Definition of Street Car?

vortechlx

Join My 8 Week Program
Established Member
Where does everyone draw the line between street car & drag car? Here's some of my thoughts lets hear yours.

1. Runs around town on pump gas 93 or less (race gas is fine at track)
2. No wheelie bars or parachutes attached
3. Maintains all functioning safety devices, turn signals, headlights, brakelights etc...
4. roll bars are ok plenty street cars run sub 11.50's
5. DOT tires
:pop:

vortechlx

Join My 8 Week Program
Established Member
If it can pass safety inspection and be tagged in the state you live in.

We don't have safety inspections or emissions out here. If you have a title you can license it & drive it. Most everyone claims to have a street car. I want to hear what people think in their opinion causes a car to cross that line.

oldmodman

Established Member
If your girlfriend or wife will ride in it for four hours without complaining about noise, temperature, ride, smell, or appearance.

oilwell1415

Established Member
Where does everyone draw the line between street car & drag car? Here's some of my thoughts lets hear yours.

3. Maintains all functioning safety devices, turn signals, headlights, brakelights etc...
5. DOT tires

If your girlfriend or wife will ride in it for four hours without complaining about noise, temperature, ride, smell, or appearance.

Yes to all of the above. If it's on a trailer it is not a street car. All of the exuses in the world don't change the fact that if it was a street car it would be driving itself to the track, not riding a trailer.

astrodudepsu

1of72 Hater
Established Member
I understand not having emissions, but not having any sort of safety inspection is retarded.

Numbers 3 and 5 on your list are my thoughts really, because without that stuff you aren't passing inspection.

vortechlx

Join My 8 Week Program
Established Member
I understand not having emissions, but not having any sort of safety inspection is retarded.

Numbers 3 and 5 on your list are my thoughts really, because without that stuff you aren't passing inspection.

I agree with you 100% its scary some of the junk that drives around. Safety inspections should be required. Also lots of un-insured. I've also seen guys with prostock looking cars driving in town

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
street·car
   /ˈstritˌkɑr/ Show Spelled[street-kahr] Show IPA
–noun
a public vehicle running regularly along certain streets, usually on rails, as a trolley car or trolley bus.
Use street car in a Sentence
See images of street car
Search street car on the Web
Origin:
1860–65, Americanism ; street + car1

fiveohhhstang

Established Member
I agree with your list for the most part, Ryan. That's what I consider to be a street car as well.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
All legal things any car must have. Working headlights,brake lights,turning signals, license plate.... Not running pump gas doesn't mean it's not a street car, I know people who have barrels/drums of race fuel.

oilwell1415

Established Member
All legal things any car must have. Working headlights,brake lights,turning signals, license plate.... Not running pump gas doesn't mean it's not a street car, I know people who have barrels/drums of race fuel.

One of the legal things a car must have is a fuel approved by the EPA. Race gas isn't.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
"Street car" is a general term. What some people can tolerate in a vehicle other people can't. Personally, living where I live, I'd never have a street car that didn't have a/c, but some people deal with it. My personal vision of a street car is one that can be driven pretty much anywhere, at length on the highway without overheating, have all necessary safety equipment for street legal use, and have the creature comforts like a/c etc to make it enjoyable. That's just my personal opinion.

Drazga

Established Member
your list plus driving down the highway for a extended period of time like everyone else said.

SHOULD
-be able to run on 93 even if race gas is put in it on occasion or when it goes to the track
-have powersteering unless it came from the factory with out it
-pass inspection in a stricter state except for CATS
-be capable of being DD'd
-should be able to run on the street

SHOULDNT
-have to be comfortable to your wife/gf (mine bitches sometimes just because of how loud the stingers/x are with the windows done because she cant hear the radio)
-have to have a/c
-have to be driven by your pal, there is a bunch of people i know that i wouldnt give even a 300hp car to

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
id say anything thats still driveable through heavy traffic or freeway without overheating, something thats still not heavily modified for only one use. Something that still retains most, if not all, amenities (full interior, AC/PS, stereo, etc).

txyaloo

Established Member
The San Francisco treat.

large_canal%20streetcar.JPG

SVTStrikesBack

Last One Standing
Established Member

5. DOT tires

I'd agree with your list accept to exclude any car with a cage or rollbar and the tires. IMO the tires should need to be something made for the street, not something you are allowed to drive on it. A/C should function if equipped on the car.

My list is just an opinion though.

Users who are viewing this thread