Votes: 31 41.9%
  • Nitto NT-05

Votes: 43 58.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

boostedoval

Established Member
nitto 555 all the way. Def one of the best street/DD tire for the money. They last for a good while and they hook decently for a street tire...they hook all of 2nd gear on my low 11 sec cobra.

xxtorinoxx

Established Member
So 555r extreme II's are basically the drag radial with stiffer side walls? I'm looking for something super sticky. Sick of no traction with my cheapo sumitomo cheapos. I was gonna get Nitto drag radials again (haven't had a set in years) but if 555r extreme II is better I'll get those? I don't go to the track but it's not really a daily driver, just a fun toy I also take to work once in a while.

i liked the extrememe II and it hooked great. thats the tire i got the 1.68 60' on. They also performed well cornering at high speeds. They just didn't last very long. Terrible in the rain but that wasn't a surprise.

2001gunmetalgt

Established Member
What about a good front 2 tires? I have 2 nitto 315 drags out back but my two front tires are ready to go. I want a decent priced tire like 180 or below, good in the rain, and good in the turns. I see the BF Goodrich KDW t/a geforce are about 170 are they any good for a front pair?

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
20k miles? wow. I bought my car brand new and by 5k miles they were smooth as butter. No burn outs either, just got eaten alive from hard driving. The scrubbing sound you hear as you take off from traffic lights and such.

I'd also check your alignment.. that could be causing your tires to go south so fast.. (happened to mine that way)...

mitrls10

"Torqued Motorsports"
Established Member
The best tires I've ever had on the cobra is Potenza Re760 sports. 275/40/17. Had a set of sumitumos the same size and had a few 32s left on them and it spun through 4th and barked through 6th now these will only spin in 1st when layed into it only.. 340 treadwear A traction and A temperature so they are a medium-soft rubber compound.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
I'd also check your alignment.. that could be causing your tires to go south so fast.. (happened to mine that way)...

Yeah I'm going to get that checked as my Nittos would only last between 1k and 3k miles on the street. Granted it was all very spirited driving having lots of fun but when I see people posting things like 10k miles etc. on nittos I figure maybe mine came from the factory completely misaligned? I only have 26k miles now and my front tires are totally done too. Wouldn't surprise me if its just my driving though :)

MalcolmV8

Established Member
The best tires I've ever had on the cobra is Potenza Re760 sports. 275/40/17. Had a set of sumitumos the same size and had a few 32s left on them and it spun through 4th and barked through 6th now these will only spin in 1st when layed into it only.. 340 treadwear A traction and A temperature so they are a medium-soft rubber compound.

When you say the best tires you've ever had what else did you have? Have you ever had Nittos (street or drag)? I ask because comparing to sumitomos anything will seem better. In my experience anyways. My sumis would bark and chirp shifting 3rd to 4th. 1st through 3rd gear were useless on them and I only dyno'd 486 to the rear tires at the time.

mmustangsrus

boost makes daddy happy
Established Member
NT-555's is whats on mine when they wear out i want to try the NT-05`s

NT-05s here. They hook like the Nitto DR but handle rain like performance tire. Best of both worlds.
awesome now hearing this is great to hear :-D

mitrls10

"Torqued Motorsports"
Established Member
Had sumitumos, yokohamas, Potenza RE760 Sports, Potenza RE62A Sports, Nittos, Firehawk Wide Oval GT, BFG, Indy 500's, all of these between my Camaro, Cobra, and small block S-10 and the Potenza RE760 Sports have the best traction and wet weather driving of all the 1's I've ever used.

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
Where did you hear this?
See below.
They already stopped making the 265/35/18 size that both Kevin and I run on the front of our Cobras. I was told by Goodyear they are possibly phasing out the GSD3 model tire all together. I just had to replace my worn GSD3s (been on the car for 3 years). I ended up with Pilot Sports. They are OK, but run more narrow than the same size GSD3 tires I had been running.

Not happy! :cryying:

Plus, the GSD3 just looks killer.

2ed3041.jpg

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Had sumitumos, yokohamas, Potenza RE760 Sports, Potenza RE62A Sports, Nittos, Firehawk Wide Oval GT, BFG, Indy 500's, all of these between my Camaro, Cobra, and small block S-10 and the Potenza RE760 Sports have the best traction and wet weather driving of all the 1's I've ever used.

I assume when you say Nittos you mean street tire and not the drag radial? I'm looking for the stickiest tire I can afford, sorry for so many questions. Just trying to make the right decision on tire.

Thanks
Malcolm

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
I assume when you say Nittos you mean street tire and not the drag radial? I'm looking for the stickiest tire I can afford, sorry for so many questions. Just trying to make the right decision on tire.

Thanks
Malcolm

Look at the Toyo TQ. I have the 345/40/17 on the back of my car and it's a great tire..... cheap and great traction.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
i daily drive rear 17" 315 nitto 555r's (thats the dr) and 17" 275 bfg's up front. no issues, even in downpours. the rears are on 10.5" rims

Brutal Metal

Established Member
Never been a Big Fan of Goodyear, NITTO 555's are good but they wear out in the rear SO FAST!! I only get 7-8K with no burnouts!

doczg

Established Member
I recently replaced the falken 512's my car came with to Yokahama S-Drives and i couldnt be happier. I already have about 5k on them and they still have tons of tread left and are still really quiet. They have way more traction than the 512's and were only $160 a piece from discount tire. They are a relatively new tire so there isnt too much info out yet but im willing to bet people will talk about them more in the future.

1hot281

Established Member
Nitto Invo is an awesome tire... running 255/35 18 front and 265/35 18 rears...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread