Disturbing GT350 Exhaust revelation

BlownAway03

Established Member
No wonder everyone has been raving over the GT350 exhaust. It's artificailly enhanced inside the vehicle, a la BMW. Though this doesn'the affect whats heard outside, For a purist type car, this seems really cheesy to me. I stumbled upon this info on a neighboring mustang forum. This is quoted from a Ford service document.

"ESE - 2.3L And 5.2L ESE is an audio system feature that enhances certain engine tones typically induced under wide openthrottle or heavy part-throttle conditions. The system uses a DACMC (contained within the ACM) and theaudio system speakers.The DACMC determines the engine tone to enhance based upon engine rotation speed data, engine torquedata, and accelerator pedal position data from the PCM. The data from the PCM is processed and convertedinto an analog audio signal, transmitted to the DACMC internal tone generator, and output by the ACM to theaudio DSP module as fluctuating AC voltage. The audio DSP module sends the signal to the LHF and RHFdoor midwoofer (without Shaker) or woofer (with Shaker) speakers and right and left parcel shelf (with 5.2L)speakers as fluctuating AC voltage."

THE_EVIL_TW1N

Established Member
No wonder everyone has been raving over the GT350 exhaust. It's artificailly enhanced inside the vehicle, a la BMW. Though this doesn'the affect whats heard outside, For a purist type car, this seems really cheesy to me. I stumbled upon this info on a neighboring mustang forum. This is quoted from a Ford service document.

"ESE - 2.3L And 5.2L ESE is an audio system feature that enhances certain engine tones typically induced under wide openthrottle or heavy part-throttle conditions. The system uses a DACMC (contained within the ACM) and theaudio system speakers.The DACMC determines the engine tone to enhance based upon engine rotation speed data, engine torquedata, and accelerator pedal position data from the PCM. The data from the PCM is processed and convertedinto an analog audio signal, transmitted to the DACMC internal tone generator, and output by the ACM to theaudio DSP module as fluctuating AC voltage. The audio DSP module sends the signal to the LHF and RHFdoor midwoofer (without Shaker) or woofer (with Shaker) speakers and right and left parcel shelf (with 5.2L)speakers as fluctuating AC voltage."
I fail to see how this matters at all. If it sounds great from outside the vehicle, I don't see the drawback of it sounding even better for the user/owner experiencing it inside.

Lemers

Established Member
It's like a bar tender diluting his alcohol with water. The sound of the engine inside the car IS a measure of performance for purchasers. Manufacturers are using tricks to sell you performance that is faked by use of a speaker.

-------------------------------------------------
2016 GT350 Magnetic w/Black Stripes / Black Roof /Tech Package, ETA 10 April (Kaiserslautern, Germany), under MSRP

THE_EVIL_TW1N

Established Member
It's like a bar tender diluting his alcohol with water. The sound of the engine inside the car IS a measure of performance for purchasers. Manufacturers are using tricks to sell you performance that is faked by use of a speaker.

-------------------------------------------------
2016 GT350 Magnetic w/Black Stripes / Black Roof /Tech Package, ETA 10 April (Kaiserslautern, Germany), under MSRP
I've heard some exhausts that sound great, but the power those engines make are mediocre by today's standards (5.0 HO, 331/347 strokers, LS1's, 4.6 DOHC, etc.). Should they muffle their cars to Prius quiet since their performance no longer match their exhaust tones?

BlownAway03

Established Member
I've heard some exhausts that sound great, but the power those engines make are mediocre by today's standards (5.0 HO, 331/347 strokers, LS1's, 4.6 DOHC, etc.). Should they muffle their cars to Prius quiet since their performance no longer match their exhaust tones?

Not getting the point you're trying to make. My Point is, this car's main claim to fame is is it's flat plane crank and the exhaust note it produces. Ford diluting that with artificial additional speaker noise seems cheesy. You don't see them advertising that feature on the Shelby, now do you?

THE_EVIL_TW1N

Established Member
Not getting the point you're trying to make. My Point is, this car's main claim to fame is is it's flat plane crank and the exhaust note it produces. Ford diluting that with artificial additional speaker noise seems cheesy. You don't see them advertising that feature on the Shelby, now do you?
It's not blaring it from exterior speakers, and it sounds fantastic from outside as it is, so I don't see the gripe at all.

HEMI LOL

Twin Screwed
Established Member
seriously. this thread title. talk about click bait.

this is a zero issue. the sound tube era comes from customers demanding less NVH, and then simultaneously complaining the car is too quiet.

liter of cola

Established Member
I agree that this is pretty homo. So now instead of sound tubes they are pumping it through the speakers? Thats pretty wack. This car just needs a muffler and resonator delete. Period.

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Ford is using the audio system to do what most owners do anyway..
.............................make their car sound like something it isn't.....a race car !!
A car that makes hp doesn't have to rely on gimmicks.

Last edited:

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Tip of the iceberg.

I wonder if GT owners will balk if a similar system is put into play in an attempt to make the V6 sound like something more. New Raptor as well.

SlowSVT

Established Member
They should piped in the sound of a 1986 5.0 Fox Mustang with a cat back which would be awesome.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Damn man, that sucks. You should sell yours.

OP is the man that's been bitching ever since he found out what dealers could get for them. Talked about his 10k discount on his c7z51(a car that he hated so much he did not keep it for a year), about the GT350 lack of power and how his discounted HC is so much better!

BlownAway03 this must be why Ben sold his HC and purchased two GT350, because of artificial interior sound the HC does not have!

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
People want quiet, smooth cars and to hear the engine, too. This car was likely too quiet on the inside, so they pump in noise.

This isn't anything new.

GM does it too.

PTYHRD

Established Member
Don't they do this with most new cars? Even m3/4s etc? I kinda figured was the case. Def heard some scratching through the speakers a few times.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
It really makes no sense to me. Add insulation and noise deadening stuff to make it luxurious then add special ways to hear more noise. Whatever! Both add too much weight!

Users who are viewing this thread