Do you still have your gallbladder?

carrrnuttt

My shit don't stink
Established Member
I was asked that all day today as I was tested and prodded because I had the most excruciating night of pain in my stomach last night.

Turns out, I only get to say "yes" to that question for only a little time longer.

They sent me to get an ultrasound, and even though the tech said that my gallbladder looked "nasty," I held out hope.

But my wife (a nurse) looked at the report and the ultrasound images, and confirmed that yep, I not only have an inflamed gallbladder, but that I also have gallstones. She says that pretty much guarantees that my gallbladder is coming out as soon as I get scheduled to talk to a surgeon.

As of this very moment, I'm off of fatty foods (my MF-ing favorite kind of food! :mj:), and that would stay like that for the rest of my life after I get the gallbladder taken out.

So, anyone else here get this stupid organ taken out? How did it affect your diet and your lifestyle? I'm not usually a sharing MF on here (or anywhere), but this has me worried, even though the procedure itself is fairly safe and outpatient. It's the "rest of my life" thing that bothers me.

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
I had to rush a coworker to the ER for severe abdominal pains a couple of years ago, they ended up taking his gallbladder out. I know he stays away from BBQ these days, not sure what other life impacts he has though.

shanezt

corn fed
Established Member
i was diagnosed with gallstones years ago, doctor said is i can live with the pain when the act up then i can keep it. its still there, although it does lead to some sleepless nights!

Oh yeah, my family is mexican and the doctors said to cut out spicy food along with fatty food. I told him there is no point in living if one cant enjoy spicy hot mexican food.

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Your wife is a nurse, so she should be able to prep you for life changes after your gall bladder is removed. Yes? I just had a right hip replacement done 4 weeks ago, and I'm still adjusting. No more pain, but I do have life changes/adjustments going forward. I'll adjust. You will, too. :thumbsup:

SHOdown220

Established Member
Friend of mine had his out a few years back. Far as I know he didn't really change his diet but he does have some of the most rank farts you've ever smelt. So there is an upside to this whole ordeal, you know clearing out aisles at the grocery store, getting that whole theatre to yourself, seat all to yourself on the bus, things like that

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
My father-in-law had his out and he takes some sort of prescription powder in a drink when he wakes up. Since he started doing that, he pretty much eats anything he wants. I think it keeps his body from absorbing so much of the fat from the food he eats.

I have a slow acting gallbladder. They said that I can have it out if I prefer, but really I'd rather keep it. My biggest problem is when I eat fatty foods, my gallbladder doesn't release when it should and instead fills up and causes pain. Then all at once it releases.. Usually followed by a mild hot flash, and a trip to the john. I have cut down on a lot of fatty foods, but I still eat a well marbled steak a couple times a week. It doesn't bother me nearly as much now. Oh, and I can actually feel and hear my gallbladder release.. It's like a pop. It perplexed the hell out of my doctor when they saw it on the hidascan.

-Jeff

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Just asked what he was taking..

Cholestyrmine for Oral Suspension USP

Said it tastes like shit though.

ssssnake

Established Member
I had my gallbladder taken out in the eighties - BEFORE they started taking it out through the navel. The pain I had before they took it out (it went on for months) was excruciating. I thought I was dying. Now, I can eat anything, but I do better when heavy or spicy food is eaten early in the day.

EYG03COBRA

Established Member
Mine was removed about 2 years ago. For the first few months desserts would tear my stomach up! But know everything is normal. I can eat the same things I did before with no problem.

I was in some serious pain after surgery! AVOID SNEEZING AT ALL COST!!! It feels like your ripping your insides open when you sneeze. Bear hug a pillow when sneezing, it helps.

32ValveRom

Don't mess with Teksids
Established Member
Well, I've never had any health issues because of my age but I'm curious. You guys are saying this gallbladder stems from eating too much fat and/or spicy food?

ssssnake

Established Member
I was in some serious pain after surgery! AVOID SNEEZING AT ALL COST!!! It feels like your ripping your insides open when you sneeze. Bear hug a pillow when sneezing, it helps.

I got emotionally attached to the pillow they made me in the hospital (it was a sheet folded into a small, hard square and taped). Excellent for coughing and for sitting up. They wouldn't let me have it when I left. :cryying:

Machdup1

Established Member
I'll trade you procedures. I've got a colonoscopy scheduled for next month.

carrrnuttt

My shit don't stink
Established Member
Some answers are making me feel better, others aren't. :whine:

I'll trade you procedures. I've got a colonoscopy scheduled for next month.

Ugh. I had one of those many years ago because they thought I might have digestive issues. The devil brew they make you drink to empty your stomach out before the procedure is just something out of a horror movie. Have you started on it? If so, are you posting here from a toilet?

Machdup1

Established Member
Some answers are making me feel better, others aren't. :whine:

Ugh. I had one of those many years ago because they thought I might have digestive issues. The devil brew they make you drink to empty your stomach out before the procedure is just something out of a horror movie. Have you started on it? If so, are you posting here from a toilet?

It isn't until next month. This will my second date with that doctor so I know the drill (excuse the pun). Getting old sucks.

Users who are viewing this thread