Definition of Street Car?

Got Boost?

Established Member
My definition of a street car means that in the event something happened to the car you generally drive everyday you could, without hesitation, drive your "street car" as its replacement - even for extended period of time. As said, some people are more tolerable than others. My Daily Driven fox (for 3 years) has no A/C, H/C/I, heavy clutch, no rear seat, no radio, 3:73s, dumped exhaust without cats, no wipers and skinnies on the front - but none of this bothers me enough to make me hesitate to drive it under any circumstances.

T-Bolt

Official 'ring tow rig...
Established Member
As long as it runs on 93, is able to pass inspection (if the cats are gutted but it throws no CEL it still passes in my book, or is exempt), and will not overheat in traffic. A/C and radio be damned, the Cross Bronx on a hot summer day is the ultimate test of if a car can survive traffic or not. Until I swap in a new radiator, the S10 fails, and it's slower than my heavy-ass SUV.

Last edited:

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
central valley 110* dry summer heat is a better test IMO. my 97 GST would fail at a stop after a minute or so (big FMIC blocked radiator) but once moving would get better. Had to do a full coolant system overhaul (new rad, bigger/better fans, waterwetter, additional ducting) to bring them to manageable in hot summer.

Id imagine Arizona or Las Vegas dry summer heat would suck too.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Definition of a street car? Pretty simple to me. A car that can be regularly driven on the street, on a daily basis if necessary.

chrisheltra

Established Member
Yes to all of the above. If it's on a trailer it is not a street car. All of the exuses in the world don't change the fact that if it was a street car it would be driving itself to the track, not riding a trailer.

Race car?

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVhmBIH1Rpg"]YouTube- Chrisheltra In Darlington[/nomedia]

:shrug:

Big_Daddy

Established Member
Yes to all of the above. If it's on a trailer it is not a street car. All of the exuses in the world don't change the fact that if it was a street car it would be driving itself to the track, not riding a trailer.

Well mine '01 has done the Hot Rod Power Tour LONG HAUL twice and I trailer it to the track. I want to get home should the car decide to dump some parts when running on the track.... SO a trailer doesn't always mean a non street car! :beer:

GodStang

Established Member

That is not true at all. I trailer my car 10 miles to the track the last time I went. It has A/C, power steering, runs only on 93 octane, has all seats, has a license plate, drive to work all the time, runs on stock rims and tires, and makes 700+ rwhp on that 93 octane. I have to trailer mine cause it breaks axles and hate to be stranded there. I know many who trailer true street cars for the same reason.

SVTTrailer.jpg

Derek@Amazon

RTCTTFMF!!!
Established Member
No, just pathetic. Why was it on the trailer? It doesn't matter what the answer is, it still gets back to the fact that you didn't want to drive it to the track. If you didn't want to drive it to the track it isn't a street car.

alot easier that way when something breaks... hate to say it but shit happens! and its alot cheaper then a tow truck

chrisheltra

Established Member
No, just pathetic. Why was it on the trailer? It doesn't matter what the answer is, it still gets back to the fact that you didn't want to drive it to the track. If you didn't want to drive it to the track it isn't a street car.

Thats about the most unreasonable thing Ive ever heard. At the time I was on the stock block with a decent amount of mods and driving nearly 3 hours to the closest 1/4 mile track. The last thing I wanted was to be stranded that far away from home with a vented block and no way to get home. That was the first and last time the truck was on the trailer and has been driven everyday to work for the past 7 years. Now its built and easily capable of running 10's consistently and still DD'ed to work everyday. So you tell me was it more of a street car when it was trailered one time and could only run 12's or is it more of a street car now that it can run 10's? Either way I drive it everyday with a/c, p/s, fully operating electrical and a bad ass system behind the seat.

GodStang

Established Member
Thats about the most unreasonable thing Ive ever heard. At the time I was on the stock block with a decent amount of mods and driving nearly 3 hours to the closest 1/4 mile track. The last thing I wanted was to be stranded that far away from home with a vented block and no way to get home. That was the first and last time the truck was on the trailer and has been driven everyday to work for the past 7 years. Now its built and easily capable of running 10's consistently and still DD'ed to work everyday. So you tell me was it more of a street car when it was trailered one time and could only run 12's or is it more of a street car now that it can run 10's? Either way I drive it everyday with a/c, p/s, fully operating electrical and a bad ass system behind the seat.

This is very common. At Jackson we will have stock cars/ near stock cars come in on trailers for the same reason. you drive 4 hrs and break its expensive to have it "towed" back.

oilwell1415

Established Member
Well mine '01 has done the Hot Rod Power Tour LONG HAUL twice and I trailer it to the track. I want to get home should the car decide to dump some parts when running on the track.... SO a trailer doesn't always mean a non street car! :beer:

That is not true at all. I trailer my car 10 miles to the track the last time I went. It has A/C, power steering, runs only on 93 octane, has all seats, has a license plate, drive to work all the time, runs on stock rims and tires, and makes 700+ rwhp on that 93 octane. I have to trailer mine cause it breaks axles and hate to be stranded there. I know many who trailer true street cars for the same reason.

SVTTrailer.jpg

alot easier that way when something breaks... hate to say it but shit happens! and its alot cheaper then a tow truck

In other words, you don't have the confidence that your car won't break something to drive it. If you have to be worried about it breaking it isn't a street car. There's always the chance something will break, even if it's stock. There are solutions available for all the known problems that you should add if it's that big of a concern.

A tow truck ride is also a helluva lot cheaper than a trailer, so that argument doesn't hold water.

oilwell1415

Established Member

If you're willing to drive it to the track now it's more of a street car now than it was then.

I've driven my truck 5 hours cross country multiple times to run it on a roadcoarse, so you don't get any credit from me because it's a long drive. The fact is that you didn't have enough confidence in it to drive it to the track.

GodStang

Established Member
In other words, you don't have the confidence that your car won't break something to drive it. If you have to be worried about it breaking it isn't a street car. There's always the chance something will break, even if it's stock. There are solutions available for all the known problems that you should add if it's that big of a concern.

A tow truck ride is also a helluva lot cheaper than a trailer, so that argument doesn't hold water.

When you and 30 of your friends have trailers than it costs zero dollars. When driving on the street I do not do 3.5-5K dumps on ET streets like you do at the track. Track driving is a million times harder on the car than just normal driving. That picture above is being towed home after breaking $2K DSS Level 5 Chromoloy Halfshafts. They had 20 miles on them. They were the LAST piece I expected to break and they did. Its 100% a street car. It is 100% legal in my state and I drive it to work all the time and drive it all over the state. It also gets over 20mpg on the highway. It is a street car no matter what excuse you make.

Big_Daddy

Established Member

Then you have never had to have your car towed anywhere and you're a very lucky person. The first time you have you vehicle breakdown SEVERAL HOURS from your home at a track, you'll see what is cheaper, a tow or a trailer....:shrug:

Derek@Amazon

RTCTTFMF!!!
Established Member
When you and 30 of your friends have trailers than it costs zero dollars. When driving on the street I do not do 3.5-5K dumps on ET streets like you do at the track. Track driving is a million times harder on the car than just normal driving. That picture above is being towed home after breaking $2K DSS Level 5 Chromoloy Halfshafts. They had 20 miles on them. They were the LAST piece I expected to break and they did. Its 100% a street car. It is 100% legal in my state and I drive it to work all the time and drive it all over the state. It also gets over 20mpg on the highway. It is a street car no matter what excuse you make.

yea i dont see my self coming off on the street at 6000 side stepping the clutch on a radial...

actually knowing me i would try it

Users who are viewing this thread