Disappointed - JLT RAI

Stitch

Established Member
After having it on for 2 weeks, I'm honestly not impressed. I feel no increase in performance whatsoever. But SOTP feel is not all so I have a Dyno appointment May 20th. With the stock intake with just a KN filter, I made 302rwhp with tune.

The design itself is not the problem I see, but its the fit/finish. Clearances are way too tight. The rubber elbow is sitting/rubbing against my strut tower and the hood insulator, the 9" (which I believe is too long) is pushing up against the back of the headlight housing and I can assure you the pieces are installed correctly. I have been working on cars for many years and though I may not be able to rebuild a motor or rear end, I can install an intake.

I'm a bit more irritated is that I PM'd Tucker regarding a question I had and received no response whatsoever.

Honestly, the design needs to be overhauled for a more OEM fit and finish. The Throttle Body elbow needs to be custom made for each vehicle year and allow for the required downward slope of the intake tube. The filter or tubing needs to be cut instead of using the frame of the vehicle to support the whole intake. Clearances need to be tighter and allow for better fit. Even the actual RAI tube had large burr's and unfinished material on each side of the tube that I filed down.

Anyway, unless I see a decent power gain on the 20th, my RAI will be for sale.

djtech

Established Member
My JLT CAI was a tight fit as well. Mine scraped the hood liner enough to wear a small hole in it ;(. I think that it can be installed without hitting but I didn't spend enough time on it to find out.

The pipes look like painted PVC to me, nothing special. I noticed a power improvement after the install. I did scrape the crap out of mine where the intake goes in to the fenderwell. I like the looks and power more than the stock setup.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
I'm extremely happy with my CAI. The fit is tight yes but I get no rubbing. Power increase was immediately noticeable. Gas mileage has improved as well since the install.

01_OXFORD_SVT

10th Anni FTMFW
Established Member
My JLT is a pain in the as to take off and install, it rubs on the hood blanket and strut tower but guess what...... I DONT GIVE A F U C K ! The ass feeling I get when I let that bitch rip is the payoff for a little scraping and rubbing.. Look at it this way. Be a man...Nobody is gonna inspect under the hood..

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
Torch10th said:
I'm extremely happy with my CAI. The fit is tight yes but I get no rubbing. Power increase was immediately noticeable. Gas mileage has improved as well since the install.

Any sotp power increase was due to your wallet being lighter. I've had gains of 10rwhp and could feel nothing in the SOTP but it showed on the dyno.

As for the RAI, I have one and the fit stinks. At 4" diameter it's a little too big and the filter is jammed up against the core support. The 3.5" UPR RAI fits much better.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
na svt said:
Any sotp power increase was due to your wallet being lighter. I've had gains of 10rwhp and could feel nothing in the SOTP but it showed on the dyno.

As for the RAI, I have one and the fit stinks. At 4" diameter it's a little too big and the filter is jammed up against the core support. The 3.5" UPR RAI fits much better.

Being the absolute only mod that I have done to my car thus far I assure you I was able to feel it.

Also the fact that my car is running ET's and MPH at my elevation that it simply should not run. We're talking nearly a second faster than most other 99/01 Cobra's.

Sure I'm a decent driver but I'm not THAT good.

Stitch

Established Member
01_OXFORD_SVT said:
My JLT is a pain in the as to take off and install, it rubs on the hood blanket and strut tower but guess what...... I DONT GIVE A F U C K ! The ass feeling I get when I let that bitch rip is the payoff for a little scraping and rubbing.. Look at it this way. Be a man...Nobody is gonna inspect under the hood..

You may not care, but I do. Your comment here shows the type of person you are and basically your opinion means squat to me.

I'd rather sacrifice 1-2 hp for a proper fitting piece. Again, if I do not see atleast a 10rwhp it will be coming off and being sold.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Stitch said:
You may not care, but I do. Your comment here shows the type of person you are and basically your opinion means squat to me.

I'd rather sacrifice 1-2 hp for a proper fitting piece. Again, if I do not see atleast a 10rwhp it will be coming off and being sold.

I don't doubt your skill at installing an intake but have you tried fidgetting with it a bit?

My JLT is a tight fit there's not doubt there but I don't have any of the issues you describe. I found that a bottle of soapy water worked wonders to get the pipe positioned exactly how I wanted it.

The only part of my intake that touches anything is the upper rubber elbow to the hood blanket.

Stitch

Established Member
Torch10th said:
I don't doubt your skill at installing an intake but have you tried fidgetting with it a bit?

My JLT is a tight fit there's not doubt there but I don't have any of the issues you describe. I found that a bottle of soapy water worked wonders to get the pipe positioned exactly how I wanted it.

The only part of my intake that touches anything is the upper rubber elbow to the hood blanket.

Yes. No luck. Tucker specifically designs it so the RAI is held in place by the T/B elbow and the filter being pushed against the Core Support. And don't get me started on the heat shield.

themadgmkillr

99 Cobra...Yeah Baby..!!
Established Member
hey Stitch, look into the WMS Racing Intake, none of the listed problems, and you can run it with a STB, just check it out...

Stitch

Established Member
01_OXFORD_SVT said:
Dude take your thong out of your ass and zip the E-**** back up asshat. I stated a fact, truth hurts bro. learn to deal.

None of what you said is 'factual', only your experience, and you voiced your opinion on your experience which is to accept an inferiorly made product because it netted you a gain that 'you' felt. Until I see factual #'s (on my car via a dyno), that gain does not exist for me nor does that change the 'fact' of poor design and manufacturing of the product.

Now tuck your tail and take your attitude somewhere else.

Stitch

Established Member
themadgmkillr said:
hey Stitch, look into the WMS Racing Intake, none of the listed problems, and you can run it with a STB, just check it out...

What's their website?

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
Stitch said:
What's their website?

wmsracing.com

i had one and it was good, although i converted it to the "RAI style using an adapter like the JLT uses and a pro-m filter, and i switched back to the stock MAF because it ran better than with the pro-m that came with the wms intake

i then switched to the RAI, and the fitment wasn't as good, but when running on the street before and after against the same car, i pulled a little harder with the JLT and S&B filter... just my couple of pennies...

themadgmkillr

99 Cobra...Yeah Baby..!!
Established Member
yeah I agree Hamilton, but I think the bigger 95 MAF would payoff down the road, if your building a N/A beast or something...I dunno...I like mine like no other...

Stitch

Established Member
01_OXFORD_SVT said:
Dude you can lick my nuts, The fact in my statement is clear, (1)Its a pain to Install and Uninstall (2)It rubs the hood blanket and Strut tower and (3) for your dumbass, As I said before I dont give a ****, Reading Comprehension is a must. Jackass.

Oh and another fact for your non intake installing ass, My car DID pick up HP and TQ across the board with this intake. HA!

Simmer down son and go sit in a corner.

Users who are viewing this thread