Do you think movie theaters will go away?

west08

Established Member
I like going because I enjoy popcorn bot popped in a microwave, but I don't enjoy the concession prices. We also try to go after a movie has been out for a few weeks and go to an early showing as well to avoid the crowd. The theater we go to is defiantly not on its way out. Seems to be always busy and they also serve alcohol which probably helps.

04YellowGT

Established Member
I hate going to the movies. We almost always sit near someone that has to talk the entire movie. Then I have to get pissed enough to tell then to shut the hell up. I have done this to kids (teens) and adults. It always amazes me how people pay $10+ to go to a movie and then talk the entire time. The last two movies we went to a weekend matinee and it wasn't bad.

If you offered me streaming for the same price or even a little more, I would stream 99 out of 100 times.

2KBlackGT

The Man, Myth, The Legend
Established Member
No theaters are not going anywhere anytime soon.

I love going to theaters, and for some reason people talking and texting doesn't really bother me, well to a degree it doesn't. I'm going to see Fast 7 Friday morning.

oldmodman

Established Member
I won't go to a movie theater anymore.

With one exception.

There is one near me that doesn't allow kids at all. They serve drinks to your seat. And you seat is a super comfortable leather chair with a table between two chairs.

And they serve good food too.

So. No kids or teens. Good food (bet your ass it's expensive), booze, not pitch black inside, enough light to eat by. A real adult environment.

But I still have to admit I prefer to watch movies at home. For free. Everything eventually shows up in HD on cable so what do I care if I don't see it until a year or three later.

TK Doom

Established Member
I built a theater in my basement with a 138" cinemascope screen and 7.2 surround so I don't have to sit in theaters any longer. I will still sometimes go see a 'special' movie (not kid related), but will only go at the times where the least amount of people will be there. Nothing is worse than a crowded theater, especially if there are younger people there.

This, only 181" and 7.1. Will be seeing Star Wars in December in the pay theater, everything else, mine is better. Going to Star Wars so I can see it "first".

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
I won't go to a movie theater anymore.

With one exception.

There is one near me that doesn't allow kids at all. They serve drinks to your seat. And you seat is a super comfortable leather chair with a table between two chairs.

And they serve good food too.

So. No kids or teens. Good food (bet your ass it's expensive), booze, not pitch black inside, enough light to eat by. A real adult environment.

But I still have to admit I prefer to watch movies at home. For free. Everything eventually shows up in HD on cable so what do I care if I don't see it until a year or three later.

Getting ready to open one like that near me.

VenomousDSG

Get ready to fly!
Established Member
I'm sure theaters have hurt over the past 5 years with increased piracy on the net. But i think they won't be going anywhere anytime soon. I don't particularly like them myself either. They're filthy, you have rude slob patrons, expensive food and concessions. It would have to be a damn good movie for me to go see it in theaters. Last movie I saw there was John Wick 6 months ago, and before that, i think I saw Dark Knight Rises.

tallfreak

Just a newb
Established Member
+1, I only go to see a movie on Sunday mornings or at a CineBistro. There are normally less than twenty folks. Sometimes under ten. The CineBistro route also works. Big Chair, good food and the one here has a dress code and does not allow children after 8:00p.m.
That sounds awesome. I wouldn't mind at all paying more for the food and ticket if it was an enjoyable experience. Malco runs everything around here. A prime lot was bought in my town on a very busy road in one of the fastest growing areas in America. A sign was put up saying such and such movie theater was coming soon. That was almost 10 years ago, a little over a year ago Malco built a small theater on that location.

I like going because I enjoy popcorn bot popped in a microwave, but I don't enjoy the concession prices. We also try to go after a movie has been out for a few weeks and go to an early showing as well to avoid the crowd. The theater we go to is defiantly not on its way out. Seems to be always busy and they also serve alcohol which probably helps.
Our theaters don't pop it fresh anymore. They dump giant clear bags of pre-popped corn into heaters.

Its not that I think all movies suck nowadays. I still enjoy the summer blockbusters and the "grownup" award nominee films later in the year usually have several I want to see. Its that a lot of parents around here aren't very good parents and let their kids do whatever they want. They let the theater babysit them. Its pathetic.

Got Torque

well do yah?
Established Member
Love going to the theatre, hate being close to inconsiderate people who talk, use their phones, etc.

Wife and I went to see Godzilla last year and thought it would be a good idea to go see a morning show to avoid all the idiots, big mistake as we had three guys in their 20's sitting a couple seats from us who were drinking and wouldn't shut-up. The scene when they said "godzilla", they would keep repeating "gojira" over and over. We moved eventually and got free passes to another movie but I didn't get to enjoy the movie at all.

We still plan to see a bunch this year, Furious 7, Avengers, Jurassic Park, Spectre, Hunger Games, Star Wars among some others but hopefully will have some better experiences.

I can't see them going away but like most industries you need to adapt and keep changing to keep things fresh and interesting. We have some VIP higher end theatres now with alcohol, seats with tray tops, servers that come to your seat, etc.

Last edited:

terrible one

American Made
Established Member
I go maybe once every other year. I hate the theaters due to the high price of everything, and the jackasses that can't go 2 hours without shutting up or playing on their phones.

ViciousJay

Established Member
Last movie I saw aat the theatre was the dark knight rises... Directv already offers to watch movies at the theatre on PPV

4a7191a

Established Member
I'll be seeing a few this year. I say I go out to the movies about 6 times a year. Flask of JD and order the biggest coke they have. Lol.

TorchMach

Established Member
I think there will always be a few theaters...for sure they'll start dying down as in the next few years I see us being able to stream new releases. So a theater will turn into more of a experience with awesome sound and IMAX minimum...like a real treat.

Kevins89notch

Established Member
I don't care how much you spend on a home system. Seeing an action movie like Transformers or the Hobbit on a 70'x90' true Imax screen that's also imax 3D, is simply insane. I've been blown away every single time by my local imax setup. It's worth every bit of the $17 or so for a ticket. I can not wait for Jurassic World to come out.

Last edited:

TorchMach

Established Member
I don't care how much you spend on a home system. Seeing an action movie like Transformers of the Hobbit on a 70'x90' true Imax screen that's also imax 3D, is simply insane. I've been blown away every single time by my local imax setup. It's worth every bit of the $17 or so for a ticket. I can not wait for Jurassic World to come out.

Exactly!! I can see theaters going away for "regular" movies, but for action movies I can see them staying.

Blown 89

Established Member
I used to go to the movies a few times a month but haven't been to a movie theater in over a year at this point. It's a combination of not having the time, prices are too expensive, and the dumbasses that ruin the experience for everyone.

They're not going anywhere though. There are a metric ton of theaters around here and they sell out almost every weekend. It's still as popular as ever for young people, just because we're getting old and don't go doesn't mean they're in any real trouble.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
It's a stagnant business. Regal Cinnemas stock is at the same price it was trading at when they went public in 2002. Theaters need to innovate or become the next drive in's.

Mike, I have to agree with you about it being a stagnant business, but innovations are going to be really tough. IMO as home theater systems increase in numbers, more people will prefer to watch new movies from the comfort of their own homes. No long walks from the car to the theater entrance. No sticky floors. No dirty seats. Less money spent on the movie (and you can often view it again within a set time-frame), and your snack options are bigger and cheaper. And you don't have to deal with rude people talking. So yeah, I can easily see theaters ultimately disappear like the drive-ins did. There isn't, unfortunately, much existing theaters can do as far as innovations, though. If innovations were possible they would have tried them by now. I remember many years ago some theaters tried a dinner and a movie thing where a rear section was reserved for patrons who wanted a meal with their movie. Didn't work. I would predict within the next 10 years theaters will disappear. Or most of them will. JMO.

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
Sounds like some of you go to some crappy theaters.

We only go to the Alamo Drafthouse or Gold Class cinema. Full menu of food and drinks, a no talking/no cell phone policy with very little tolerance.

DMassey

No Habla Jibber Jabber
Established Member
Numbers are down, but I figure that is mostly just because movies in general suck nowadays. The quality of home theatres has no doubt made a mark too. But alot of people still like the "event" of going out an opening weekend with friends/family and watching a movie; and I'm one of them.

I'm one of those people that think society is moving too far toward a "do it all in your home" type of society. I like going to the Post Office and talking to people, I liked going to the video store to get a movie and talk to people, and I like going to the theatre to watch a movie and see who I run into... it's just going to get where everyone just stays in the house and have no social skills.

But nothing lasts forever. I don't think it will be any time soon, but as with ANYTHING... theatres will have to evolve or die at some point down the road.

Users who are viewing this thread