Crash & Death at the NOLA Wannagofast 1/2 mile today (RIP Jeff Hagaman)

blownstang01

Established Member
I mean this with all due respect, but you cage defenders are loony. They absolutely serve a purpose, no doubt about it, when combined with other safety items such as a fixed racing seat, HANS device, etc. But someone please explain to me how a cage alone would have saved Jeff Hagaman from decapitation, having a hand cut off and his stomach exploded. Remember, you guys are arguing for JUST a cage in this instance, nothing else. And remember just how much more dangerous Jeff's car would have been with that cage the other 75% of the time it ISN'T on a race track.

Jeff knew full good and well about safety. Just look at his CTS-V for proof. And he absolutely did play Russian roulette on Saturday, but that doesn't take away the negligence of the event/promoters for putting such fast cars in such a horrible circumstance. I will say since I wasn't there I can't and won't speak to what drivers were offered to be able to do in terms of track inspection, but that should be a minimal requirement.

I think most people talking about a cage are also referring to all requisite safety equipment. Gotta love the internet, start off with "all due respect" and then follow it up with name calling. Guess what, people can have a different opinion than yours and not be "loony"

My94GT

Established Member
I mean this with all due respect, but you cage defenders are loony. They absolutely serve a purpose, no doubt about it, when combined with other safety items such as a fixed racing seat, HANS device, etc. But someone please explain to me how a cage alone would have saved Jeff Hagaman from decapitation, having a hand cut off and his stomach exploded. Remember, you guys are arguing for JUST a cage in this instance, nothing else. And remember just how much more dangerous Jeff's car would have been with that cage the other 75% of the time it ISN'T on a race track.

Jeff knew full good and well about safety. Just look at his CTS-V for proof. And he absolutely did play Russian roulette on Saturday, but that doesn't take away the negligence of the event/promoters for putting such fast cars in such a horrible circumstance. I will say since I wasn't there I can't and won't speak to what drivers were offered to be able to do in terms of track inspection, but that should be a minimal requirement.
In my first post I indicated I feel it’s a drivers responsibility to mitigate all means of safety. Word tracking in my second post referenced a cage but yes more goes into it then just that.

75% of the time isn’t worth much when one dies so yea my personal belief is that when you build a car to be utilized at such high speeds you equally equip with safety equipment and along the way the vehicle becomes less and less of a street car.

To each their own though. I definitely agree the drivers should be given the opportunity to either walk the track or do a sighting lap just to get a feel for the surface.

I also understand that if the rules change and dictate more safety equipment, many people will loose interest in the events as many simply don’t want to vest into that equipment for many reasons right or wrong

Kiohtee

Established Member
I think most people talking about a cage are also referring to all requisite safety equipment. Gotta love the internet, start off with "all due respect" and then follow it up with name calling. Guess what, people can have a different opinion than yours and not be "loony"

Go back and read this thread again. There are several posts eluding to just a cage. But regardless, this was literally about the only car Jeff owned that wasn't full caged and spec'd out for this type of racing. His Cobras, CTS-V, and even his Corvettes I believe had full cages. This was a showpiece 'look what I can do' type car. And unfortunately it bit him.

Also, if the being called the word loony offends/upsets you, the internet and racing may not be for you. That wasn't even an insult or something to get riled up about.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
I feel bad for his wife and kids having to be there watching him die like that.

As far as where the cage or lack of came from @Brutal Metal I have no idea. As I stated in my post that was what was being pushed around on another forum that you frequent also and it was possible I misread the post.

That's horrible. Hopefully they, at least the kids, were kept far away from the crash scene.

earico

It's 4:20 somewhere...
Established Member
I finally have time to write how I feel about this.

First of all my heart goes out to Jeff's family. I can't even begin to imagine the pain and void they are feeling. My family has seen me run at the half mile at 185 mph. It must have been horrifying for his family to witness that crash. We all know, family included, that there is risk when you race. We just never expect the risk to become a reality. May he rest in peace.

After the crash, on the WGF Facebook page they posted that the event was cancelled for the weekend. If you read thru the comments on that post you will find that Blake, the owner of WGF, knew about the bumpy area at the end of the 1/2 mile finish line. He actually warned everyone about it at the driver's meeting. There are also pics posted of this bumpy area and it's really bad. Like Treynor said in the normal configuration you would already be slowing down before this area to make upcoming turn on the road course. The way WGF set this up these bumps were at the beginning of the braking zone for cars travelling 200+. That's just ****ing stupid! We all know what happens when the rear end of a car get's light under hard braking. Throw in 5" bumps that bottom out a cars suspension travel and it's a disaster. WGF also made the decision to only run 200+ mph cars as solo runs. This was a good decision but it also shows you they had concerns. Bottom line is a 1/2 mile event should have never been run at this facility.

About 4 years ago I posted on the GTR forum that we needed more safety at these events. I had just participated at WGF Horseshoe Bay and the finish line was where the spectators were positioned. Afterwards, someone in a Lambo had just spun out at 200+ at a different event just before the finish line. We were discussing this spin out on the forum and it got me thinking about what if that had been Horseshoe Bay and he spun out into the spectators at the end? That's when I voiced my concerns and I suggested that WGF, No Fly Zone, Shift S3ctor and others form a committee together. They could setup minimum shutdown distances, safety equipment requirements and etc. The speeds of these cars was getting faster and faster. It was just a matter of time before someone died. Pretty much everyone in that thread balked at my suggestion for more safety.

Jeff's car didn't have a cage. Obviously with a 2000+ hp GTR costs is not an issue. However as others have commented the decision to put a real cage in a car officially retires that car from street duty. A full cage requires you to wear a helmet and fully strap in every time you drive or ride in the car. I have no doubt a full cage would've probably saved his life. To not install a cage was his choice and unfortunately he paid that hefty price.

jeffh81

Here’s KingBlack
Established Member
If you got the money for car builds like these then you can afford a street car and a race car. Safety should never be optional especially when you have family.

Kiohtee

Established Member
Guys, money wasn't the concern here. You certainly can't speak ill of Jeff and his decision(s) if you don't even know him and the fact that literally every other car he competed with had a full cage.

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
In my first post I indicated I feel it’s a drivers responsibility to mitigate all means of safety. Word tracking in my second post referenced a cage but yes more goes into it then just that.

75% of the time isn’t worth much when one dies so yea my personal belief is that when you build a car to be utilized at such high speeds you equally equip with safety equipment and along the way the vehicle becomes less and less of a street car.

To each their own though. I definitely agree the drivers should be given the opportunity to either walk the track or do a sighting lap just to get a feel for the surface.

I also understand that if the rules change and dictate more safety equipment, many people will loose interest in the events as many simply don’t want to vest into that equipment for many reasons right or wrong
...and this is why street racing takes place. Tracks are available to race with as much safety and emergency care as possible afforded the racers and audience. Despite this, people that do not meet track requirements meet on the street.

Sent from my [trashcan S5] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

blk02edge

Established Member
If you got the money for car builds like these then you can afford a street car and a race car. Safety should never be optional especially when you have family.
Exactly, guess I just do not understand the 1500+ horsepower street car idea other than do it cuz I can... The sport is infinitely more fun with purpose built cars and DD's

Kiohtee

Established Member
Exactly, guess I just do not understand the 1500+ horsepower street car idea other than do it cuz I can... The sport is infinitely more fun with purpose built cars and DD's

You think a guy with a 2,000HP GT-R and 1,700+HP CTS-V didn't have at least one other car he could daily? You guys are losing touch with our new reality and what makes this hobby fun. Especially for wealthy people.

blownstang01

Established Member
I finally have time to write how I feel about this.

First of all my heart goes out to Jeff's family. I can't even begin to imagine the pain and void they are feeling. My family has seen me run at the half mile at 185 mph. It must have been horrifying for his family to witness that crash. We all know, family included, that there is risk when you race. We just never expect the risk to become a reality. May he rest in peace.

After the crash, on the WGF Facebook page they posted that the event was cancelled for the weekend. If you read thru the comments on that post you will find that Blake, the owner of WGF, knew about the bumpy area at the end of the 1/2 mile finish line. He actually warned everyone about it at the driver's meeting. There are also pics posted of this bumpy area and it's really bad. Like Treynor said in the normal configuration you would already be slowing down before this area to make upcoming turn on the road course. The way WGF set this up these bumps were at the beginning of the braking zone for cars travelling 200+. That's just ****ing stupid! We all know what happens when the rear end of a car get's light under hard braking. Throw in 5" bumps that bottom out a cars suspension travel and it's a disaster. WGF also made the decision to only run 200+ mph cars as solo runs. This was a good decision but it also shows you they had concerns. Bottom line is a 1/2 mile event should have never been run at this facility.

About 4 years ago I posted on the GTR forum that we needed more safety at these events. I had just participated at WGF Horseshoe Bay and the finish line was where the spectators were positioned. Afterwards, someone in a Lambo had just spun out at 200+ at a different event just before the finish line. We were discussing this spin out on the forum and it got me thinking about what if that had been Horseshoe Bay and he spun out into the spectators at the end? That's when I voiced my concerns and I suggested that WGF, No Fly Zone, Shift S3ctor and others form a committee together. They could setup minimum shutdown distances, safety equipment requirements and etc. The speeds of these cars was getting faster and faster. It was just a matter of time before someone died. Pretty much everyone in that thread balked at my suggestion for more safety.

Jeff's car didn't have a cage. Obviously with a 2000+ hp GTR costs is not an issue. However as others have commented the decision to put a real cage in a car officially retires that car from street duty. A full cage requires you to wear a helmet and fully strap in every time you drive or ride in the car. I have no doubt a full cage would've probably saved his life. To not install a cage was his choice and unfortunately he paid that hefty price.

Great post. This is a real catch 22 in regards to safety with these cars that are also street driven. There was a guy a while back killed when he was side-swiped on the street and hit his head on his funny car halo of his 25.5 cage without a helmet on.

Zemedici

Established Member
You think a guy with a 2,000HP GT-R and 1,700+HP CTS-V didn't have at least one other car he could daily? You guys are losing touch with our new reality and what makes this hobby fun. Especially for wealthy people.

This....the car was meant to be a 'street car'

Rollcage = 'not street car'

Its a risk he took, and lost.

However, the bumps are a completely avoidable danger (that the staff should have remedied ie with flattening, or finding another venue, as this place seemed doomed from the start)

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
The video that I saw off the crash was all cut up, but there just didn't seem to be near enough of a run out based on what I saw for me to feel comfortable going those speeds. IMO you need enough to allow you to slow down mechanically in case the chute fails. But I am not familiar with where they were running at, and I am not into drag racing in any case.

jeffh81

Here’s KingBlack
Established Member
Why not run at the salt flats instead of sketchy areas like this. They got the money to afford the cars so why not rent out areas like boneville

blk02edge

Established Member
I think you missed my point. For me 1500+ horsepower is pretty useless 9.99x out of 10. Considering he clearly had the money why not just build a car that does the same thing safely. You cant use that much power on the street.. Its entirely pointless and makes our community look bad. I think of it the same way as going into a police station with an AR cuz its your right to do so. Doesnt mean you should

Zemedici

Established Member
I think you missed my point. For me 1500+ horsepower is pretty useless 9.99x out of 10. Considering he clearly had the money why not just build a car that does the same thing safely. You cant use that much power on the street.. Its entirely pointless and makes our community look bad. I think of it the same way as going into a police station with an AR cuz its your right to do so. Doesnt mean you should

Some of you guys are living in ancient times......Tx2k, SCT (that's THIS week in Atlanta) all have 1000-1500-1800hp cars running on the street....this isn't 1987 anymore. You can make fast shit hook on the street.

Here's a 1900whp Lamborghini from YEARS ago in Atlanta.....this is on the street....

You guys need to come to Atlanta. For real.

blk02edge

Established Member
Some of you guys are living in ancient times......Tx2k, SCT (that's THIS week in Atlanta) all have 1000-1500-1800hp cars running on the street....this isn't 1987 anymore. You can make fast shit hook on the street.

Here's a 1900whp Lamborghini from YEARS ago in Atlanta.....this is on the street....

You guys need to come to Atlanta. For real.

Nice 150mph flyby of that car on the street..

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
I feel bad for his wife and kids having to be there watching him die like that.

I get so tired of hearing people say “oh but so and so died doing what they love” guess in these instances ignorant people can’t fathom someone loving their family or more importantly family and friends loving them.

People say "die doing what you love" not as ignorance but as the morbid SOBs we are. We are well aware that any day, any time, anyone one of us will die and we will all die eventually.

It sucks that a day intended for fun an excitement ended in terror and misery but it can always be worse. Far more people will get to enjoy finding out their father has cancer, spending two years trying to treat it, spending every penny they have. All the financial and emotional stress, hoping he gets better. Soon they will lose hope as they see him begin to lose weight, his memory becomes so foggy he doesn't recognize you anymore. He'll be in constant pain. You'll then have to make all sorts of Hospice arrangements and sign papers and make preparations... then when you least expect it, he'll be choking to death in lung fluid, gasping to breath, he'll shit himself and then die. You then call Hospice and the funeral home. Hospice will arrive to collect medication and verify the death. The funeral home will bag him up. Whatever other mess is left on the couch or bed, you'll get to clean up.

I think it's much better to remember your father having gone out in blaze of glory, riding triumphantly across the rainbow bridge into the gates of Valhalla top a 2,000hp screaming GT-R.

It's not about having the money for safety equipment. These guys are dropping a half million on these cars and the sport. Its about the adrenaline rush and one-upping someone else. If they don't do it on the track, they'll do it in "Mexico".

This is like wondering why a guy buys a Hayabusa and then proceeds to blast down the interstate in shorts and a t-shirt. Or the kids int he ghetto with the dirt-bikes popping wheelies.

Users who are viewing this thread