Disappointed - JLT RAI

Hmbre97

Eaton powered
Established Member
only fitment issues I have is it rubbing a very small spot on my hood blanket. Other than that, it fits pretty damn good. I installed it once and it looked like crap. I pulled it back out and reinstalled it. For some reason, it fit perfect the second time around :shrug:

matt888

Established Member
This thread is hilarious. LFMAO.

I have the JLT CAI on my cobra powered GT. Not sure if I feel a difference, but the damn rubber elbow is mashed against the bottom of my hood. Crappy fit. I'll throw it on a dyno again soon. It might be up for sale too if it doesn't deliver..

Cobra Kai

Never Dies
Established Member
CobraG said:
I'm not sure I follow what you are saying really. I want my after market parts to have plenty of R&D

In a nutshell, I doubt there was more R&D put into either JLT than the original done by factory engineers. I would love to see the flow bench numbers graphed along side logs from the IAT and MAFs, rather than rely on peak HP claims via dynos. Not hating on the product; but at this point, glad I spent the money on gears instead. :)

kezell

MW3-kezell17
Established Member
I had rubbing issues as well with the JLT, I also got tired of people asking me if that was PVC. I swapped to the WMS 95mm CAI.

Stitch

Established Member
Well, I ordered the 3.5" t/b to M/A WMS intake tube. I'll then use it in combination with the RAI (only if it fits) otherwise I'll use the stock airbox and do some custom work on it and sell the RAI.

The PVC part doesn't bothe me, its more that he could have atleast invested some money in the t/b adapter so that it was a cleaner fit.

Like I said, I'll have Dyno #'s on the 20th. Possibly before and after the WMS intake piece.

CobraG

Established Member
Cobra Kai said:
In a nutshell, I doubt there was more R&D put into either JLT than the original done by factory engineers. I would love to see the flow bench numbers graphed along side logs from the IAT and MAFs, rather than rely on peak HP claims via dynos. Not hating on the product; but at this point, glad I spent the money on gears instead. :)

I hear ya on that. I can't wait to get gears, I just have to make up my mind to spend the money then do it right then, otherwise I'll keep dragging my feet.

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
Cobra Kai said:

hello?!? performance is lower on the list for a ford engineer for a mass-produced vehicle than say, cost (#1), how to fit it into a tight space (fit and finish), sound level (not everyone likes being able to hear the whoosh sound), and ease of install on the assembly line...performance is at best #4 on their list...

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
true that! if it was all about performance from the factory, there would be no mods(or at least not as many). it would all be done for you already, which is not nearly as fun! :thumbsup:

ROSENDO SANCHEZ

Established Member
Ive had the JLT CAI intake for 2 years and I agree it does fit a little tight. The look and finish is the best Ive seen. The performance increase is excellent considering its just an intake mod. For those that don't like it buy another CAI that costs alot more with very little gains and see if it satisfies you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cobra Kai

Never Dies
Established Member
quick01snake said:
hello?!? performance is lower on the list for a ford engineer for a mass-produced vehicle than say, cost (#1), how to fit it into a tight space (fit and finish), sound level (not everyone likes being able to hear the whoosh sound), and ease of install on the assembly line...performance is at best #4 on their list...

LOL. Okay. I agree to disagree on this r/t to SVT engineering R&D vs. aftermarket regarding intake flow bench engineering and will leave it at that. Airflow the computer can't see via MAF voltage will be unused. The ECM uses the IAT data to use an algorithm to determine the density of the air charge. Laminar flow in a less heat conducting (plastic) feed tube should have positive effects on the air density. I think you see a high flow filter with a lot of plastic and rubber shrouding around it to optimize IAT parameters vs. banishing the "whoosh" sound. I will leave the thread now so as not to trigger a JLT jihad. No offence intended by my posts here. :)

Tucker

Funny, I have no PM from the thread starter and my # is all over the place...
Odd!
Yes, this is a simple kit and I and others have proved it works. Big? Yes! Work? Yes!
JLT RAI $150
VMS CAI $400+
Wow, I that's a great deal. I think I'll get one too.

Thanks guys.

Jay

CobraG

Established Member
Tucker said:
Odd!
Yes, this is a simple kit and I and others have proved it works. Big? Yes! Work? Yes!
JLT RAI $150
VMS CAI $400+

Thanks guys.

Jay

JLT :rockon:

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
Tucker said:
Odd!
JLT RAI $150
VMS CAI $400+

Thanks guys.

Jay

doesn't that WMS kit come w/ an aftermarket maf though? BTW i'm still a JLT fan all the way...

Tucker

quick01snake said:
doesn't that WMS kit come w/ an aftermarket maf though? BTW i'm still a JLT fan all the way...
Yes, which a 99, 01 Cobra does not need. The stock MAF is great and good to 400 RWHP.

cobra2798

I have no car
Established Member
I have a buddy with the JLT CAI and his elbow is actually melting, is this normal? he says uts not a big deal though cause the gains are worth it.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
cobra2798 said:
I have a buddy with the JLT CAI and his elbow is actually melting, is this normal? he says uts not a big deal though cause the gains are worth it.

The rubber elbow?

Odd. Mine's not melting after 13K.

AJRED99

"Almost Stock"
Established Member
themadgmkillr said:
yeah I agree Hamilton, but I think the bigger 95 MAF would payoff down the road, if your building a N/A beast or something...I dunno...I like mine like no other...

For what it's worth, I am currently running the WMS CAI W/pro- M 95mm Maf and I love the fit and performance, however I'm maxing out the MAF. I datalog the car and at 5800 rpms my MAF counts are 1002. I just ordered a JLT RAI on monday and a SCT ba2400 MAF. Oh in case your wondering I'm not sure of my current hp level, I just put this combo together, does anyone know what the 95mm MAF's max out at?

Stitch

Established Member
Tucker said:
Odd!
JLT RAI $150
VMS CAI $400+

Thanks guys.

Jay

I did PM you regarding the heat shield.

As I said many times. I'll be getting a Dyno May 20th. My current #'s are 302/300. If I see atleast a 10rwhp gain, I'll keep it, otherwise I'll be taking it off as the poor fit/finish does not out weigh the power gains (to me).

This is my opinion of the product. Yes the RAI kit is simple, but a few design changes would make it 100 times better.

Users who are viewing this thread