its kinda funny that Ford copied the LS motors with the front throttle body location, second drive belt for the A/C compressor, log style water pump and thermostat and the Intake manifold looks alot like the GM unit. Nobody really cares about Base model this and Base model that-you just sound like a broke dick everytime you say it. This discussion was started with the question of how the new motor will stack up against the LS motors. Dont get your Pantys in a twist when the GM guys add their input on the subject and can you please stop saying "GM nutswinger, nut swing this and nutswing that" you sound like a retarded hick because you dont realize that most of this very sites posters hang off of FORDS NUTSACK!!!!!

:lol: Yes because GM was the first company to make an engine with a front mounted throttle body, scond drive belt for the a/c etc. Packaging was a big thing that prevented the 4.6 in the sn95 platforms from having a front mounted throttle body. By your logic every one has been copying Ferarri since they have had front mounted throttle bodies since..........they started making engines really!

Also your statement of nobody cares about base model for base model is complete bull shit!!! If no body gave a shit then why do sooooo many car magazines test stock cars against each other all the time! Motor Trend, Car and Driver, Automobile, Road and Track etc! Every body knows that once you start to mod it all comes down to who has more money in their wallet. I could make an 8 second 3 cylinder Geo Metro with enough money.

Stock for stock the new Coyote will stand up very nicely against the LS3. When you start to mod I will give the advantage to the LS3, BUT we dont know how well this new 5.0 is going to respond to mods either. Some speculate that there is not much left to squeeze out of it but time will tell. Chances are we wont really know till 2-3 years from now.

Last time I checked this was a Ford SVT performance forum. However, this forum seems to have the most Ford owners with the most respect to other brands than any other I've ever been on. YOU are nothing but a groveling, sniveling GM nut hugger with blinders on. Have all your post come from this thread alone?!?!?! GTFO TROLL! This thread had potential until you and a couple other GM nut suckers and a couple narrow minded Ford nut swingers ruined what could have been a good thread with some good information and good tech! But now this thread belongs in smack down.:bored:

Mach Boy

Established Member
:lol: Yes because gm was the first company to make an engine with a front mounted throttle body, scond drive belt for the a/c etc. Packaging was a big thing that prevented the 4.6 in the sn95 platforms from having a front mounted throttle body. By your logic every one has been copying ferarri since they have had front mounted throttle bodies since..........they started making engines really!

Also your statement of nobody cares about base model for base model is complete bull shit!!! If no body gave a shit then why do sooooo many car magazines test stock cars against each other all the time! Motor trend, car and driver, automobile, road and track etc! Every body knows that once you start to mod it all comes down to who has more money in their wallet. I could make an 8 second 3 cylinder geo metro with enough money.

Stock for stock the new coyote will stand up very nicely against the ls3. When you start to mod i will give the advantage to the ls3, but we dont know how well this new 5.0 is going to respond to mods either. Some speculate that there is not much left to squeeze out of it but time will tell. Chances are we wont really know till 2-3 years from now.

Last time i checked this was a ford svt performance forum. However, this forum seems to have the most ford owners with the most respect to other brands than any other i've ever been on. You are nothing but a groveling, sniveling gm nut hugger with blinders on. Have all your post come from this thread alone?!?!?! Gtfo troll! This thread had potential until you and a couple other gm nut suckers and a couple narrow minded ford nut swingers ruined what could have been a good thread with some good information and good tech! But now this thread belongs in smack down.:bored:

+1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread