Definition of Street Car?

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
if you can drive it to the track and that night drive it home from the track.

thats not true because i drive my car almost everyday but i take my car to and from the track on my trailer because it's way way cheaper then a tow truck

chrisheltra

Established Member
If you're willing to drive it to the track now it's more of a street car now than it was then.

I've driven my truck 5 hours cross country multiple times to run it on a roadcoarse, so you don't get any credit from me because it's a long drive. The fact is that you didn't have enough confidence in it to drive it to the track.

Every time I go to the track I go with the intentions of breaking something and I try very hard to but I have not been successful yet. You can bet your ass if Im going to a track any further than and hour away from home that my truck will be on a trailer. The bad thing is that I dont even own another truck or a trailer if I wanted to make a long trip to the 1/4 id have to try to borrow both.

BTW Im not trying to get any credit from you nor did I know you were dispensing it.

GodStang

Established Member
thats not true because i drive my car almost everyday but i take my car to and from the track on my trailer because it's way way cheaper then a tow truck

Its also great to have your track tires already mounted and tire pressure down to what you would like it to. It sucks having to drive there on ET Streets at ~30psi. Deflate to 15psi. Race a few times. Inflate back to 30 psi to drive home. Now I just trailer.

oilwell1415

Established Member
When you and 30 of your friends have trailers than it costs zero dollars. When driving on the street I do not do 3.5-5K dumps on ET streets like you do at the track. Track driving is a million times harder on the car than just normal driving. That picture above is being towed home after breaking $2K DSS Level 5 Chromoloy Halfshafts. They had 20 miles on them. They were the LAST piece I expected to break and they did. Its 100% a street car. It is 100% legal in my state and I drive it to work all the time and drive it all over the state. It also gets over 20mpg on the highway. It is a street car no matter what excuse you make.

It sounds like you and 30 of your friends have enough money that it shouldn't matter anyway. For that $2k you could have put a solid axle in it and not had to worry about it. BTW, you're the one making exuses, not me.

Then you have never had to have your car towed anywhere and you're a very lucky person. The first time you have you vehicle breakdown SEVERAL HOURS from your home at a track, you'll see what is cheaper, a tow or a trailer....:shrug:

I've had to have my daily driver and my wife's car towed, and I spent the last 10 years as a mechanic. I'm pretty familiar with what it costs to have something towed, so let's do the math on this. Around here I can buy a 16ft flatbed with ramps for about $2k, and that would not be my first choice for a trailer. A tow is $43 hookup plus $2.85/mile. That means a trailer doesn't break even until you're about 700 miles from home. Most of us will never race that far away from home, never mind doing it regularly. The average tow is less than $100, so you'd have to do it 20 times for the trailer to break even. If you have to register and insure your trailer (we don't have to here) it takes even longer.

Every time I go to the track I go with the intentions of breaking something and I try very hard to but I have not been successful yet. You can bet your ass if Im going to a track any further than and hour away from home that my truck will be on a trailer. The bad thing is that I dont even own another truck or a trailer if I wanted to make a long trip to the 1/4 id have to try to borrow both.

BTW Im not trying to get any credit from you nor did I know you were dispensing it.

I don't go with the intention of breaking something. I do my best to plan my mods so I don't have to worry about it. Hell, it's probably been 2 years since I even went to a dragstrip. It's a lot more fun to go to the roadtrack, beat on my truck for 2-3 hours and come home than it is to go to the drags, run hard for less than a minute and drive home.

If you aren't searching for credit, why did you need to mention your 3 hour drive to justify the use of a trailer?

Its also great to have your track tires already mounted and tire pressure down to what you would like it to. It sucks having to drive there on ET Streets at ~30psi. Deflate to 15psi. Race a few times. Inflate back to 30 psi to drive home. Now I just trailer.

Just a few posts ago you were telling us you ran on stock wheels and tires. This is the second time you've mentioned your track tires. Which is it? Street tires or slicks? If you're running slicks it isn't a street car based on that anyway, and that has been stated by several people in the thread.

So what happens if I drive it to the track and break something while Im there and cant drive it home does that mean its not a street car anymore?

If you drive it to the track and break something you have a street car and know exactly what you next mod(s) will be.

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
In other words, you don't have the confidence that your car won't break something to drive it. If you have to be worried about it breaking it isn't a street car. There's always the chance something will break, even if it's stock. There are solutions available for all the known problems that you should add if it's that big of a concern.

A tow truck ride is also a helluva lot cheaper than a trailer, so that argument doesn't hold water.

We trailered our bone stock warrantied DD Camaro an hour to the track. Why? Because we could :shrug: Got to the track nice and cool, were able to get some good passes, and didn't have to Onstar it when the damn thing broke the driveshaft bolts. Even stock cars break. If you have a truck and trailer, why not use them?

Big_Daddy

Established Member
Well I don't drag race my car I only take it to road courses and it ALWAYS goes to the track on a trailer. It goes on my rollback that has more than paid for itself in saved tow bills. My car with over 650 RWHP likes to break things at the track and occasionally I like to see what the agriculture is like surounding some of the tracks and ONCE I even inspected the tire wall from CLOSE range. FOR ALL of these reasons I put my STREET car on a TRAILER when I take it to a track.....I don't live close to any road courses and for what I would have had to pay in tow bills I've paid for my trailer. :beer:

Being smart about how you get your car to and from a track has nothing to do with weather or not it's a street car. I have full exhaust and cats and I'm "STREET LEGAL" in NC by the RULES of the NC-DMV. SO I have a STREET CAR, my state DMV says so...lol! :bash::bash::poke::poke::burnout:

ford_racer

King of SVTP
Established Member
central valley 110* dry summer heat is a better test IMO. my 97 GST would fail at a stop after a minute or so (big FMIC blocked radiator) but once moving would get better. Had to do a full coolant system overhaul (new rad, bigger/better fans, waterwetter, additional ducting) to bring them to manageable in hot summer.

Id imagine Arizona or Las Vegas dry summer heat would suck too.

I have a friend who has the same problem. He's got a 406 SBC in an S10. At a stop it would hit 240, but once moving it stays at a nice cool 180. I told him to run it without the hood one day and it never got above 190.

I couldn't drive around like that, waiting for my car to overheat and start shaving metal.

chrisheltra

Established Member
If you drive it to the track and break something you have a street car and know exactly what you next mod(s) will be.

You do realize that nearly every car built rides a trailer from the factory to the dealership right? Whether its a semi trailer or a rail car....

Does that mean that no car ever made is a street car?

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
So what happens if I drive it to the track and break something while Im there and cant drive it home does that mean its not a street car anymore?

lol no, that just means its broken.

The whole trailer argument is kinda hard. Id love to trailer my fast car (if/when i do ever have one) to and from the track, but that means A) id also need a truck capable of towing, and B) need a good trailer suited for the task.

Ive had my GST towed back from Sacramento Raceway (1.5hr drive) for $130. I now have AAA package that covers me pretty much 3-4hrs in any direction, so that tow will be free. Kinda hard to justify a truck/trailer at that point.

I have a friend who has the same problem. He's got a 406 SBC in an S10. At a stop it would hit 240, but once moving it stays at a nice cool 180. I told him to run it without the hood one day and it never got above 190.

I couldn't drive around like that, waiting for my car to overheat and start shaving metal.

If it got better cooling with the hood off, he has an airflow to radiator problem and needs to get some puller/pusher fans to move air through the rad. I knew i had the same issue when i pulled the front bumper off and drove around, didnt overheat at all since the air was able to find its way around my fmic to the radiator. Though after maintenance/mods, i was able to see no higher than 190* at a stop (had a 180 tstat), and 180* at cruise.

But yeah, definitely a shitty feeling coming to a stop and always looking at the temp gauge.

Last edited:

oilwell1415

Established Member
You do realize that nearly every car built rides a trailer from the factory to the dealership right? Whether its a semi trailer or a rail car....

Does that mean that no car ever made is a street car?

You do realize that every car built is not tagged, insured, nor has a state inspection sticker (if needed) when that trip is made? That means none of them are legal to drive on the street at that point. Do you also realize that we aren't talking about one new car, we're talking about hundreds of thousands of them? Do you know how much it would add to the cost of every vehicle if they paid someone to personally drive each one? Do you realize that if they drove them to the dealership they would no longer be new cars? Do you realize that many of them would probably be lost to accidents on the way to the dealer? An economic decision made by a large corporation is a little different than a personal decision made by someone worried about whether or not their car is capable of successfully completing a trip to the track under its own power.

oilwell1415

Established Member
We trailered our bone stock warrantied DD Camaro an hour to the track. Why? Because we could :shrug: Got to the track nice and cool, were able to get some good passes, and didn't have to Onstar it when the damn thing broke the driveshaft bolts. Even stock cars break. If you have a truck and trailer, why not use them?

Two words: warranty service. And yes, GM was covering things like this under warranty because they got sued for refusing it and lost.

ford_racer

King of SVTP
Established Member
Trailering a car to a track a few hours away does not dictate whether it is a street car or not. All that tells anyone is that the owner is smart enough to prepare for the worst.

You can plan your mods all you want to, but whether you like it or not, things can and will break, especially in an environment that puts a lot more stress on moving parts than a normal street environment would.

If a car can drive around for hours at a time around the city, but the owner wants to trailer it to a different city/state, then it is still a street car, whether you deem it one or not.

Steve@BAS

Established Member
Some people might just trailer it too because they want to keep miles off.

Regarding the aspect of "you let your friend drive a street car".... Nope, I wouldn't let my friends drive my car when it was in stock form.

I think the girlfriend test puts it well enough!

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
Two words: warranty service. And yes, GM was covering things like this under warranty because they got sued for refusing it and lost.

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make...It was fixed under warranty :shrug:

We've borrowed/used trailers more times than I can remember for one reason or another, from the time our old 99 SS chunked its guts at Texas World Speedway to the time we moved my non-AC Civic across Texas in May. To say a car isn't a street car simply because the owner would rather have a backup plan is just asinine.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
Technically, if you've changed pretty much anything on the emission system it can't be registered.

Iceman12

Established Member
My definition of a street car means that in the event something happened to the car you generally drive everyday you could, without hesitation, drive your "street car" as its replacement - even for extended period of time. As said, some people are more tolerable than others. My Daily Driven fox (for 3 years) has no A/C, H/C/I, heavy clutch, no rear seat, no radio, 3:73s, dumped exhaust without cats, no wipers and skinnies on the front - but none of this bothers me enough to make me hesitate to drive it under any circumstances.

Holy crap, u daily drove a stang with fat rear tires, skinny fronts, and no wiper blades in Florida??

You sir are either very brave, or just didn't go anywhere for a couple hours a day when it rained.... :D

ok, sorry to interrupt, u all can go back to arguing trailer use now ;-)

Last edited:

Ct.TOPGUN

Established Member
Everyone has a different idea of what constitutes a "street car". To me, it is all about what inconveniences the owner is willing to tolerate. That varies with each individual.

To me, it has to be capable of being tagged(by hook or by crook) and be able to drive to events or gatherings without issue. I routinely drive up to 200 miles each way to race my truck. Most times I drive it home too!

My goal is to build the fastest streetable Lightning that I can. Figure it will be in the eights by the time I run out of mods to do.

Jim

LS2GTO

Established Member
If you have to be worried about it breaking it isn't a street car.

Are you high? I have (at my parents house) a 1986 buick that's 100% stock and 100% street legal, yet I am scared everytime I drive it because it's so old and could break any second. Does that mean that it's not a street car but a race car?

Like you said, any car even 100% stock has a chance to break...so every owner on the road (even grandma in her buick) is at least somewhat worried that their car could break. So that means that every single vehicle out there on the road right now is not a street car because their owners are worried about the car breaking.

Do you listen to yourself?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread