Didn't see this one coming...

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
SO - too soon to start begging for an "R" allocation? :rolleyes:
I already got word that I won't get one. The "smaller" stores typically get hosed with the low volume allocation. Hell I'm only getting 1 GT350 next year and it's already been promised to a forum member.

johnny-longtors

Haikeeba!
Established Member
I already got word that I won't get one. The "smaller" stores typically get hosed with the low volume allocation.
Yeah - that's why I don't get the conjecture that suddenly an "R" at less than astronomical ADM is somehow a "logical progression" here...
I appreciate the fact that you offer your allocations up here.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Yeah - that's why I don't get the conjecture that suddenly an "R" at less than astronomical ADM is somehow a "logical progression" here...
I appreciate the fact that you offer your allocations up here.

Of course. I'd rather see them go to someone that will enjoy them, rather than someone who will have to read through the owner's manual to figure out the suggested maintenance interval of the muffler bearings.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
This falls right into my four year plan. Keep the '16 for four years, then trade it in on a low miles '17-'18 GT350 priced in the low $40K range. Should be doable. It's strange that the '18 isn't getting an exterior refresh. But that aids with my plan even more.

Zemedici

Established Member
This falls right into my four year plan. Keep the '16 for four years, then trade it in on a low miles '17-'18 GT350 priced in the low $40K range. Should be doable. It's strange that the '18 isn't getting an exterior refresh. But that aids with my plan even more.

are you expecting to have the 16 paid off by then? Do you think they'll hold their value? We're hoping they will, so Tanya can use her car as a down payment for her GTR next year.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
I won't have it paid off, but it will be really close. As far as value, I never hold my breath on that too much. But, if I can get high 20's then so be it.

are you expecting to have the 16 paid off by then? Do you think they'll hold their value? We're hoping they will, so Tanya can use her car as a down payment for her GTR next year.

Zemedici

Established Member
I won't have it paid off, but it will be really close. As far as value, I never hold my breath on that too much. But, if I can get high 20's then so be it.

ah gotcha. Good luck with it! FWIW My brother got offered 26 by multiple dealerships for trade in on his 15 with 8000 miles. Guard Performance Pack Premium Coupe with NAV.

jtfx6552

Established Member
Forgive my ignorance as I've been on vacation for two weeks but what does this mean for the 2018 gt500?
I'm pretty sure it means there isn't one. Maybe 19? Has me baffled as to what to do. I hate to buy a 17 or 18 GT350, and watch it get devalued by the Ford hype machine right before I try to get into the new GT500.

johnny-longtors

Haikeeba!
Established Member
Given the demand for the 350 I see no reason why the 2 can't be offered side-by-side. As people here have argued ad nauseaum - different cars for different purposes.

Question is - can Ford make them side-by-side. I thought building the 350s was "disruptive" as it is, particularly given the volume increase because of the popularity of the platform in general trim.....

jtfx6552

Established Member
Given the demand for the 350 I see no reason why the 2 can't be offered side-by-side. As people here have argued ad nauseaum - different cars for different purposes.

Question is - can Ford make them side-by-side. I thought building the 350s was "disruptive" as it is, particularly given the volume increase because of the popularity of the platform in general trim.....

That would be interesting, and awesome. Kind of like Chevy offering the ZL1 and the Z28 or the Z06 and GS, or Z06 and ZR1 (which they haven't done yet with the C7) at the same time.

Would probably make getting whichever one is your cup of tea easier (provided they made each in the 5-10K each quantity).

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Porsche makes the GT3 and the Turbo S consecutively, and their performance is on top of each other. Other than the short sighted-ness of Mustang "fans", there's no reason Ford couldn't build the GT350 and GT500 together.

jtfx6552

Established Member
Porsche makes the GT3 and the Turbo S consecutively, and their performance is on top of each other. Other than the short sighted-ness of Mustang "fans", there's no reason Ford couldn't build the GT350 and GT500 together.
It's not short sightedness of Mustang fans, is short sightedness of Ford to not build them at the same time.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
It's not short sightedness of Mustang fans, is short sightedness of Ford to not build them at the same time.
They sell all that they produce...they don't have to mark them down tens of thousands to do it.

They have a good system.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member

Ford and Porsche have completely different business plans. Porsche has to sell cars based on perceived performance and racing heritage. They make a few cars that overlap in performance, but together cover a larger demographic than one model.

Ford isn't in the business of selling ultimate performance cars. They don't need a GT350 and GT500 at the same time. They just need one "halo" model at a time to draw people into the showroom floor and keep the brand image sharp. They expect these halo cars to sell you a focus, fusion, or mustang ecoboost, not the halo cars themselves.

jtfx6552

Established Member
Dodge is making almost 12,0000 Hellcats, I'm sure a bunch of those sales would be GT500s, if Ford had one.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
I know that number came off a hellcat forum, but do you know where the data came from? I didn't think any manufacturer broke down mustang/camaro/challenger/etc. sales down to which model/trim level it is.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Also, Ford sells 2.5 million cars a year. I don't think they are overly concerned over whether or not they can get an extra 6000 mustang sales. Depends on Ford's expected sales differences between having 1 or 2 halo mustangs, and the development costs associated with it.

Bean counters thought 1 was a better option.

Users who are viewing this thread