Current New Vehicle Market

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
I'll go with plan A. When I could buy my $69k msrp Platinum for a little over $60k and get 0% financing as opposed to plan B where it is now a $76k msrp and I pay $76k and whatever rate I can get.
But since plan A currently a reality, instead of getting a new truck every 2-3 years I'll hold on to it until I need a new truck.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I'll go with plan A. When I could buy my $69k msrp Platinum for a little over $60k and get 0% financing as opposed to plan B where it is now a $76k msrp and I pay $76k and whatever rate I can get.
But since plan A currently a reality, instead of getting a new truck every 2-3 years I'll hold on to it until I need a new truck.

I like how you through a whole lot of other variables in there. LOL

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
What other variables did he toss in? This is the kind of stuff costumers look at and it’s going to impact sales.

You should be taking notes rather than laughing at him…

Any thing added, other than what I labeled as A and B....was an addition and wasn't an option.

"a.) have to search for days, nationwide, to find the vehicle you're looking for.

or

b.) order what you want from a dealer you trust, and get it in 4-5 weeks?"

To further prove the point, he still could've purchased a 2022 F-150 Platinum for the same discount.

It's always enjoyable when I read people's posts bitching about pricing, etc...yet I never get a request from them asking for a price.

So yes, if he's wanting a new truck, but whatever dealer he is working with or worked with is trying to price gouge him and he's unwilling or unwanting to shop around, I am laughing.

Tezz500

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
Established Member
Any thing added, other than what I labeled as A and B....was an addition and wasn't an option.

"a.) have to search for days, nationwide, to find the vehicle you're looking for.

or

To further prove the point, he still could've purchased a 2022 F-150 Platinum for the same discount.

It's always enjoyable when I read people's posts bitching about pricing, etc...yet I never get a request from them asking for a price.

So yes, if he's wanting a new truck, but whatever dealer he is working with or worked with is trying to price gouge him and he's unwilling or unwanting to shop around, I am laughing.

This goes to my original point. Most dealerships make ford look bad…

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
This goes to my original point. Most dealerships make ford look bad…

Ford has franchise agreements with dealers that they have to do business together.

Consumers don't have agreements with dealers stating they have to do business together.

Find another dealer or quit complaining.

Our society has gotten so soft.

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia

or

Nick, I've never had to search nationwide or for days. It's an F-150, not a GT3.

And you have gotten a price request from me. Admittedly, I took too long to pull the trigger on the Raptor because I wanted to see how my year closed out.

And I would happily buy a vehicle from you in the future. I'm just not in the market right now. You're good guy and the type of person I like to do business with.

But apples to apples, 2019 to 2022, a comparable truck is substantially more today than it was 3 years ago when you factor in typical incentives.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Nick, I've never had to search nationwide or for days. It's an F-150, not a GT3.

And you have gotten a price request from me. Admittedly, I took too long to pull the trigger on the Raptor because I wanted to see how my year closed out.

And I would happily buy a vehicle from you in the future. I'm just not in the market right now. You're good guy and the type of person I like to do business with.

But apples to apples, 2019 to 2022, a comparable truck is substantially more today than it was 3 years ago when you factor in typical incentives.

I wasn't saying you specifically hadn't asked for a price, I was just talking in general. I hope that didn't annoy you.

It is definitely more expensive right now. But, it's because of the inability to actually get the vehicles built and delivered. If you could order a vehicle and have it in 4-5 weeks, the prices will come down and will equalize.

SHOdown220

Established Member
Very much prefer A, having done both.

I enjoy a good haggle (sure, im probably in the minority), spending half the day at the dealer, and driving away in a shiny new machine.

Plus, regarding B--the wait is not 4-5 weeks--as you know. Not even a little close.
Until they can Amazon prime a new car to my house in 2 days or less, I prefer option a. I’m an inpatient man I’ll admit, once I decide I want to buy something I want it as soon as possible. Plus I enjoy walking the lot and actually seeing and feeling the different models/trims/options. If I have to order something that far out I’ve most likely lost interest and moved on before it ever shows up.

I’ll put it this way, if one dealer said “I’ll order your car, it’ll be here in 4-5 weeks exactly as you want it” vs another dealer said I’ll sell you your car today I would choose that dealer every time, even if it meant driving further to get there.

On a side note, and maybe I missed it, how would this plan NOT result in less cars sold? Or is that the point? Less cars sold but limited rebates vs full inventories? We live in a world of instant gratification.

I feel like tons of sales are impulse buys, I know ours sales department trades people out of their car who came in for service every single day.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Until they can Amazon prime a new car to my house in 2 days or less, I prefer option a. I’m an inpatient man I’ll admit, once I decide I want to buy something I want it as soon as possible. Plus I enjoy walking the lot and actually seeing and feeling the different models/trims/options. If I have to order something that far out I’ve most likely lost interest and moved on before it ever shows up.

I’ll put it this way, if one dealer said “I’ll order your car, it’ll be here in 4-5 weeks exactly as you want it” vs another dealer said I’ll sell you your car today I would choose that dealer every time, even if it meant driving further to get there.

On a side note, and maybe I missed it, how would this plan NOT result in less cars sold? Or is that the point? Less cars sold but limited rebates vs full inventories? We live in a world of instant gratification.

I feel like tons of sales are impulse buys, I know ours sales department trades people out of their car who came in for service every single day.

Sooo many good points made here.

There are many reasons why, historically, car lots have been FULL of cars.

--See options of different colors in "real life" vs the crappy illustrations on online builders
--Sit in and feel the difference in trim levels
--Sit in and feel the difference in powertrain options if availble
--Impulse buys!! I agree, tons of new car sales are actually "closed" or "sold" by the salesperson in real time

Going to an order-only model is not going to be a great choice long term IMO.

5.0 Hatch

Established Member
I personally don't know of a single person that ordered a vehicle vs buying off the lot. The only new car I ever bought was transferred from another dealer the very next day since the dealer I was buying from had exactly what I wanted just in the wrong color. No 4-6 week wait.

What's the ratio of sales by order vs straight off the lot? During normal times of course.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I personally don't know of a single person that ordered a vehicle vs buying off the lot. The only new car I ever bought was transferred from another dealer the very next day since the dealer I was buying from had exactly what I wanted just in the wrong color. No 4-6 week wait.

What's the ratio of sales by order vs straight off the lot? During normal times of course.
There are a lot of people that do order vehicles. That way you get exactly what you want. Most people that order new vehicles are repeat customers.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member

I bought my wife's new SUV and did the trade and paperwork without ever setting foot in the dealership. Many people did that the last 2 years and it is a nice way to buy if you know what you want. Lets face it, a lot of people do not like face to face dickering and the younger people really don't like it.

Interesting read.

Tezz500

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
Established Member
Ford has franchise agreements with dealers that they have to do business together.

Consumers don't have agreements with dealers stating they have to do business together.

Find another dealer or quit complaining.

Our society has gotten so soft.

Ok listen.. I’ve been super chill about this and just trying to have a reasonable discussion. I’m not complaining. You don’t have to be a ****in dick.

I’m trying to tell you that most people aren’t like us. We’re car people. They don’t get the nuances behind the relationships with dealers. They see the “Ford” logo and think anything that happens there is related to the entire brand.

If you’re to ****ing dense to realize that then so be it.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
There are a lot of people that do order vehicles. That way you get exactly what you want. Most people that order new vehicles are repeat customers.

I'll have to disagree, Brady, at least from my own experience and after talking to a seasoned salesman that we've bought from for 15+ years. The majority of people that I know that re-order the same manufacturer still want to see the cars on the lot. And many go with a different model, so they want to check out that new model before buying. They have a basic list of what they want as far as color, packages, options, etc. And they browse until they find something close enough. And then they want to test drive the car. And then they want to buy it and drive it home. I also believe that a majority of customers would prefer to buy off the lot if the car/cars they're looking at are at least close to what they'd order and have to wait 4-5 weeks for.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I'll have to disagree, Brady, at least from my own experience and after talking to a seasoned salesman that we've bought from for 15+ years. The majority of people that I know that re-order the same manufacturer still want to see the cars on the lot. And many go with a different model, so they want to check out that new model before buying. They have a basic list of what they want as far as color, packages, options, etc. And they browse until they find something close enough. And then they want to test drive the car. And then they want to buy it and drive it home. I also believe that a majority of customers would prefer to buy off the lot if the car/cars they're looking at are at least close to what they'd order and have to wait 4-5 weeks for.
I disagree. A lot of people still go to a dealer, look at the car, drive the car, check out options, ect. If it doesn't have everything they want and a dealer can't find one from another dealer, they order.

And yes, I use to sell cars at my local Ford dealership. :)

Edit: And yes majority of the people do buy off the lot. Like I mentioned, generally around my area if someone trades in their vehicle every few years they usually order one. This can be very different depending on location.

Dusten

Established Member
Ummm…

93a4c53181796eb52bd880dbf343c99b.jpg

Misinformation?

So you're telling a Ford dealer what ford's going to do to ford dealers when he tells you they can't do that?

I personally like option b because I've never found a car local that is optioned as I want. My dealer almost always does a dealer trade to get the rig.

Last edited:

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Ok listen.. I’ve been super chill about this and just trying to have a reasonable discussion. I’m not complaining. You don’t have to be a ****in dick.

I’m trying to tell you that most people aren’t like us. We’re car people. They don’t get the nuances behind the relationships with dealers. They see the “Ford” logo and think anything that happens there is related to the entire brand.

If you’re to ****ing dense to realize that then so be it.

That was a general statement, not directed at you. But hey, take it how you want.

Most people may not be like us...but the people who drive from dealer to dealer, or call multiple dealers, understand that each dealer is its own company. If they thought they all fell under the Blue Oval and everything was the same, I would never see a customer cross shopping me with another Ford store, so your though process is flawed.

It would be "too"...but no, I'm not too dense to realize that. I don't think people look at Ford Motor Company and all their dealers as a singular body. If they did, they would be the dense ones.

So you're telling a Ford dealer what ford's going to do to ford dealers when he tells you they can't do that?

Yep. lol

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
I think when times "normalize" production wise most will be willing to order when there's not to many incentives and now you have to watch the option list. Gone are the days of 10k off before you walk in the dealer and a loaded XLT Expedition was high 40's after 10k off. Now they are in the high 60's MSRP and there's no incentives.

So, if you can order what you want and not pay for things you don't want then I think that will pick up steam when the consumer can save 4-5k easy and get exactly what they want with a little compromise.

Users who are viewing this thread