Custom Paint Job

Shinigami23

Established Member
Does anyone on here have custom paint jobs? Looking particularly for any form of black i.e. solid black, pearl black, metallic black. Or maybe even a black that you painted your car from another manufacturer. Any help or pictures would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

65x2

Resident Hippie
Established Member
Define custom? Cause black with pearl or metallics doesn't really fall under custom.

UH and PXR are two off the top of my head.

UH being Ford Tuxedo Black

PXR being Chrysler... No idea what its called.

Shinigami23

Established Member
Well when I say "custom" I mean a color (rather black or any other) that is not a stock Ford Color on a 99-04 Mustang. I mean do all plain blacks match from manufacturer to manufacturer? I'm sure there is some difference. I'm repainting my car and I want to go with black, but I am looking for "the best looking black" that is a stock color from the manufacturer. So I guess that's not really custom lol, but I want something a little different I guess. So any ideas or suggestions would be great.

Define custom? Cause black with pearl or metallics doesn't really fall under custom.

UH and PXR are two off the top of my head.

UH being Ford Tuxedo Black

PXR being Chrysler... No idea what its called.

Machdup1

Established Member
Well when I say "custom" I mean a color (rather black or any other) that is not a stock Ford Color on a 99-04 Mustang. I mean do all plain blacks match from manufacturer to manufacturer? I'm sure there is some difference. I'm repainting my car and I want to go with black, but I am looking for "the best looking black" that is a stock color from the manufacturer. So I guess that's not really custom lol, but I want something a little different I guess. So any ideas or suggestions would be great.

Check out House of Kolor and get your custom paint on.

http://www.houseofkolor.com/kolors/#next

65x2

Resident Hippie
Established Member
No not all blacks are the same. 8555 is one of the few if in remembering correctly that is just black. Most have yellow, red, white, sometimes blue in them. Each manufacturer is unique.

Honda has a nighthawk black, black with blue pearl. NH731P.

Your best bet is either stop by dealerships to look at black cars you like. Get the paint code then or goto a jobber and look through the chip books to find something you like.

Lexus has a gorgeous color, I'd have to search for the paint code. But in the shop it looks black but out in the sun the green pearl pops and it comes off as a crazy dark forest green. Really nice, I've only seen it twice.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Lol

Challenger.jpg

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
I have a blackish paint on my 1969 Firebird. It's an old GM paint color. I don't know the name of it however. It's a black base with a green and purple pearl in it. At night and low light levels it appears black. In moderate light it appears greenish and in direct sunlight it has a blue tint.

0CECA9C5-A7E0-4382-A6B7-62885D01480E_zpsgtjuek2a.jpg

B70228AA-6FB0-44DD-BCBF-DF17E120C2CB_zpsgfyuxjzd.jpg

20150422_111524_zpsrpmryahk.jpg

Shinigami23

Established Member
Looks good

I have a blackish paint on my 1969 Firebird. It's an old GM paint color. I don't know the name of it however. It's a black base with a green and purple pearl in it. At night and low light levels it appears black. In moderate light it appears greenish and in direct sunlight it has a blue tint.

Mr.Bolt-on

Jimmy Rustler
Established Member
With black it's not really about the color. With any "custom" paint job it's about how well the body was prepared so all the panels are smooth enough to sand and buff for a mirror finish. That smooth as glass finish you are looking for like all custom paint jobs is done with 1500 to 3000 grit sandpaper. Then buffed with buffing pads for each stage of the buffing process. This produces the best paint finishes in the world.

Shinigami23

Established Member
Noted. My car is in the body shop right now getting everything taken off and sanded down getting prepped for paint. I was just thinking about going with a different black like Nero Noctis from Lamborghini or Starlight Black from Lexus....I'm no expert with paint and body work and like I said the biggest thing for me is that I want something that is different (in a good way) from what everyone else out there has.

With black it's not really about the color. With any "custom" paint job it's about how well the body was prepared so all the panels are smooth enough to sand and buff for a mirror finish. That smooth as glass finish you are looking for like all custom paint jobs is done with 1500 to 3000 grit sandpaper. Then buffed with buffing pads for each stage of the buffing process. This produces the best paint finishes in the world.

Shinigami23

Established Member
Ok so I decided to go with the House of Kolor Jet Black, but is there a particular clear coat that I should use? I know nothing about how to paint a car so please any relevant advice would be good. I was looking at the House of Kolor USCO1 Clear but not sure if this is the correct clear to get the deepest black I can get. Thanks for any advice.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
In general unless you're going after some type of look and your painter is skilled in that area, you should stick with the clear recommended with the paint you choose. house of kolor should have a clear or their own, or a recommendation on what to use if not. Go with that.

Shinigami23

Established Member
In general unless you're going after some type of look and your painter is skilled in that area, you should stick with the clear recommended with the paint you choose. house of kolor should have a clear or their own, or a recommendation on what to use if not. Go with that.

That's what I figured, I just wanted to make sure. Thanks

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member

that's what i was going to suggest. adding a pearl to the clear coat to give it some color. you can tint it just about any color you want.
*and that bird looks fantastic :beer:

another option is a satin clear. to give it a satin black look. i had that on my old F150. it was "eggshell" black. looked sick but was a pain. any little scratch and youre doomed as you cant buff it out. you can only repaint.

Users who are viewing this thread