Does a full keg of beer float?

Will it float in water?

• Yes.

Votes: 32 39.5%
  • No.

Votes: 37 45.7%
  • Never had a full one long enough to test.

Votes: 12 14.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

astrodudepsu

1of72 Hater
Established Member
We used to put kegs in oversized trash cans with ice/water mix to keep them cold. It did not float right away but it didn't take long until it was floating.

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
We used to put kegs in oversized trash cans with ice/water mix to keep them cold. It did not float right away but it didn't take long until it was floating.
You realize why that is, right?

Colder water falls to the bottom of the trashcan, and since colder water is denser, it requires less water volume to be displaced for something to float.

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
Ok bunch of bill nyes in here lol. Someone paypal me and il fill my keg lol. I think it would float bc of the contents inside. I'm not saying it floats I'm saying I think it would.

RX1Cobra

Established Member
You realize why that is, right?

Colder water falls to the bottom of the trashcan, and since colder water is denser, it requires less water volume to be displaced for something to float.
Or because they drank the beer. :poke:

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
I think what is called for is that we test this in Houston. Have a keg party for science. For the sake of SVTP's general edification.

In fact, we can set these up in multiple cities and states, to occur at the same time, and measure the rates at which the kegs empty and begin to float relative to their position near the equator.

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
I think what is called for is that we test this in Houston. Have a keg party for science. For the sake of SVTP's general edification.

In fact, we can set these up in multiple cities and states, to occur at the same time, and measure the rates at which the kegs empty and begin to float relative to their position near the equator.

How about the Dfw area next month? Got a scale and shit so we can make it official? I bet natty light floats the best lol.

ScreamingFast

Chicks love big Slicks!!
Established Member
I work for a beer distributor and a full keg weighs about 160ish. I think it will sink at full weight but 3/4 full it should float.

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
It's a good start. But no experiment is completely valid unless it has been reproduced. And I bet they didn't perform a salt-water variant. There is much still to explore in the whole "Do kegs float?" hypothesis.

:thumbsup: That is a really cool link! Never saw that before.

Mystic-SVT

snuggle fest, mmmmm!
Established Member

I can gather some science geeks and some beer drinkers here in cetral texas and we can sacrifice a couple of kegs all for the sake of science and svtp.

Anyone else willing to get drunk for science and svtp pm me :beer:

JMoore112

JM0 SVT
Established Member
I went to college. Full kegs do not float.

lol.

Have kept keg's in the river before while camping, never floated... Not sure about a less than full keg though. Once we pulled them out of the river, we finished them.

Not sure about the ****ty beer idea, would anyone even bother getting a keg of those beers? lol

derklug

Seriously? No, never.
Established Member
Premium Member
In the name of science, we have to go with craft brewed vs. mass produced, ales vs. lagers, seasonals vs. regular runs........I'm picturing devoting the next couple of years to science. Aint I just the Noble one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread