Definition of Street Car?

94Gt5.0

Allgo5oh
Established Member
Well I guess my "street car" isnt a street car according to the majority of ya :lol:

My no a/c, power steering-less, wiper-less, non-dot tired car makes 2-3hr trips just fine, and gets used alot more often than some more "street friendly" cars. Imo, a street car is one that is driven on the street, end of story. Technically alot of mods could be described as "not street legal", thus many cars wouldnt be legal street cars. Theres guys up here driving 8(not as often),9, and 10 second cars to our local hangout on fridays and saturdays, and I wouldnt say one of em isnt a street car.

/Rant

Last edited:

Driver500

Established Member
- runs on 93 octane
- passes inspection
- able to be driven in the rain at highway speeds or hot weather in traffic
- girlfriend has no problem riding in it on a dressed up date night

I'm currently working on the hot weather in traffic part.

GodStang

Established Member
Just a few posts ago you were telling us you ran on stock wheels and tires. This is the second time you've mentioned your track tires. Which is it? Street tires or slicks? If you're running slicks it isn't a street car based on that anyway, and that has been stated by several people in the thread.

I have been to the local track many, many, many times. I have run on bone stock wheels/tires, I have run on ET Street Radials and have run on ET streets. When I run on normal street tires I drive it out there. When I run on the ET streets and have to carry tools I trailer it. Yet I have driven down there once on my ET streets and had to carry a cigarette lighter air pump. Deflate when I got there then run then try and use the piece of crap air pump to inflate and drive back home. No more of that crap just trailer it. You break just load it up.

Also when I go to watch I DRIVE the same car out there to watch. So when I watch that means my car is a street car but when I race it means its no longer a street car? That stupid. Its the same car.

Got Boost?

Established Member
Holy crap, u daily drove a stang with fat rear tires, skinny fronts, and no wiper blades in Florida??

You sir are either very brave, or just didn't go anywhere for a couple hours a day when it rained.... :D

ok, sorry to interrupt, u all can go back to arguing trailer use now ;-)

Drive smart and use alot of Rain-X, thats all. lol.

Still doing it everyday. Atleast for a little while longer. I'm building a new DD as we speak, haha.

BlckBullitt01

Established Member
I like the way some track events do it where all the cars in the "street class" go on a 1-2 hr cruise, then come back and run right away. A true street car can handle that no problem.

mrmustangman357

Established Member
- runs on 93 octane
- passes inspection
- able to be driven in the rain at highway speeds or hot weather in traffic
- girlfriend has no problem riding in it on a dressed up date night

I'm currently working on the hot weather in traffic part.

Agreed. Plus I would include able to tolerate a lot of mileage without maintenance (200 miles between valve lashings does not make a street car)

LOLasaurus

Established Member
It'd probably be easier to define a race car and if you're vehicle doesn't meet any of this criteria then its a street car.

Do you have a race car???

-Does it have only 1 seat in it? Does this seat consist primarily of sheet metal?
-Do you spend more on maintenance than the car note?
-Would you be laughed at if you brought your car in for inspection?
-Does the idea of getting stuck in traffic on a hot summer day make you think twice before driving it?
-Can the car make back to back 1/4 mile passes without a drop in performance?

Users who are viewing this thread