Does the Company you work for invade your personal life?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Mandatory volunteer work? LOL. That would mean time to move on.
Mandatory LinkedIn account? Another LOL. And another reason to move on.

Whatever happened to a person's personal life and personal time being personal and private? :dw:

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
I work for myself so yeah. I don't make myself maintain a LinkedIn profile or volunteer my time so I'm OK with it. :D

Blown 89

Established Member
I'd be OK with a Linked-in profile but I don't work for free so I'd tell them to take their volunteer work and stuff it. Same goes for information from my doctor. If it's not critical to my job take a hike. That being said I'm self employed.

2001sleeper

Established Member
When I worked at Esson I remember them basically forcing us to donate to the United way. When it was that time of the year immediate management would walk around and "follow up" on your donation and if you haven't donated you would have your department boss talk to you about the importance of donating. It felt like such a scam.

On the bright side they did force community service, but it was on the company click twice a year and it was planned by the company. So you and a group of employees you relatively know would have to go build/paint/repair something.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
There are many upsides to the company I work for, so it's not all bad - namely I get the corporate standard 401k match PLUS a full old school pension plan. I'm pretty sure it's 80% of the average of my salary over the last 5yrs if I'm here 30yrs. I won't be here that long, but if I stay 25yrs, it's like 70%. That plus my retirement accounts, plus no mortgage and I'll be ballin in my 60's lol

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
Benefits sound similar to my work. Next year I will be fully invested into my pension fund. 6% 401k match, great, cheap benefits. Working for a large enterprise, I understand why they require/restrict some social media stuff... 1 person can represent the WHOLE business... Be it for good or bad.

Fox-4

OFFICER BARBRADY
Established Member
I'm required to volunteer for a few things each year but I'm also allowed to disappear for 10 weeks every summer.

Sounds like a school teacher position?

My employer does not really care on what I do as long I spread confidential to the public, that's including HIPPA.

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
My GF is in corporate for a Fortune 500 co. URBN. She is on the buying/creative side. They do not mess with or monitor their employees, they don't drug test, you can drink at work to a certain extent. It's like a modern day Mad Men environment.

Last edited:

FIVEHOE

Established Member
Damn, there would have to be a lot of incentive for me to agree to mandatory volunteer work. Like people have said, when you aren't on the clock, you should be able to do whatever you damn well please.

The company I work for wasn't even that strict, and my position gets contracted out to a few prisons in Az. Just had to go through 3 drug tests and a government background check. No checking of social media (that I'm aware of), or anything else weird.

Blown 89

Established Member
find a new job if you dont like the rules.
That's the way I look at it. I'm surrounded by people that hate their jobs every day but none of them ever leave. I don't get it. They make it sound like they're being held there by gunpoint.

Stanley

Established Member
Premium Member
I "have" to do one company sponsored volunteer activity a year. I pick either something that my kids can do, which has been painting mugs or ceramic pots for old people or something that will take place during business hours.

cbj5259

Established Member
My "company" does not allow us to have Facebook, Twitter or instagram accounts unless the administration has access to our passwords. Our union accepted this as part of the collective bargaining process a few years ago. If we are found to have one in violation of that policy it means time off. Also, the "company" may cancel our scheduled vacation days and regular days off if a state of emergency is declared. I'm not complaining because I knew what I was getting into when I signed up.

Users who are viewing this thread